1. Thunderhead

Thunderhead Member

Religious cults

Discussion in 'Research' started by Thunderhead, Jan 28, 2018.

Hi everyone

I’m toying with an idea and would love to bounce it off the forum.

So I’m thinking of writing a fictional account of a young woman’s escape from a religious cult that she grew up in. Maybe a novel if I can generate enough material to make it interesting for that long... I was initially picturing writing it as a series of letters between the protagonist and someone “on the outside”, maybe a real person or maybe not (this person might represent an alternative version of herself, not sure yet). I like the idea of letters because of the very personal, conversational writing style that would lend itself to; but it might not be interesting enough for a whole novel. Any thoughts on that?

Now, this being the “research” part of the forum, what I want to research is this. My plan is to invent a cult, and even though it is made up I do want it to be believable. What features must my cult have, and what should I stay away from? How crazy should I make it? I don’t really want to get too bogged down in details because I want the protagonist and her journey out to be the main focus. But I think it will seem more authentic if I have those details in mind and paint a complete picture, rather than keeping aspects of it vague or undefined.

Religious indoctrination is within my experience and that is really what I want to draw on when I think about the emotional journey of growing up within a certain belief system and then leaving it.

What would be credible consequences of leaving the cult? Aside from the emotional impact of leaving behind friends, family and he only world she’s ever known - I feel like it could be more exciting if she also escapes some kind of physical danger.

Any other thoughts or considerations would be much appreciated!

Shenanigator likes this.
  2. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

What religion is this based in? Or I should say, what kind of religion is it. Does it have a head (like the pope), is it polyethistic (multiple gods)? Is it regulated by some body or not?

I really can't specify what would happen without more knowing about the religion that this cult is a part of. For instance, if it is a catholic-style religion, with a strong and organised form of "government". Then the repurcussions can be ranging anywhere from execution (heresy, Apostasy, etc...) to more minor punishements such as excommunication or similar effects (i.e banishement from the church). However, assuming that the religion is considered, by most people, to be the norm. Then a social stigma will result in anyone invovled in cults that differs on that aspect. This can be seen in protestant/catholics views of each other, especially during the 16th century.

Cults, especially those that are more extremist or deviant from the main religion are often much more seclusive and secretive. For instance, a satan-worshipping cult (which we have very little or even no proof even existed in real life), would be very secretive and seclusive. Taking meetings in places as far away and remote as possible, or if not possible, in places they deem to be safe from outsiders and unwanted eyes.

Similarly, I cults on this extreme would take it seriously if one left. This is mostly due to it's own secrecy, someone leaving the cult is a safety concern. If they got converted/coerced/forced back into the main religion they are very likely to turncoat and reveal the cult's members, location or otherwise.

As such, murder of this one person who left would me expected in some instance. In less serious cults, or those not wanting to perfom murder, other means may be involved to make sure they stay quiet. For instance, they may capture the person family or blackmail the person. Gangs today often use similar tactics to prevent their own members from leaving and betraying them.

Thunderhead likes this.
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

4. Thunderhead

Thunderhead Member

That was a really helpful and informative video, thank you! It actually made me think I could possibly steer away from religion altogether and make it another kind of cult... also possibly my protagonist could be recruited rather than born into it. The indoctrination process and cognitive dissonance are very much of interest to me, and I have a certain understanding of that from my own experience; it’s helpful to hear it described from more of an academic perspective. I think I will research more into that.

Thank you for your response, Necronox. I don’t really want to go the route of a large, organised religion like Catholicism. I think if I were to give an example from real life of the sort of thing I’m picturing, the Children of God comes to mind, or perhaps the People’s Temple. Key features I guess would be the requirement for absolute obedience from the followers, and also their inability to question anything. The two examples are of course famous for other harmful behaviours, such as sexual abuse and mass suicide, and I’m not sure whether to go to those extremes or not in my fictional cult.

5. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Unless I am mistaken, Children of God is in itself, a cult. A cult may become more widespread and eventually a religion in it's own right. Waldensian begun much like this. Originally, it was an underground movement in the Arpitan areas of france and switzerland. It advocated against the perceived heretical wealth of the church and their monopoly of over scriptures. It gained traction amongst a lot of people as was, in many ways, one of the many precursors to later protestanism (other heresies being fraticelli, cathars and lollards primarily). It started in very much a secluded cult-like organisation, but as more people joined and eventually entire cities (Such and Lyon), it became a defacto heresy.

Either way, if your religion has absolute obedience, then I suspect they would be rather drastic measures inplace to prevent people to do otherwise. I am not sure about your world, but execution is an immediate thought that occurs to me. Perhaps they might even try and prolongue the death as much as possible, to make the person suffer more before death as punishment - thought personally I found such measures to just be pointless in the end since the person died regardless.

Such traits of absolute obediance and belief is often common in more radically aligned beliefs. Those are often not very popular due to their extremism and often function as ponzi schemes and other types of cons for the central leadership to exploit their followers/underlings for their own uses. Murder-suicides, money, power, political or societal arguments can alll be achieved through such means. A more commonplace and modern examples are extreme islamic beliefs and organisation. The terrorist himself, who is dieing in the act, does not really gain anything from it, it is whoever is wielding him and ordering him to do so.

