Rejection, rejection, rejection...

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by deadrats, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Michele I

Michele I Member

I know that he has the same mindstate as me so his writing style is similar to mine. I also read his work and it's good. However, the problem might lie in storytelling. He uses more difficult words and plots whereas my work is clear and simple.

I simply want to feel more like a writer. I remember the beginning of last year I had sales left and right and had to hurry and write more. This year... Quite the contrary.
    -----------------------------
    Hey Deadrats ~ Has your brother read the stories you had rejected and given you his opinion what he thinks the problem might be?

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Hey @Michele -- I think you're comment is directed towards @Alex R. Encomienda and not me. I don't think you've read my work, though, I likely have the same problems everyone else does pretty much.

I feel like a writer because I am a writer. Sure, it's nice to be published, but it's also nice to really work an idea and keep working it so it's got a shot out there. Competition is crazy. I've never had so many sales that I ran out of stories. I think I will always have more stories than sales.

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributor Contributor

A bIt fed up with ‘the game - after my R. Carver crap-failure - but I’m sure I’ll get back to it - and playing a different game fwiw...for a while, a potential return to the world of suits, interview on Tuesday week. Yip :/

Also I re-tweeted Donald Trump - by accident - I can’t delete it. Maybe my son did it, for a joke? As if I’d tweet a trump statement about taxation. Well, I did.

Working today - some great adventures - 20 foot up a ladder, then 40 minutes aside some bipolar genius. He was great fun. 17 bicycles in his front room.

SethLoki likes this.
  4. matwoolf

Text post - computer poorly

5. matwoolf

Blog always disappears when I have job interview - by order...

‘And close that fekkin blog...’

jannert and Krispee like this.
  6. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Ah, now the penny drops.
    You re-tweeted Donald? That was brave.

7. matwoolf

No...I looked at my tweet account and my eight followers and somehow I retweeted his summer tax statement/and gained a new follower btw.

Same night I deleted all my annoying celebrity ‘follows.’ I literally spend an hour drafting replies such as ‘‘your definition of “racist” is not strictly rigorous. and maybe there were actually no free changing rooms? sincerely.’

Krispee likes this.
  8. deadrats

I hear you @matwoolf But who ever really wins those contests? You're quite talented and have a lot to offer the world. I'll be your biggest cheerleader if you want. :)

matwoolf likes this.
  9. matwoolf

Hey @dr, i’m jess riffing - can’t express so well on the telephone texting...but...but...not very engaged ...ach, you know...only a ‘wobble.’

deadrats likes this.
  10. deadrats

I submitted a different story to their magazine Carve. Maybe you should give them a try through their regular submissions. I have a friend who submitted to the magazine and got a very detailed response, still a rejection, but he found it helpful.

If you want a list a free places to submit, I can message you my submission lineup for this fall. I'm trying to avoid reading fees because I can't really afford them right now. But a ton of places will reopen to submissions soon. It can't hurt, and you might actually do pretty well.

As always, I'm happy to read anything you want some extra eyes on.

matwoolf likes this.
  11. Krispee

Ha, maybe you pressed the wrong symbol, I do that sometimes as I don't know what they all mean. I mean I'm a techy and I don't get the hang of Twitter. Mind you if you are a celebrity and you have a Twitter account you have to watch your back, as some people rake up your old Tweets and break you with them. It's a brave new world don't you know.
    I have quite a few followers, although I don't know what they are looking at because I don't tweet anything. Perhaps I have an unusual magnetic appeal that crosses the the internet divide. ;)

Second that on the eyes, although Deadrats is very good with the crits I must say, very helpful.

matwoolf and deadrats like this.
  12. Maz Lang

Maz Lang New Member

self publish... thats what im gonna do and sell on amazon etc... x

13. Krispee

Well, that's an option a lot of people are going for, but mainly for novels, full length. If you have a group of shorts you could go down that route otherwise that isn't really on the table.

deadrats likes this.
  14. deadrats

That's great if that's what you want to do, but most of us on this thread aren't interested in that. This is a thread about rejection because there is a lot of it and every writer who tries to put their work out there is going to face rejection. Sure, anyone can self publish. And that's part of the problem -- that anyone can do it. The focus of this thread is on selling work to literary journals which is a completely different path than self publishing.

15. deadrats

So, I haven't been rejected in a week. I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but my next response will be number 100 in the last 12 months. And I thought it was a hard thing to get 100 rejections in a year. But I would really like to put off reaching 100 rejections in a year for a little longer. Can't the next one just be an acceptance? Come on, lucky no. 100.

Krispee likes this.
  16. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Senior Member

Three rejections in two days. It's okay though, i'm used to it.

Spencer1990 and deadrats like this.
  17. deadrats

Made it through another weekend rejection free. :)

Krispee likes this.
  18. deadrats

I was getting a little too comfortable with all this time of from rejections. Yes, it came. I have received 100 rejections in the last 12 months. Today's rejection was a 45-day form rejection from filling Station.

19. graveleye

graveleye Active Member

well, every rejection is one closer to acceptance.

Shenanigator likes this.
  20. deadrats

How so? It's not like you need a certain number of rejections to have something accepted. This really isn't a math thing. Sure, it's nice to say something like that, but I don't think it's true.

21. Krispee

That's one every 3.65 days, although writing that probably won't make you feel any better. :(
    Filling Station sounds like somewhere you go to get petrol not stories. I guess you can 'fill up' with words instead. :D

deadrats likes this.
  22. deadrats

I really do get rejected A LOT! I wonder what sort of effect so much rejection might have on a personal overall. There have been several hundred rejections over recent years, but this is the first time I've hit 100 in 12 months. And, yeah, a rejection every few days seems about right.

23. Krispee

That kind of rejection is tough. I guess the old saying, 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger', might be true here.

deadrats likes this.
  24. BayView

BayView Contributor Contributor

May be helpful to think of the rejection as being not of you? I mean, you're not sending yourself to these places!

25. deadrats

Yes, but I am still the creator of what's being rejected. It's my best efforts being rejected. I guess the fact that I continuously write and submit, it probably helps. I mean I have way more submissions out there than I could possibly receive rejections on in a day, a week... A lot of my submissions are going to take a long time to get rejected. I've got some things out that could be seen as promising. Waiting for those makes me less concerned with some other rejections.