1. Isoul

Isoul Member

Regarding translations and publishing

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Isoul, Jan 16, 2022.

So my Grandmother is finishing up the last of her books, and the content within them seems pretty promising. I'd like to help her start researching ways to publish, but frankly I haven't found many resources that involve taking a book written entirely in Chinese and translating it into English (She's been looking for a way to do this for a while). I'm strictly more informed on traditional publishing relating to English alone. Does anyone have any idea on where we could begin looking?

Thank you!

2. thewritingguy

thewritingguy Member

Try to find a translator online who can translate the book into English or maybe you can do it if you understand the language?

3. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Hiring a qualified translator is the right answer, but may be more expensive than your grandmother (or you) can afford, or more than you want to pay. Does your grandmother speak English? Or, since you obviously speak English, do you read Chinese?

If the answer to either of these questions is "Yes," then perhaps a do-it-yourself solution would be to invest in a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking. It's dictation software that converts spoken language into text on a computer. I knew a chap who was on the road a lot doing inspections for a government agency. He didn't have time to write reports, so he used Dragon to dictate his reports of inspections while driving to the next site. He said it wasn't perfect but it was very good, and far faster even with final editing than sitting down and keying in reports at a desk.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1957418001?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Isoul likes this.
  4. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Isoul likes this.
  5. Isoul

Isoul Member

The options you presented are all very insightful. Thank you! I will be looking into all of these on our process moving forward. I really appreciate the direction here :)