Tags:
  1. ketanco

ketanco Member

References

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by ketanco, Oct 29, 2019.

When you take a little information from another book or manual etc... and use in your book, but in your own words, and adding from your experience also, do you list that book as a reference?
    is it enough if we list all references together at the end of the book?
    Do we need to take permission from each writer?

A little information is really little, for example sometimes just a factual number or a few sentences of information, may be few paragraphs at most, but never copy pasting and i blend it with other info i am writing.... I am writing a book about engineering and construction, I am engineer, so i can add a lot from my knowledge too but often i need to look at other references for various things.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi there - I don't know where you intend to publish your work, but if it's in the USA I would STRONGLY recommend that you buy an up-to-date copy of The Chicago Manual of Style, which goes into a lot of detail about this topic. (It's not cheap to buy, so hang on to your hat ...but it's worth it.)

My copy is the 16th edition, which was published in 2010, so it's a little out of date. However, here is an excerpt from the first paragraph in the Source Citations: An Overview section (Chapter 14, paragraph 1) :

That's just the first paragraph of that section. The section goes into detail for quite a number of pages. This is pretty much the standard 'bible' for writers in the USA. Other countries may have similar style guides. Make sure you have one that suits your purposes.

Quite a lot of information here, about style guides that are pertinent to different countries and purposes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_style_guides

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  3. ketanco

ketanco Member

I am located in foreign country now but I will self publish on amazon first
    I can not buy it at the moment , but from what I see, it says we do not need to get permission from everyone but citation is enough right? I mean do people do that way? How would you do it? Lets say you are writing an informative book about a subject that you know well. The book is few hundred pages, you explain everything in your own words, also using your knowledge and experience but you also consult many, many sources while writing, to make the text more informative and better quality. Nothing copy pasting, but just using things form there, mostly up to total of few paragraphs (distributed here and there) or less and mixing with your own text. (I mean if I did not list a source, there is no way that person would know, plus I could find it in other sources too, nothing so specific) I am going to list them at the end of the book. Or I must contact each and every writer?

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

in non fiction it is usual to give citations to things you quote - you don't have to for things just used for background research although you may wish to give a bibliography if you think readers would be interested.

in fiction you wouldn't normally include either quotes or citations