Read all their Works?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Lemex, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Xueqin-II

Xueqin-II New Member

That is quite a task... I believe that he wrote quite heavily in historical novels and nonfiction. That and poetry.

2. McConnaughay

McConnaughay New Member

I feel like I should tweak it a tad then.

3. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

I rarely read all of a fiction writer's works. If I do, it was usually unintentional. I mean, in the sense that I happen to find another book by the same author and would give it a shot since I liked his other work. The only exceptions I can recall presently is the Sherlock Holmes series by Doyle, but I think Doyle wrote some other fiction works so he wouldn't even count actually.

4. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

Stephen King under work. Many novels of Mika Waltari and almost all of J.k. Rowling.

5. justwriting

justwriting New Member

I think I've almost read all of Douglas Adams. Here's the irony: first time I got interested in buying Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was after watching few reruns of the bbc tv show and then reading his obituary. The guy who wrote the obituary did such an amazing job at it that I had to go and get the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the same day. After reading it I got around to buying the Dirk Gently series and at the end Salmon of Doubt. I think I have only Shada and The Meaning of Liff left.
    I did got on the Phillip K. Dick crazy rocket train full of magical psychedelics and then I had to stop -- it got too weird for me. I'm currently on a prolonged break from his works. I must say though, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is quite something, and Ubik is quite something else.

6. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

Nope. I am pretty much the opposite of what the OP describes. I read books because of what I expect them to accomplish for me, not because of who wrote them. There is little to no correlation between the author of a book and the book's potential to be a good reward of the time I spend reading it. I never give second thought to the name of a book's author before I decide whether or not to read it.

I am very selective about the books I read, and when I start reading a book, it is usually after I have spent some time thinking about the premise and letting the idea grow on me. I usually read Wikipedia's plot synopsis, and Sparknotes' plot synopsis if available, before diving into the book itself. I am heavily biased toward books that have garnered critical acclaim over the years -- apart from fan fiction, I can only remember reading one fictional book in my life within ten years after it was published.

I can only think of two authors by whom I have read more than three books: CS Lewis and my best friend.

There are a handful of authors who tend to write about things that interest me. George Orwell had a knack for anti-authoritarian political commentary. CS Lewis had a knack for stories with profound spiritual meaning. But those are observations that I made after making an independent decision to read each book on its individual merits.

I do not get the fan mentality, not only regarding authors, but also regarding musicians, actors, directors, etc. Sometimes I wish all books were published anonymously, because that way, reviews and discussions of books would be free of the distracting baggage associated with people's likes and dislikes of particular authors. That would be the only way for all books to be judged fairly.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's not a fan mentality for some of us. People seek out all the works from a particular writer because that writer is really good. Take James Joyce for example. Everything he's written is a very good (well, Finnegan's Wake is debatable). Cormac McCarthy is another example.

8. Michael the Angel

Michael the Angel Member

YES

Ferenc Máté is an amazing author, and I've read all his works. Like @Cogito had said earlier in the thread, I tend to get frustrated very frequently when I try to reach out to new authors, so when I find one I can stand, I tend to stick with them until I've covered their material.