1. HippieLord

HippieLord New Member

Reading to write

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by HippieLord, Jul 15, 2008.

Hmmm. Two years ago I began writing in the summer...it didn't last. I spent every second with either friends or in some sport so I haven't written since then, but I love to write. I've never really been much of a reading type; not that I don't like reading, but that I don't know what to read.

I draw my inspiration from things I read, shows I watch, and just about everything else that exists. However, I want to get back into writing seeing how my gf is going away for college next month... Anyway, I think that in order for me to improve my own writing I should get into reading a lot more than I have and since I don't know the first thing to look for I was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions?

I like fantasy, but not something that every character is a different kind of creature. I like it to be somewhat realistic but more out there than possible. I guess I'm looking for something that's basically a cross between anime (for the unique and inspiring magic/techniques) and something like the Final Fantasy games. I prefer action/adventure types.

2. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

Try the Belgariad by David Eddings if you like fantasy. I loved it and its one of my favourtie series.
    Also if you like fatasy and comedy try Terry Pratchett.

I'm not big on anime so I can't really help you there. Sorry. But I can tell you there are a lot of really talented fantasy writers on here so get in there and review the work and see what you think, it improves your writing to critique and read others!

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Look back through your book collection (you DO have a book collection, right?), and pick out a few books that made a lasting positive impression. Reread those book, but because you already know the story and how it ends, pay attention to how the author wrote them. Read a section, decide whether it is one of the better ones, then try to pin down why it was or was not great.

It will be slower going that reading for pure enjoyment, but I find it a very pleasurable experience. It's a voyage of discovery, and you can gain new insights every time you reread a book.

However, do switch books, authors, and even genres. It will be easier to pick out style elements unique to each author, plus you'll collect more ideas from a wider pool of minds.

4. HippieLord

HippieLord New Member

Um... to be honest, the only books I've ever read (and truely enjoyed) taht weren't school related have been the eragon series, and some triligy called... I have to go find the book lol. The Bartimaeus Trilogy. Those and a book called Alhazred...that one wasn't anything that I expected :p It was quite disturbing to begin with but the person who owned the book made me read on...still not sure if it was worth it but I guess I did learn from the experience and aside from the...disturbing parts it was well thought out.

They're the only ones to capture my interest along the lines of what I personally like to write. I've read others but they weren't inspirational to my kind of writing so.

Oh, and I had a question. I have an amazing plot that I think could be well worth getting published if I can become good enough to write it. However, I've heard from somewhere that you cannot publish something that you've posted on a large forum. Is that true?

5. fantasywriter

fantasywriter New Member

I've never actually heard of that rule. I guess some publishers might obide, but surely not.

The Eragon series was great! (Just thought I'd let you all know)

6. Gregory

Gregory New Member

I believe if you have posted only extracts, it should be okay. However, most publishers do not publish books that have already been published and in this day and age, posting your writing on the internet is classed as a means of publishing. Just be careful how much you post. If it's just an opening chapter or two, you should be fine.

If you are worried though, ask some to read it and PM them the story. That way, it's not on an open forum.

As for fantasy series, I highly recommend any of the Robin Hobb trilogies, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time as well as Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

7. HippieLord

HippieLord New Member

Thanks. I'll check some of em out.

8. fantasywriter

fantasywriter New Member

That's what I would say. If it's just a short story, why not post it? But if it's an entire novel . . . it's best just to PM portions of it.

9. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I suggest you start with the fathers of modern fantasy literature: C.S. Lewis (from the Chronicles of Narnia) and our ol' good friend, Mr. Tolkien (the Lord of the Rings). Oh, and read the Harry Potter series. I think almost every fantasy reader/writer starts reading these ones, and then you can search and move on to other series.

Also, if you want something fresh and magical, that is not involved so much with war and conflict, but makes you feel mesmerized, I recommend these books:

Rune Marks, by Joanne Harris
    Septimus Heap, books 1-4 (the ones published so far) by Angie Sage

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you post an entire short story, magazines won't take it, as they want only 'first rights' which will be used up by posting... a few might take 'reprints' but why limit your chances that severely, when you can post just a small excerpt with no consequences?

11. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

god i loved the sword of truth series... they're making a tv series out of it, due this fall.

12. Loli

Loli New Member

Ugggh Eragon.. *headdesk*

Would you not be interested in branching out of fantasy? If you want real, solid inspiration unfamiliar territory is the best place to look.

13. HippieLord

HippieLord New Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I don't really enjoy writing anything other than fantasy though. I might try horror sometime but who knows. I'm going on vacation from the 21st to the 31st down in florida so I don't know if I'll have internet access. I'll try to get a book from the library to take, although they kind of screwed me over. They claimed I had a book overdue for two months when I know for a fact I put it in the drop off.

Woot I posted part of my short story if anyone is interested :-D It's in the Fantasy section.

14. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Many people have mentioned some of my favorites, like Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, and Harry Potter. I loved the Bartimaeus Trilogy too, it's really good. Some other series I liked were The Death Gate Cycle (they have Humans, Elves, and Dwarves, but it's very different from most novels like that), Tales of the Otori (a great series about a magical medieval Japan), and anything by Neil Gaiman.

15. HippieLord

HippieLord New Member

Thanks Krat