Reasons for quitting a job

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Justin Phillips, Apr 12, 2016.

1. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

All of my business partners got arrested so I figured it was time to call it quits.

2. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I've quit jobs because I was bored. In fact, I'd say that was the most common reason up until jobs became scarce.

The second most common reason I've quit (I've quit a lot of jobs) was because the boss was an abusive jackass. One of them came back from a management seminar convinced he was God's gift to employees and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I once had a boss tell me (a year after the fact) that he'd hired me because he felt sorry for me. It was a small town and jobs were hard to come by, but I quit anyway.

I quit another job at a plastics factory because half-way through my very first shift, they put the machine into high gear. Whether it was an initiation or a productivity requirement, I don't know, but it meant not having the freedom to even go to the bathroom if I needed to. So, I got the attention of a supervisor and as soon as he was within a few feet of the machine, I walked away and left him to deal with it.

And just to give you the other side of the coin, three times I've left it too long before quitting or tried to stick it out to the bitter end and wound up having a nervous breakdown followed by severe depression.

Hope that helps.

3. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I quit my last real job (IT manager for a smallish company) mainly out of boredom and being tired of working for a control freak. I quit without notice because HR had a lawyer-fearing policy of not providing references. They would confirm dates of employment, but that's it.

4. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Member

All the reasons have been negative so far. Time for a positive reason. I quit my previous job because my current one paid 30% more.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  5. Kate Sen

Kate Sen Member

The worst job I ever had: my supervisor quit one day without notice, and that's when we all found out that things were not at all what we thought they were. I did not stay long with that job. But I am profoundly grateful that I had that job because no matter how bad things have gotten at any job since then, I just have to remember a few key moments from that job, and I realize that my current job is not so bad.

A few quotes from management of that job "I am not saying this because I am Mrs. Hitler, but ..." Or meeting beginning with "Who has been spreading these rumors?!" - followed by an uncomfortably long silence and profound looks into everyone's eyes, undoubtedly expecting someone to cave, and point the finger at the perpetrators.

A man called Valance likes this.
  6. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

I quit a job after 22 years to get rid of too much stress that was making me seriously ill. Sold up in the UK, went to live in Spain for 2 years where I got my sense of life/work balance back. Now back in the UK, work is just a day job to pay the bills and my passion is writing my book, which work no longer stops me from doing. I'm now a lot poorer and a lot happier.

Sack-a-Doo! and Greenwood like this.
  7. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

weird... there's all the replies and I never got an alert

8. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

It was my first proper, longterm job at a local restaurant which was located in the top floor of a spa. My hometown was a small place, and this building was the most modern place to work at. It was pretty good, though my pay was at the extreme low end.

My reason were the shitty co-workers. "The shiftmasters" were annoying towards me, I was the only male in the group and got constantly picked on. Being a highschool teen, doing a lot of gym and suffering from acne. One shiftmasters kept calling me ugly and stupid almost every time we worked at the same time. I didn't have a degree on that job, so obviously it was easy for me to do some mistakes. Instead of people telling me how its done, they were happy to call me out on it and making fun of me.

"How should I do it then," I asked. "You should know," was the answer.

They didn't teach me properly, getting bullied and the boss didn't care. Bad pay. Simply not worth it, and after walking out I was so reliefed.

A man called Valance likes this.
  9. Justin Phillips

i won't ask, haha.

10. Sack-a-Doo!

This seems typical in small towns. I've worked in communities of varying sizes and the only time this ever happened to me was also in a small town. I gotta wonder what's up with that.

Feeling your pain, dude.

11. Justin Phillips

I've never walked out on a job, but the job that I never walked back into was Cracker Barrel. It was near Christmas, and a busy night. One of my tables decided that they wanted to switch from corn to green beans, well after they had ordered. So when I went to request the change in the kitchen, the General Manager was working the line. I told him that they wanted to change to green beans, and he started yelling at me. Stunned, I began to stutter- "uh- uh-". Then he started mocking me "uh-uh" every time I came in the kitchen, in front of everybody. Finished my night and never came back.

His last name was Nemo, so everyone called him Captain Nemo because he was such a jerk.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  12. Sack-a-Doo!

I've had that kind of crap laid on me, too. Excellent reason for quitting AFAIC.

13. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

Yeah I have no clue why it happens. Could it be some kind of a reaction to the possible guy, who might land on your job eventually? In smaller towns, number of jobs are fairly limited.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  14. Sack-a-Doo!

Yup. Last time I quit a job in a small town, I had to move to the city to get another one. That's how we ended up in Ottawa.

IlaridaArch likes this.