Rejection, rejection, rejection...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by deadrats, Aug 19, 2016.

1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Here's the thing, I don't really understand wanting to publish work in places you don't read. I've been reading literary journals and magazines much longer than I've been writing. I once saw a youtube video where this guy (for the life of me I can't remember who) said something like the literary world is an ongoing conversation and when we write we have something to say back, to contribute. If a writer isn't aware of this world and what's being said, I don't see how they can really become a part of it. Of course, you can't read everything, but there is a lot of good stuff out there. I spend more time reading than writing, and I'm a full time writer. Maybe I should start calling myself a full time reader who occasionally has something to say that might add something to this ongoing conversation.

matwoolf, Krispee and jannert like this.
  2. deadrats

The winter issue of The Paris Review made me blush. I think what they publish is always a surprise and wonderful. I don't have a subscription right now, but when I look at their website and read a few teasers it always makes me buy it. I find reading The Paris Review very inspiring. It always has been for me.

jannert likes this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Thanks. I'll go look up Pushcarts.

deadrats likes this.
  4. jannert

Don't forget "Da Yooper." yoop.png
    Dey write da best poe tree.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    matwoolf and deadrats like this.
  5. jannert

Well, I admit I only read a couple of the story beginnings. I think it's great that their website at least allows that. I'm just not much of a short story reader. The last serious collection of literary short stories I read were by E Annie Proulx ...the anthology she laid in New England a while back ...can't remember the name of it. (That's not counting sci-fi short stories, which I read more often.) I had to study the usual suspects back in high school and university, but I never read many short stories outwith that time, unless they were short stories by my particularly favourite novelists, like Kage Baker.

I'm a novel reader and novelist at heart. Sorry! There it is. BTW, just finished reading China Miéville's King Rat. Before that, Circe, by Madeline Miller. And before that, Midwinter Break, by Bernard McLaverty. I'm kind of an eclectic reader, but I prefer novels. I just feel I 'should' broaden my horizons a bit with short stories.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Krispee and deadrats like this.
  6. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

You read China Mieville? I tried, I really did, but I couldn't get past the first chapter. I love oddities in fiction. You ever read the Night Circus, or anything Jasper Fforde? The Mortal Engines? Railhead by Philip Reeve? Ben Arronovitch? China is tough, for me anyway. I'm also a novel reader but also like shorts now and again. My favourites being Chang and Bacigalupi. Novels, though, they give you a more immersive world that shorts aren't able to because of the length. They give you a taster and then let your imagination do the rest.

7. Krispee

Totally get that. My short reading tends toward collections of stories rather magazines. You get more of a feel for the writers style when reading a collection, in my opinion anyway. Don't get me wrong though, I've enjoyed reading the Sc-Fi mags that I've read.

matwoolf and jannert like this.
  8. jannert

@deadrats - Just ordered the 2017 edition of Pushcarts from Amazon uk. I'll see how I get on with that one. I wish they were available for Kindle ...damn....I don't want to start accumulating paper again.

deadrats and matwoolf like this.
  9. jannert

Well, I tried reading another China book a while back, and just like you, I couldn't get into it. (I can't even remember which one it was—I got hold of it based on rave reviews, and passed it on. It wasn't awful by any means, but I just failed to get grabbed by it.)

I don't know what made me tackle King Rat, but I did, and I'm glad I did. I thought it was amazing writing, although I can't say I enjoyed it. It was very black. But I also couldn't put it down, and I thought the ending was exactly right. So I'll give myself a bit of space, then try another one of his books. He's one of those authors I really WANT to like. Kind of like Neil Gaiman. I want to like Neil Gaiman ...but his writing hasn't quite engaged me either. Yet.

