Regimented Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Chesster, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I'm not really that regimented, unless it's poetry or some random ideas I want to keep record of. My best day I've had was writing twelve pages a day- two poems and a game idea. I had another where I wrote ten pages, but it came completely from the heart. It was also story and world building mostly, but I felt very accomplished. My good days will range on several pages of poetry and plot points. I like to take my time on my work, so I know deep inside that i'll be satisfied with it in the long run. Anybody can say : "You'll never get a novel done that way!" which is false because I've been developing more than one novel at a time. I've accomplished a lot for a writer my age. I don't need regimentation.

2. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I can only get myself to write if I've got something to write. If I'm in between projects, it's impossible. But when I've got something, I'll try to sit down for at least an hour a day. Now, if that's three words or three thousand, I don't care. If I'm not spending that time writing, it's spent planning.

3. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Senior Member

I'm not extremely regimented with my writing I set myself relatively easy goals to achieve like I have written 12,000 words this week but I might only write 3 0r 4,000 words next week. some times I won't write for weeks because the flow just isn't there, this usually means I have taken a wrong turn, so I go back and read over the last few chapters and work out what I did wrong. But when I do have my writing mojo i spend the majority of my spare time writing, like write now I work from 8-5 and I will write from about 6- 8 in the morning and then from about 6-10 at night, and most of the time I can get at least 1000 words a day, 2000 words if I am lucky. But then I've already written 300 words this morning and I only just started. On my days off though I spend maybe half the day writing and the rest of the day procrastinating.
    I'm not strict about how much I write in a day, as someone said previously writers sometimes spend days on single paragraphs. I have done that a few times in the last couple of months, once it took a week to write the same 100 words. If I don't have my writing mojo I read books, everything and anything I can find that is relevant to my novel, this helps me to compare my books against other paranormal novels and make sure that my story lines aren't similar to anything I read, if it is then I will be likely to change something unless it is only a minor detail.

Amanda