The point I am getting at, is that from what your are describing, your religion would be deeply unpopular with a lot of people. Most would be following it simply for fear of retribution if it is widespread or enforced. Additionnally, such a religion would be extremely corrupt and it's teachings would not rely on morality, but obedience. Moral people don't make for good minions, obedient and people devoid of moral ambiguity do make good minions. Such tactics were used by the catholic church (amongst others). "If it is for the greater good [of the catholic church], then god will grant your absolution and accept your soul in heaven" Is the common argument often delivered in such cases. Ken Follet's character Pierre Aumaude 'de Guise' in his book "Column of Fire" is a good example of such a person using/being used with such an argument.

As such, I would say that if a cult did occur, it would mostly focus on free will, morality or some other major aspects the people feel unsatisfied with your primary religion. Therefore, it would be much more comparable to the Waldensian, who originate in much the same circumstances. I suggest researching them further for a better idea.

Keep in mind, This is mostly based on logical observance from the details your have provided. As I do not know entirely what your want to do, this may or may not fit.

Thunderhead likes this.
  6. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I highly recommend checking out a book by Steven Hassan called Combating Cult Mind Control. "Mind control" is the author's term for the methodological psychological techniques that are used to lure and hold onto the person in the cult. The book goes into the mindsets of the person who's been sucked into the cult, the psychological techniques cults use, and what it takes to get someone out of the cult. The guy who wrote it got sucked into a cult, got out of it, and now helps parents get their adult kids out of cults. The book describes characteristics of what makes something a cult, and according to the book, he definitely considers the Children of God to be one.

My mom joined what meets the textbook definition of a Christian cult late in her life. Her crazy relatives got her sucked into it, and because we lived on opposite coasts I didn't realize the depth of it until it was too late. I've written a couple of posts about some of the things they did, because I incorporated some of it in my current WIP. If you go to Shenanigator's Progress Journal, Page 7 Post 152, you can read some of them.

The biggest thing that stands out, was church before family. If the family isn't on board, they're left behind because they keep you from getting into Heaven. The family is heavily pressured to join, and if you don't, the walls from your family member become impenetrable.

My mother had always been religious, but seeing her, in her 70's, suddenly believe, in some cases, the most extreme version of her religion, and in other cases do a 180 and completely abandon the compassionate views she once held was mind-blowing. One alarming thing was that suddenly she refused to listen to anything but religious music. Our home had always thrived on music of all types, so that was especially disturbing.

In my mom's case there was also extreme psychological and social pressure to donate money to the church, which I discovered when I was going through her papers after she died. She was donating $160 per month to her church, which she could not afford, plus she was buying supplies for the church, plus putting money in the offering basket, plus working two different jobs at the church for free, all while battling cancer. In her papers I found many of the solicitations for money.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Carly Berg and Thunderhead like this.
  7. Thunderhead

Thunderhead Member

Shenanigator, thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely check it out. I’ll also have a read of your progress journal - thank you for sharing that experience with me, I appreciate that and may well take you up on the PM offer if it’s not an intrusion!

I studied psychological anthropology as a uni student and plan on going back to some of those resources for a bit of behaviour related understanding. Religious asceticism was part of that study and I think there may be some elements in common that I can draw on.

I think what I really want to explore is the psychological shift that happens when a person goes from being controlled in such a way (“brainwashed” if you will) to taking back control for themselves. And the damage that mind control does to person’s psyche; but also the capacity of the human spirit to rise above.

Shenanigator likes this.
  8. Awz

Awz Member

Years ago a friend was telling me about a family member of his who regularly helped people escape cult compounds. He never got into many specifics, but one he told me about involved multiple law enforcement agencies (FBI, Police, and Sheriff I believe) operating at night, doppelgangers in multiple vehicles playing shell games, even stops in small towns to switch vehicles just in case, and ultimately ended up in a witness protection-like program. It sounded incredibly elaborate. Whether any of it was true I don't know but he had me sold.

Shenanigator and Thunderhead like this.
  9. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Rethink the letter-writing approach. Please. First person can be just as conversational if not more so. And it's more believable than someone in a cult writing secret letters because most people in cults are not trying to make contact with people from their past, and they certainly wouldn't be giving the details of this cult life that I'm sure your readers will be interested in. I read a really good short story about a cult recently. It also had a bit of an unusual format, but I think it worked very well. I can't even think of where I read it, but I will find it and send you a link or tell you where you can read it.

Thunderhead likes this.
  10. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I'm not sure if I responded, but you're welcome, and yes, by all means feel free to PM if you feel I can offer any insight.

The Steven Hassan book I mentioned definitely goes into some of the aftermath aspects you're wanting to explore.

Thunderhead likes this.
  11. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

The one that has been in the headlines - here - of late was the family on the run from the mafia for thirty years - and the whole thing turned out to be the patriarch’s fantasy.