Jasper Fforde. I keep hearing about him, but haven't read him. The other authors you mention I haven't heard of. Do you recommend them?

deadrats and Krispee like this.
  10. Krispee

Hmmm, Gaiman, I have read once, American Gods I think, but I think I have another one somewhere around here to try. Perhaps the list I wrote down is more whimsical in nature, perhaps that's what I like. I've never really thought about it. I agree about your description of Mieville's writing as black, it is, hard edges and dark shadows. I'm not really a dark writing sort of reader, perhaps that's why I didn't like him. I want to try Neil Stephenson but so far haven't got around to it.
    Would you say that good writing attracts your readers eye or good story, or both?
    But sometimes you don't always get both.

11. jannert

I'd say overall, good story is what matters to me. But the writing has to also be good enough not to detract. Actually, I don't want to notice it at all. It doesn't have to jump out and bite me in the arm.

I've always maintained that the 'best' authors (the ones I like best) are the ones whom I forget about as soon as I start reading. I like to get engrossed in a story, and then have much to think about afterwards. I don't like stopping to admire highly crafted turns of phrases, in general. Although I certainly did that with China. Kinda do with E Annie Proulx as well. So it's not an absolute. But in general, if I'm noticing the style I'm not all that engrossed in the story.

matwoolf likes this.
  12. Krispee

I guess some books do stand out, resonate with us. I love All The Light We Cannot See, tremendous writing and absorbing story, although sometimes difficult. I see what you are saying about not seeing the writing for the story, like not noticing the CGI in a film when you are watching it.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    jannert likes this.
  13. Funerary

Funerary Member

Hi. I'm currently in the midst of exams and don't have the time to weigh in as much as I'd like to, but just to let you all know I'm currently enjoying reading the discussion. Deadrats especially has had some brilliantly insightful lines in the last two pages of the thread.

deadrats likes this.
  14. deadrats

Just got a 40-day form rejection from LitMag. I've got a few submissions in the red which on Duotrope (a website that tracks your submissions and clues you in on response times) it could mean that I've got some stories that are being held for further consideration. But I have been in this situation before. Most of the time I am flat out rejected. Still, I would like to hold onto some hope, some possibility. Since starting this thread I have been published a few (very few) places. That's something new I can put in my cover letter. I think it's too soon to tell if that is going to make any difference. I continue to write new stories. Sometimes I seem to get it right. Ever feel like you have to write a dozen or so bad stories to come up with a good one? That's where I'm kind of at.

P.S. I am reading a few things from some of you and promise to get back to you guys soon. But overall you guys write some pretty awesome stuff. Look for emails from me in the next few days. And I considerate a privilege to read your works.

matwoolf and John Calligan like this.
  15. Krispee

I can't comment on the feeling like you need to write a dozen stories thing as I don't (or haven't) write anywhere near as many stories as you guys, but I'm sure you'll get something soon. Fingers crossed for the further consideration ones.

deadrats likes this.
  16. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Not really. My problem tends to be starting up a new project after finishing up something else. If I don't like the beginning of something, I tend to immediately scrap it and start over. Maybe that's why I don't do the whole "a dozen bad between every good story" thing.

deadrats likes this.
  17. deadrats

A 13-day personal rejection from Fantasy and Science Fiction. The editor said some nice things and that he liked it but didn't love it. However, he also mentioned he thought the quality of my writing was there. Oh, genre world... Are you going to be as difficult as the literary world? I think so.

jannert and matwoolf like this.
  18. Funerary

Funerary Member

You just tried number one in the world of science fiction and fantasy, a personal rejection is very promising indeed. Try sending the same story to the next four at the top of the game. Only title that's coming to mind right now is Clarkesworld but at least they respond pretty much immediately. Again, I think at this level you're probably competing with a lot of solicited submissions so to get a personal rejection is a great indicator.

I made the mistake of checking the contributors list of the most recent issue of the aforementioned literary journal I had a piece shortlisted for and was greeted with biographies like "X has previously been published over forty times, including in the New York Times and the New Yorker" and so on. I could have been among such great company haha.

