1. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

I really like the story but...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Arcadeus, Jan 3, 2017.

So, I started writing a novel but had to stop.

Quick low-down.

Main character = Valius Warren, wealthy young male who is following a lead on what he believes could be the end of the world. He is tracking who he believes to be the anti-Christ(Spoiler- it is)

He finds journal entries revealing the Anti-Christ's transition and realization of power. How he started out a normal depressed kid. (I decided on this path in order to build sympathy for the big bad)

The book starts with the final battle scene, but written in a way that is vivid without giving too much away. Plenty of symbolism and a lot of detail. You can't tell who is who, you only realize the overwhelming urge to kill and survive.

After this- I insert some red herrings in order to try to get the reader to believe maybe Valius is the real Anti-Christ, and the person he believes to be the anti-Christ is really the good guy.

Yada yada, leads up to final battle, Anti-Christ has conquered nations and Valius and allies made along the way fight in the final battle, and win. Still lots of dead people, and super bittersweet ending with the main character wondering if his choice to fight was the right choice.

That last part may be cut out, I just think it fits the war-broken character.

So... the reason I had to stop. I was starting to get really vivid dreams, and to feel sympathy for the anti-Christ I was writing about. Kind-of freaked me out.

Should I try again now that I'm older?
    Does the story seem worth it?

2. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

Honestly you're the only person who can decide if the story's worth it. If you really want to write it, I'd say try it and if it bothers you again, stop. Are you a Christian? If so, I'd say talk to God about it and try to be open to His answer.

3. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

So I believe in Christ and God, yet I am a follower of Buddhist Law. The main point to my belief system being that I don't take the bible as absolute truth.

I am not worried for my soul or anything of that nature. It is simply that the idea of the end of days used to scare me when I was younger.
    I think I can get through it. I was more-so wondering if the story seems to be a written possibility.

I think I've decided to start it again. Since it isn't like most of the things I start writing, that would require a trilogy. This could be a stand-alone 80-90k word book. It's possible to stretch it out, but I want to go with the pressured feeling. As though the MC is always just on the tail of danger, and in the eyes of death.