Rejection, rejection, rejection...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by deadrats, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

I would have thought that if it was for different stories it should be ok, but I can't say for sure. Send them an email?

deadrats likes this.
  2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

A form rejection from Five Points after 185 days.

3. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

They left you waiting for half a year? o_O

4. deadrats

That's nothing. I've got more than one thing out where a year has gone by already. The world of literary journals and magazines is a slow moving ones. And it's quite common to wait a long while for a response.

Krispee likes this.
  5. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

NNnneh...I re-wired 'Dogs' to a point where it is quite shit - and posted to L League USA, [find out on the 17th] and also my Christmas story sent to the hot fiery orb in space - but ' a confused mess' according to eminent reader, so I'm disappointed, and currently only 'chipping,' guys with hits of 10 likes on the blog. I got a stretch of work to do, then re-immerse Oct 1, think so...:/

deadrats likes this.
  6. deadrats

An eight-day rejection from One story. It seemed to have one line of personal feedback stuck in an otherwise form.

7. deadrats

An 11-day form rejection from Ninth Letter.

8. Krispee

That seems fast doesn't it? I thought it never worked that fast.

deadrats likes this.
  9. deadrats

They usually don't. I think this is where submitting early can be a good thing and cut down the response time, though, I much would have preferred a longer wait and an acceptance. But I'll keep trying them. Giving my best work to the best places out there.

Krispee likes this.
  10. ShazN

ShazN New Member

Okay, I bow to you guys. Every single one I've submitted to wanted it formatted differently, varying amounts of text (from first 50 pages to first three chapters, some double-spaced, some single. Some attached, some pasted into the email) and different content in the cover letters. By the time I've read all the agent biographies and determined my target, refined the cover letter and got the whole lot together, two hours or more have gone by. How the hell are you sending out so many, so fast???

deadrats likes this.
  11. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

Practice makes perfect.

Also when you've formatted it in a certain way, you can then just keep it saved under a new name and send it out to everyone else who wants it formatted in that way. Saves time in the long run.

12. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Well, this thread has been almost exclusively about short stories rather than novels. We don't have to bother with agents there.

deadrats likes this.
  13. deadrats

@X Equestris is right. I started this thread when it felt almost impossible to get published in what I consider good magazine and literary journals. As many of you know, along the way it stopped being impossible for me as well as some others. It's still super hard. I've posted just about every rejection I've gotten on this thread. And I get around 100 a year. I have made it into a dream publication or two, but that's only because I didn't give up. In total I've probably gotten at least 500 rejections since I started submitting and I can count my publication credits on one hand. It's a really tough business. But I still think it's worth it. The hard work, the numerous stories, the revisions and rewrites, and the steady stream of rejections is all part of the process. It's my process at least.

@ShazN -- Feel free to join in and most about your rejection for any writing. Misery loves company. Anyone knocking on publishing's door is going to get rejected and probably many times. Perseverance is probably the key to making it more than anything else. Well, it helps if you can write too. :)

14. ShazN

ShazN New Member

So far I've not encountered two agents who want the same thing. Doubtless I will in time, and I've kept the previous versions for precisely that reason (renamed with formatting structure so I can tell them apart). Wouldn't it be great if someone created an online submission system that could identify potential publishers, compile everything automatically using your material, submit and monitor who you send to, when and the results, and the only thing you needed to do was fine-tune your cover letter (if you hadn't already done one that was entirely appropriate)? Then writers could focus on writing!

deadrats likes this.
  15. ShazN

ShazN New Member

Thanks for the welcome. Two so far, both polite form letters. Each time I get one, I send out to someone new. Problem is, I'm partially disabled, can no longer do the job I've done for thirty-five years, and writing is the one thing still left to me. If I can't make a go of this it'll be checkout work for the rest of my life! Oh joy! :meh:

deadrats likes this.
  16. deadrats

Don't be disheartened. Most people receive many rejections (like a ton) before any success. That's my story. So, don't give up. I'm rooting for you! In my experience, it takes many more tries than two. But you'll get there. Perseverance, my friend. There is nothing else like it. Also, if you have any chapters that stand alone as short stories, you can submit those. It can help attract an agent or publisher. Just a thought.

When I briefly had an agent, it took me between 50 and 100 tries. My book never worked out, but I guess the agent search did somewhat.

Writing a novel in and of itself is a great accomplishment. You've already done the hard part. Don't let rejections discourage you. Try not to. Remember all you need is one agent and then all you need is one publisher.

I think it helps to also be working on something else. Start a new book or give short stories a try like many of us are doing. It helps to not have all your eggs in one basket, I have found. :)

17. deadrats

Duotrope added an agent section. It's a wearable database of publishers and agents that gives you stats like response times and acceptance rates as well as what sort of things they are looking for. Some include interviews that can give you more insight. It also keeps track of all your submissions. It won't send them out for you, but it does have a lot of good features. I've been using it for years and love it. It cost $5 a month or $50 for the year. I think it's totally worth it. There are some free versions out there, but I don't think they are as good.

There's another one I think called agent tracker or query tracker that was pretty good the last time I used it, but I really like duotrope.

18. Krispee

Writing a novel is a monster of a thing to accomplish, I've written three in my life (two of them rubbish, one of them a little better) and anyone who even achieves the writing of it is to be commended. I changed to shorts as they suit my life and are easier to focus on if you have a job, but I do have a hankering to write one one day that is actually good. The biggest problem is getting someone to read for you, like for the first time. I did once for someone, which was a great learning experience, but took a long time to do. A short is easier for someone to get through time wise.
    All the best with your novel, I'm sure you will succeed.

deadrats likes this.
  19. deadrats

@Krispee -- I'm a fan of your work, and would love to read a novel by you. It's sort of a busy time for me right now and it seems you're not actively working on one, but do keep me in mind for the future. I know I don't have the best track record when it comes to a quick turnaround time, but I do try to be helpful with my critiques. And, like I said, I really do like your work.

I'm working on a novel, though, I imagine it will be several months before it's done and ready to show anyone, but maybe we could swap novels at some point. I've found your feedback quite helpful and spot on.

20. Krispee

@deadrats - I'd be happy to read a novel but as for me I'm not working on my own anymore. My last attempt wasn't so bad but needed a lot of work and it was based around the Angel Grey idea, before I started on a short story. That novel is definitely dead although whether there is another one in there based around the same idea I'm not sure, at the moment I just don't have the time for something of that length. I don't mind reading one for someone else at some point though.

deadrats likes this.
  21. deadrats

A 16-day form rejection from West Branch.

22. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Bingo. Issue 22 of Open Pen...

I know it's 'only' Open Pen - but they are the liveliest crowd in London. That's good for me, eh, sent in February, and thought he was 'off me...'

I sent a 'drafted' version elsewhere. Which to use?

Means I'm back on the radar...a little...

It's good.

SethLoki, Krispee and deadrats like this.
  23. deadrats

The long-awaited, 200-day form rejection from Mid-American Review. Three hyphens in that.

24. deadrats

A 19-day form rejection from Copper Nickel.

25. deadrats

A 20-day form rejection from Vestal Review.