Not that this is relevant to the thread, but my last exam is tomorrow and good grief I can't wait to get back to writing. I've never been more exhausted as I have been these last two weeks. No one is supposed to be drinking this much coffee and suffering from such sleep disparities as I have the last few days.

deadrats and matwoolf like this.
  19. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Consider that F&SF accepts less than one percent of its submissions. Such a positive personal rejection suggests you were fairly close at least.

deadrats likes this.
  20. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I got rejected by 'Rejected By McSweeneys.'

But honest to goodness I'm too stupid for McSweeneys in the first place. I don't understand any of the jokes. I think you have to live closer to the editor. Not going back there. Nor Liars League - they're such snowf..f..fellows, erhm, English graduates.

deadrats likes this.
  21. Krispee

I guess it's difficult no matter who you submit too. At least they took the time to be nice.

Never heard of either of those, had to look up McSweeneys. Perhaps you are too good for them, Matwoolf, not too stupid.

@Funerary - Good luck with your exams.

Funerary, deadrats and matwoolf like this.
  22. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Bit garbled

I think I am too, @Krispy, roundabout draft 5.

Liars League are one of the literary 'crews' in central London. I wrote one before for them - and got it published eventually - The Crass Gang - it was agony to write. Always I worried about going back to read it again. Finally, I did look at it the other month and it doesn't read too bad. And sometimes, drafting before the screen/narrating - you/I/one gets so fluid in the presentation that I take out out every third definite article. [It works in my voice] That's normally when I send it away...In this case I think I sent them a version without vowels.

Then one month later, after the rejection, opening the screen and there's this pidgin mess in my face.

'What was I thinking? You are arsehole.'

Always, have to be careful with the a and the, and my hopping rhythms. Omission might damage the cause.

So yes, so Liars League are city-based, contemporary, so modern themes are important to them. They organise big reading events in pubs (actors read). I sent them a misogynist 'talking head' rant and thought it would be perfect for some guy and his 'comedy performance.' But...not even a rejection...I get embarrassed thinking the editors thought I posted them in this age of #metoo - to the female editors - a crazed Nazi diatribe against 'WOMEN! FAKKIN WOMEN...'

I imagine the graduate at her computer, removing my turd from her handbag with tweezers. I can't sleep.

jannert, Krispee and deadrats like this.
  23. Funerary

Funerary Member

Thanks @Krispee.

I just received an email saying I've had a short story accepted for publication in a print anthology at the end of the year. Pretty unexpected, pretty cool.

Carly Berg, jannert, SethLoki and 4 others like this.
  24. Krispee

Well done, surprises like that are always nice.

@matwoolf - Liars League sounds like one of those PC places where you couldn't move for insults, and end up falling down anyway. It's a funny world we live in.

25. deadrats

Oh, the close calls. The almost. It feels great for a second. I don't have another science fiction story ready to send out, but I do have something I am playing with. I think I will try them first when I finish it. They seem to like the way I write. Almost. Many thanks to all the people on this forum who gave this one a read. I took all your comments into consideration and did another draft before sending it out.

I've tried a few already with this one. And I did send it back out already. I'm kind of going by how quickly the highest paying places pay. I've read stuff I can online. I'm not sending anywhere I think would be totally out of place. I totally know all these places are long shots, but what isn't really? I am quite inspired to finish my next story and try this editor again. He did mention what he thought was off as well and I do feel like I can address that. But can like ever turn into love?

Okay, now I have to order a subscription and back issues. Anyone here been reading them? I would love to hear from anyone familiar with this publication.

I've got a bunch of past-due responses coming. It's exhausting to worry and wait for rejection. And it's terrifying to think it could be anything other than rejection because no on wants to get their hopes up. What a lot of us are doing is almost impossible, right? I'm just in love with the short form. I keep writing new stories. I started a novel that I'll go back to at some point. Anyway, thanks. And congratulations on your recent success.