1. Dream of the Endless

Dream of the Endless New Member

Pride as a Check Against Some Vice?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Dream of the Endless, Jul 16, 2013.

Pride as a Check Against Some Other Vice(s)?

Pride is considered by some the foremost vice, and I was wondering if anyone knew instances of characters whose pride/ego actually served as a check against lesser vices. For instance, Thomas Harris, author of Silence of the Lambs, wrote that Hannibal Lecter had a "monster ego," and Barney said of Lecter, "You have the feeling that he wouldn't deign to lie." He later reiterated, "One thing he does not do is lie." A second example can be found in Mike Carey's series Lucifer; in issue #10 it was said of the titular character: "They used to call the devil the father of lies. But for someone whose sin is meant to be pride, you'd think that lying would leave something of a sour taste. So my theory is that when the devil wants to get something out of you, he doesn't lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to hell." In issue #14, Elaine Belloc tells Michael, "He's the only grown up I know who keeps his promises." To which Michael replies, "Yes. It is a point of pride for him. But please—don't mistake it as a virtue."

Pride is considered by some to be the root of all other vices, but I was wondering if there were other examples of fictional characters in whom pride actually serves as a check against other vices, which are seen as beneath them.

2. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Granny Weatherwax from terry Pratchett's discworld books springs to mind. She's often described as having an ego of cast iron. Her downright refusal to admit any weakness has resulted in the inability to give up. It also ensures that other witches are treated with grave respect, for fear of incurring her wrath.
    Thankfully, she's balanced out by Magrat Garlick, who wouldn't know self confidence if it bit her, and Nanny Ogg, who has no use for pride, and less use for shame.