1. OriginalZen

OriginalZen New Member

Renaissance Europe as a Historical Fantasy Setting

Discussion in 'Research' started by OriginalZen, Aug 19, 2018.

Hey folks! I'm working on a piece that takes place during the Renaissance period of European history. I've done this in an attempt to stay away from the sort of psuedo-Medieval (i.e. non-historically accurate) setting that so many fantasy pieces take place in, and I'm really driven to try to keep it as close to reality as possible as far as the lifestyle and culture are concerned. I've done some research of my own in an attempt to get the period as right as possible, but I was wondering if any of you fine folks had anything you think I should know.

Can any of you history buffs out there toss a few ideas at me? What should I know about life in the Renaissance? What can I include in this project that will make this setting feel like the real thing?

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I just did a quick search for 'life in the Renaissance' sort of thing, and an author's name came up ...Antony Mason. He seems to have written a couple of books on the subject, and also writes bestselling travel guides to places in Europe. You could probably do worse than look him up, get hold of one of his books, and see where it takes you.

I still think real books are excellent for getting started on a project like this. However there is now SO much online as well, which is very helpful for following up specific bits of information, once you get going. However, if you're writing Fantasy, you have a lot of leeway. Good luck!

3. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

While I am a historian, I am by no means an expert on the Renaissance period but the answer to your question really depends on what part of Europe do you have in mind, as well as the social class. Europe was by no means homogeneous, but extremely culturally diverse with many regional variations, even across Western Europe. Speaking of the Renaissance, it's good to have in mind that this was mostly an artistic and later architectural movement spreading from Italian city-states to other corners of Europe. In England, for example, the Renaissance is often thought to had begun after the Tudors came to power or even with Henry VIII (in Italy, it arguably started already by the end of the XIV century) while in France, Francois I is commonly seen as the first Renaissance ruler. In Central Europe, the Renaissance also spread to Hungary.
    However, it affected only the upper echelons of society, I suspect, while the life for the lower classes remained pretty much the same as during the Late Middle Ages. In many areas of Europe life had barely changed much well into the XIX century and the onset of industrialization (and even later in rural areas).

I think the main factor one should take into consideration as far as the Renaissance is in question is increased cultural exchange. Renaissance means 'Rediscovery' or 'Reawakening', that is, the rediscovery of Ancient classics, including poetry and philosophy, among others. This should be imagined as a period when new ideas started to emerge and the authority of the Roman Catholic Church in Western Europe was starting to weaken.

4. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I agree with @Reollun Renaissance period was very long and when it started varies from country to country. It is also important to remember that some people think of the Renaissance period as not really a period of time, more an intellectual and artistic movement so be prepared for a lot of art when you look it up.
    The Renaissance as it comes to most minds began in Italy and spread from there, as Italy, seat of the Pope, the romans and many of the great thinkers that the period took inspiration came from there or Greece. Many of our famous paintings and artists came from this time and in and around Italy. (this being one of the famous ones and used in many memes and cartoons to this day)
    However if you want to do something out of the ordinary and original as you seem to want to do, I'd advise against setting it in Italy as many historical books take that as their setting, though a fantasy spin on it could be amazing as the Stravaganza books did very well with Venice and then moved to many other cities around Italy.
    The key to making a good fantasy historical setting is making the fantastical part fit the time period you're emulating. Any magic in Renaissance Italy will need to be distinctly suiting that period and from that place as people as with their crafts and art will have fantastical things unique to the way they were raised. If Raphael grew up in the Low countries for example (he wouldn't have that name but XD) he might have painted something like this instead.
    And that's the thing, as previously said, 'Europe' is a massive area. As is Renaissance in terms of time. Mixing it all together would appear messy and maybe not make too much sense. The wikipedia page should be a good leaping off point as you can click links for each region important renaissance things were going down. Look through all the countries and if there's some countries you like, use them and don't be afraid to mix the culture a little it to make it unique to your world but the WHOLE of Europe would be a bit too much for one country to do I think ^^
    Here's some more places for information beyond Wikipedia though I think you should start there for the basics:
    PDF scan of a school book
    A detailed book (you may have to pay for things to get good info as @jannert says)
    Detailed school hand out (mainly UK)
    Britsh Library Resource (mainly UK)

QueenOfPlants and jannert like this.
  5. OriginalZen

OriginalZen New Member

You guys are right about the term "Renaissance"! I'm referring to the English Renaissance period, but it's much clearer and easier to just say the Elizabethan period since they happen at almost the exact same time. And thank you so much for all the information and resources! I said Europe initially because I plan on having my protagonist travel the continent a bit throughout the story. Now that I've settled on a concrete time frame, it will make getting information regarding other countries easier.

Thanks again for the help!

I.A. By the Barn and jannert like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

If that's the case, you could also do a lot worse than to get hold of this book. I have his companion volume about medieval England, and it's packed full of really helpful stuff. I assume this one will be as well. I would advise you to get hold of a paperback copy, rather than the Kindle version, though. That way you can thumb back and forth more easily, referring to specific areas of interest. Kindle is great for straight reading, but it's not so handy for skipping around in a book.
    ian.png

7. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I have that book @jannert recommended, its very very good!

jannert likes this.