1. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

what do u think?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by skeloboy_97, Nov 18, 2010.

hi,

i should mention im only 13 so keep this in mind while reading it. im working on a book at the moment and i was just wondering what u think about the plot. Well, heeres a brief outline of the plot. It is a detective mystery book btw.

There are 2 men who have been murdered and two detectives are attempting to track him down. They think they have the man but then they realise he was actually framed by an unknown suspect, trying to run free. The catch is that they've got to catch him before he strikes again. Also, the killer sets up lots of fake crimes to scare the cops and give him more time. The detectives job is to link the seperate crimes and the killer of the men together and catch him, all before he strikes again, for real.

Thanks, look forward 2 ur feedback :)

2. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté New Member

Hi skeloboy!

I've never actually written anything detective or mystery, so I don't feel 100% qualified to have first reply, but I do love detective TV shows, when I can follow them... :p I also know what it's like to be a very young writer :)

At first glance, your plot appears to be very typical - isn't it always the detectives' job to track him down before he murders again, not just a 'catch'? But I do like the part about the culprit setting up fake crimes to distract the cops - this could be your 'hook', or gimmick that the whole book rests on. Detective fiction, as I understand it, is very formulaic, so there is a definite path and structure to works in the genre you'll want to follow unless you want to be very experimental, and there's loads of books out there on writing mystery fiction that will explain it better than I can! :D

Write a first draft, then put in lots of work, and keep adding to it and changing as you learn more about mystery writing, and the craft itself. Your plot definitely has promise, so don't give up on it. Good luck, and welcome to the forums! :)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

Like the Nike ads say, Just Do It.

4. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Ok thanks everyone i'll take it into consideration :)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what cog said!

and if you want to be taken seriously as a writer, regardless of your age, don't use twitter-speak...

6. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Oh man I did this when I started using fourms, gets you no where.

Setting?