Rejection, rejection, rejection...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by deadrats, Aug 19, 2016.

1. AntPoems

AntPoems Active Member

Another higher tier form rejection, this one from the Molotov Cocktail's "Flash Monster" contest.

Woodstock Writer and B.E. Nugent like this.
  2. Watson Watson

Watson Watson Member

I haven't had time to post recently, but since September 9th I've had 32 rejections and 1 acceptance. I'm ok with those numbers, and a few of the rejected pieces received encouragement and specific compliments (although those same pieces also received form rejections elsewhere). Still, I think I received something like five rejections in one or two days and that is pretty punishing!

The fastest rejection came in 5 days, while the longest came in 240 days. I wrote out the whole list but it seemed a bit long to post.

Anyways, good luck everyone!

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Hey rejection friends. Hope everyone is doing well, and there has been some good news sprinkled in along the way. No need for me to really catch anyone up on the places that have rejected me in the time I've been away. Let's just say there have been a few. Had to force myself to send out a handful of submissions I September. No word back on any of those yet. I've got a few more to make before the end of the year. I hope. Life's been hard, and sending stuff out less important. Though, I do have new material. I'm just not sure much of it is ready.

EFMingo, Native Ink, Medazza and 5 others like this.
  4. deadrats

A 52-day form rejection from Kenyon Review.

5. Native Ink

Native Ink Member

54-day form rejection from Sewanee Review.

6. AntPoems

AntPoems Active Member

A 93-day form rejection from Granta (poetry)

7. Woodstock Writer

Woodstock Writer Senior Member

42-day form rejection from Aniko Press.

8. deadrats

I just suck lately. Can't seem to get it together. Blowing opportunities and writing shit if writing at all... It's like I'm beating the publishers to it and just rejecting myself before they have a chance to do it.

9. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'm *this* close to shelving my book. Talk me out of it. Or talk me into it. I don't know. Just feeling bleh :(

A little context: I've been querying since November 2020, have written a gazillion queries and synopses, written a brand new ending and a brand new opening, changed my UF into Spec Fic. It's had 3 full requests (2 rejections, 1 R&R with a small press - accumulated in the course of 6 months) queried as UF and it's had 3 more full requests (2 agents, 1 editor from Penguin - accumulated in the course of 2 months) queried as Spec Thriller. That's 6 fulls in total, plus 2 referrals (both of which ended in form rejections).

The 3 fulls as spec fic are still out. It's been 2 months for 2 fulls and 2 weeks for the third, I know it's too early. But bloody hell, it's now Nov 2021. I've sent out 132 queries to date with around 40 still open.

Isn't that enough? I'm tired. With 6 requests, I think my writing is clearly fine, and so is the submission package. Considering it's had a higher rate of request within the same time frame as spec fic, I think the change of genre was a good call. Having said that, that might also mean out of 132 queries, half of them were to the wrong genre agents lol.

Sigh. Why can't those with my full just hurry up please...

10. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Funky like your grandpa's drawers.... Staff Contributor

Well, the hay is in the barn, meaning the work have already been done. You've got fulls pending and more queries circling, so there isn't much else for you to do anyway. Start something new and the work you've already done will run it's course. By the time he hear back from the last submission, you'll probably have something else to be excited about.

Native Ink, evild4ve, Mckk and 4 others like this.
  11. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Yeah already writing, got about 27k words so far. I just don't wanna keep hoping for a dead thing. But you're right of course that I'll have to wait to hear back from what's already gone out. It's kinda harder because this one clearly has promise, and it's so damn close that I wish I knew what would take it over the line. I shelved my last project without problems after around 40 queries - I don't even remember why I stopped querying that one. But this one? This one I can feel it in my bones - I've got something good here. And yet, sigh.

Maybe I really just have to throw myself into my current WIP. I guess it's hard not to think of the one I'm querying because my WIP is book 2 with the same characters. Meh.

12. deadrats

@Mckk -- It can be hard to know when to let go of something. I'm not saying you should, but I've been in somewhat similar situations. Some of my best writing seemed to have served the purpose of getting me close. I think I'm still a better writer for writing the pieces and projects I've shelved which was also probably the purpose for writing them. It sounds like you've made some connections that you can return to when you have something new to show them. And that is a huge deal. Make sure you take advantage of that.

As for the novel in question, really listen to your gut. Keep going if you feel like it, but also be open to altering it and making changes along the way that can improve your chances. It sounds like you've done that somewhat. I don't know. But I do wish you a lot of luck with all your writing.

13. Watson Watson

Watson Watson Member

You’ve been posting here longer than I have, so I know you’re aware of how grueling the submission process can be, but I’d still like to offer some encouragement: keep writing, keep submitting.

Fielding form rejection after form rejection does suck, but hopefully there’s an acceptance letter in the future.

14. Native Ink

Native Ink Member

18-day form rejection from the StoryQuarterly fiction contest. This one was a little annoying because I checked Submittable last night and no one had read it yet. At 1 A.M., the rejection was sent out. I'm not crazy about spending money on a contest and knowing someone rejected it after a quick read late at night. Or maybe I'm just cranky this morning because I woke up to watch the lunar eclipse. Then the cat got out, and I spent the rest of the night trying to get it back in. Hope everyone else had a better start to their day.

15. Woodstock Writer

Woodstock Writer Senior Member

63-day form rejection from the Voyage women’s first chapter contest.

Native Ink and B.E. Nugent like this.