1. A.M. Rousso

A.M. Rousso New Member

Real location or not

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by A.M. Rousso, Mar 8, 2017.

Hey
    I have a question - ok, i have a lot, but those are for another day- I'm writing a book and I've got about 7K so far. I don't have an issue with the plot and I would write faster if i didn't have a small dilemma.
    The thing is that the book setting is somewhere in US and I'm not sure if i must write actual locations only or i can use some real locations and some from my imagination. I'm not from US and never been there actually so i do a lot of research ( thank you Google) and i use the google map.
    But no matter how close i look the streets, the buildings, etc, I'm afraid it won't be believable if you know what i mean.
    So....what is better to do? Continue my map search or use more of my imagination and create new areas?

Thank you

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Why are you setting it in the US?

What's wrong with your own town? Or one nearby?

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with using a made-up location (plenty of authors have done it), based around what you've Googled about a real location...or just totally imaginary. The advantage of using a real place - especially one that you know well - is that you can throw in lots of cool references to REAL things that only you know. Sorry, I got that wrong, it's one of the biggest DISadvantages!

3. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

I use both real and imaginary locations. The disadvantage of real locations is that you are limited to what's there and readers can call you out on inaccuracies. With an imaginary location you can give it all the attributes you need.

I have a book simmering in my head that revolves around a small town arboreatum located on a river. Sandpoint, Id is just the town I'm looking for, as far a tourism and arboreatum location, but there is no wild rice or water potatoes, and it's not on the Couer d'Alene Reservation. Saint Maries, Id has those things, plus an overwhelming Jesuit influence which is also necessary. The obvious answer is to create an imaginary town, like Lake Woebegone, MN. Lake Woebegone is an increadably famous imaginary town and many of the people I know have expressed dissapointment at not being able to visit.

A.M. Rousso and Iain Aschendale like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Or Castle Rock, Maine, although fewer people want to visit there :)

KhalieLa and Homer Potvin like this.
  5. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

My wife's first draft was set somewhere in a small town in the US, somewhere between 1930 and say 1950... telephones, no mention of television, no cellphones of course, or computers.

Second draft settled the time frame and location more precisely... 1952 somewhere in Appalachia. She then created an imaginary town, Parham's Mill, with streets, bridges, railroad station, characters' homes mapped out, ice cream soda bar in the pharmacy, basically Anytown, USA but also Erehwon, USA. Like @KhalieLa pointed out, no one will stumble on erroneous details, but anyone from the area will immediately recognize it.

Iain Aschendale and A.M. Rousso like this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

It beats Derry!

7. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Set it in Springfield, NT.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  8. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

When I write contemporary, I use imaginary locations based loosely on real ones. I tend to set things in the SE US, because it's where I'm from, so that I can feel confident about getting the gist of the area right, but the names and specifics are from my head.

In my uf novel the main city is in Georgia and based somewhat off of parts of Atlanta (where I've been several times), but the specific area of it that we spend most of the time in is a historical district that's a mash of my own small town and another that I live nearby. The outskirts are very much inspired by where I grew up in the countryside. Then the second main location is in North Carolina and sort of a conglomeration of three different beaches I've been to on the SE coast. So it's all fake, but with a basis in something that I'm familiar with.

Google maps can be good for getting a sort of familiarity, but personally I always fall back on real experiences. Then again, I don't have any particular desire to write outside of the South unless it's in space, so I guess I'm lucky there.

A.M. Rousso likes this.
  9. A.M. Rousso

A.M. Rousso New Member

Thank you all so much!
    Ok, so it's not a mistake if i 'marry' the real with the imaginary location. I can do that if my kids stop screaming...

Thanks again!

10. Shadowfax

When the sun rises in the West, and sets in the East...

11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed

12. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

Damn, you beat me to it haha.

But seriously, there are a lot of authors who use both real and fictional locations, even in a single book, and also some who alter the details of real locations so they fit the story better. Do whichever works for you. You're writing fiction, after all :)

A.M. Rousso and Homer Potvin like this.
  13. A.M. Rousso

A.M. Rousso New Member

Perhaps in a parallel universe, the sun rises in the West... :)

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. texshelters

texshelters Active Member

What year is your novel set? That will make a difference. If your novel is not location dependent, make it up. If it is, find a place that fits your criteria, i.e., keep looking. Ask a trusted friend where it could be set after giving them some details. Peace, Tex

15. Shadowfax

and kids don't scream...

A.M. Rousso likes this.