1. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Create a Character Synopsis

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Oscar Leigh, Apr 18, 2016.

Okay, so the idea of this is simple. You give a character trait. Any character trait. And the next person builds a basic profile of them based on that. It doesn't have to elaborate. And that person also provides the next prompt. So on. The standard writing prompts model for this forum.
    So, first prompt, their mother was very domineering which has left them with a latent urge to break free and be a little rebellious.
    Go! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. Oscar Leigh

Anyone?

3. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

I don't understand the rules. Is a profile the same thing as a prompt or is the character trait the prompt. Also, is your prompt a trait or a profile?

I thought the game would be something where someone gives one word. "Greedy" or "lazy" or something. Then the next person elaborates and gives a new word. But yours seem more like elaboration so I'm confused.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Oscar Leigh

Okay. So, I gave a prompt, you build off it, and provide the new prompt as well. You write two things. One is your profile, the other is your prompt. If you're confused look at the thread "What Would Your MC Do?" it's the same format.

5. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

Okay I'll try it.

Profile:
    They become so rebellious they decide to rob a grocery store. Unfortunately, the grocery store only sells pineapples because it is going out of business and everything else was already bought. So the teenagers walk out with a bunch of pineapples and the cops mistake the pineapples for guns and start shooting. Alas, the teenagers characteristics were flawed and they reach a speedy death all thanks to their mother. Riots ensue and the world is never the same.

Prompt: Guy is lazy because he wants to emulate his dog who is also lazy.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm doing this right.

6. Oscar Leigh

I was thinking more personality profile than bio. Sorry for the confusion. Turns out I'm not very good at this. :bigoops::bigoops:

7. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

It's probably me. At some point I flushed my reading comprehension down the toilet and now it's come back as a full-grown sewer alligator that terrorizes the forums. At any rate, I'll watch the game played for a little bit before jumping back in.

srlekhak and Simpson17866 like this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

Assuming anyone else cares. :cry::cry::cry:

9. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

He, is tall, and mysterious, and most women think he looks like James Dean.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

Um, prompt?

11. Justin Phillips

Oops sorry I ruined it. I misread post, I thought we were building a singular character one by one. Which I think would be real fun to see how deep we could make one.

Um ok

She never believed in love, because her father was a drunk and used her mom as a recreational punching bag.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

She is cylindrical and red and filled to the brim with sand. She enjoys hanging from the ceiling in her spare time and works at the boxing arena.

A man always worked hard, but then he saw how happy his dog was and how little work his dog did. This caused the man to embark on a quest to be the laziest person alive.

srlekhak and Oscar Leigh like this.
  13. FaythFuI

FaythFuI Member

The man decided against keeping his dog, considering the thing was too much work anyway, and the dog itself was hardly a competent companion. The man himself works from home twice a week for a maximum of three hours a day, and decides to get a goldfish instead.

A woman is fascinated with things that put her life in danger, and is obsessed with the adrenaline high she gets when she takes serious risks.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

OK, OK, I take it back. But I still don't follow the game.

15. Oscar Leigh

Take what back? And what do you mean, follow the game? As in, you don't understand what I'm going for? Or you don't want to participate?

16. Oscar Leigh

She dressed like a tomboy and occasionally smokes. She hates dresses because they're so confining for her running around. When she was a kid, her mother called her "monkey" because she kept climbing around, she was so full of energy. She has red hair that she wears long and frizzy. Her boyfriend is an goth with abusive parents, and she saved him from committing suicide once. They like to like awake and night and talk critically about movies they've seen. Sometimes they go see ones just to mock them. She rides a motorcycle and often takes him for rides, sometimes very reckless ones. they live for the moment. Her name is Laura and his name is Quinn. They're embarrassed to admit it, but they once talked about ship names for them. They liked Laurinn. They can be pretty sweet sometimes. Laura's best friend is her snake Asmodeus. She reckons that's a pretty damn cool name. She wonders where she'll be in twenty or so years. But then she thinks, nah, I've got better things to do than worry about that. And off she rides. :bigsmile:

P: They've been in love with their best friend for who knows how long, they've know each other forever, but they haven't told them.

17. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I don't get the rules. I may be slow.

18. Oscar Leigh

It's like the thread "What Would Your MC Do?". Each person provides the answer to the previous and the prompt to the next. Thereby creating a chain. And it's about quickly creating characters. In the same vein as that was about answering questions on a character of yours. Or the Word Association Game is about chaining words, that one's easy and really just for fun. Have you done one of these before? I was kind of hoping for people like @Cave Troll who've been around in this section on other threads.
    (I may be just as bad at explaining as you are slow)

19. Justin Phillips

Yeah each new post completes the last profile, and starts a new one. I think the initial confusion is the first couple of posts. If you follow helloI'mrex's post, that is the structure i think Oscar is going for, but I think he is wanting more complete and detailed profiles, (the first part of the game) and then you start a new, completely unrelated prompt. (Part 2 of game)

I think it can actually be a fun game, just needs to get going. But someone should also start one that each post adds a characteristic to one singular characterre, with maybe a max of 20 traits per character, and then a profile has to be built for the made up character, maybe by op, before moving on to next. I think that would be fun too.

*edit, instead of making new post to litter this thread, I will respond to Oscar below me*

That's true, there probably isn't really a good way to go about it. your idea is good.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. Oscar Leigh

Yeah, I was considering that but I decided that required more cooperation and that's going to make it more awkward.

Justin Phillips likes this.
  21. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    They've been in love with their best friend for who knows how long, they've know each other forever, but they haven't told them.

He had always had his eye on her, and they often traded flirtatious gazes. But he felt as though she was just humoring him. So one day he asked her to join him for a drink at the cantina, to which she blushed and accepted the invitation. Over a an ale, they really were hitting it off. They had known each other since childhood, and shared many a good memory of growing up together. They found it quite pleasant to be stationed together, even though he was a Captain and she a Med Tech. They drank and shared many a story into the wee hours of the morning, until they were shooed out of the cantina. He being the cordial soldier, walked her back to her quarters. As they were about to say their partings, she dragged him into her quarters by the collar of his fatigues. Holding him tightly, she pressed her lips to his. Leading him to her bunk, and they made passionate love. Entwined after in affectionate cuddling, savoring the opportunity to express their affection for one another.

They are going to an unpleasant appointment, and are trying to convince them self that it is for the better in the end. :p

22. Oscar Leigh

Um, that's more of a bio. I'm talking more of a character concept. Sorry for the confusion.

23. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    My bad. :p Well at least I am trying to participate, will do better on the next one.

Oscar Leigh likes this.