1. W. E. Burrough

W. E. Burrough New Member

Relationship Advice?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by W. E. Burrough, Apr 13, 2012.

My newest novel shows the psychologically-trying happenings two characters must endure as an alternate plain attempts merging with their own, with its influence washing over the population they unwittingly seclude themselves. By the way…, that’s part one, only part one, not the novel’s entirety. There is an unseen divinity-like presence, random existential occurrences I purposely keep vague, homoerotic overtones I’ve based on stories of Elvis Presley’s questionable sexuality, a pre-apocalyptic vibe, a shambling world government, characters and creatures with dubious existences, what I consider disturbing, symbolic imagery and a smattering of black humor with a dash of the macabre.

I know, I know, the surrealistic approach can be considered “cliché” and a few of the sequences “over dramatic”. But, nevertheless, I’m proud of this piece. Oh, for the record, the beliefs held by my characters are dissimilar to my own.

Within the confines of this story there is a bond between a fatalist and a domineering sociopath bordering on abusive. Their connection, however, is not sexual. It’s intimate, more or less, probably more. The two are more than mere friends. It’s incest-esque, due to a matriarchal fixation possessed by one of the two. This is not a plot point, it’s their dynamic. My question: should I travel this route? I do not wish for this to be considered… romantic.

2. Just Jon

Just Jon New Member

I say follow it. I have two characters in my book whose relationship is intimate but not romantic.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If we said, "No, don't do this", would you do it anyway?

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

The thing is, your story is so metaphorical, because of the symbolism which seems to be the dominant communication device, that you can really make whatever plot point you want. Even the most flowery romance can be made scary, drab, soul-destroying, violence-inspiring, whatever you want, just as much as any awful situation can be made into something positive, light, even comical. So really, making a romantic situation into something completely un-romantic should be fun, and work quite well and unpredictably to make the story more interesting.

Another thing to ask yourself is what message do you want to convey, what is it you are trying to draw attention to, what is it you are really trying to say? Then you can choose the best way to communicate that, indirectly, of course.

5. W. E. Burrough

You want the truth or a lie? If you want a lie, then no, I would listen. If you want the truth, yes, if only for the sake of being contrary.

6. W. E. Burrough

I think you could be right. No, I know you're right. Yes, yes, I agree. Though, symbolism is a small part of the story. I'm mainly trying to provoke thought. This is kind of a self-discovery thing, in a way.

I'll further elaborate my thoughts on this post when I have access to a real keyboard. This bloody touchscreen is going to be the death of me.

7. Domino

Domino Active Member

I wouldn't like to tell someone whether they should or shouldn't go a particular route in their writing. It is their writing, after all.

But just FYI, I once wrote a story about another "plain" when I was a kidlet, and I wrote it out a great load of times before I discovered it should have been "plane". ;)

Best of luck with your story. I hope you get it just the way you want it.

8. W. E. Burrough

Yeah, bad case of fast texting. Don't worry, my book's not written on my phone. I know how it's spelled. ;)

9. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

That's what I thought.