Reputations

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by erebh, Mar 15, 2013.

1. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

You? Just so you know, I tried to rep you on a post yesterday and was told I have to spread some more around before I can give you some more. This forum makes us limit the love. How is that a good thing?

1 person likes this.
  2. lettuce head

Because it is easier to do a quick rep than to get into conversation about it. Open conversation in a thread is the main reason we are here. It isn't for little "thanks you" posts all over the place. If you want to get more personal send a PM.

I guess you could see it as a popularity thing if you wanted to. When I give them I consider it a quick thanks for a thought I can use. That, in and of itself, offers support to one who has been supportive.

Besides, I don't always have the time to post in a thread or to write PMs to someone who has offered their experience and wisdom. The very least I can do is to let them know I appreciate their insight and encouragement. Rep is a great tool for that.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Thanks, it's the thought that counts. :D

I wonder what the time frame is? Or am I just on some forum blocked list? :(

4. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

everybody wants to show you their love Ginge hehe!

Maybe a facebook type "like" button would be better by a repy/comment but that's up to Vbul not WF -

Glad I started to a stir from something so menial...

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I remember there being some talk of adding a "like" feature or something similar a while back. I noticed the "Post Thanks / Like" tab in members' profiles, but the feature hasn't been implemented yet (I'm not sure it ever will).

6. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

There is a limit so that you cannot 'rep spam' one of your friends, just to gain little green squares. A failsafe against immaturity, and it is unfortunately needed. ;)

~ J. J.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As far as I know, time is not a factor. But after you rep someone, you have to rep a few other people (not sure how many) before you can rep the same person again. The purpose of that restriction is to prevent "rep blizzards" of a small group playing rep tag to run up their greenies.

And yes, we did away with negative rep because some people were using it just to be anonymously nasty.

8. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

Oooooooh...That explains why it says "11 points in all", despite the fact that I think its my first rep (you get a notice of rep, right, even without a comment?). One rep isn't worth 1 point. This makes sense now!

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, I've messed around with this a bit, and have changed my mind. I'm new here, and didn't know how this worked. I now see, if you click the little star, you're allowed to write a thank-you message too? Great idea. I thought it was just like another inane thumbs-up-or-down exercise that you find on so many sites these days. I'm very much opposed to 'votes,' but very much in favour of 'thank-yous.'

Is there a thread somewhere which tells us how the mechanics of this forum work? I'm having trouble with several technical aspects of the setup, and don't know where to go to find out what I'm doing wrong. (Can't upload a profile photo or avatar, can't get the blue quote bubbles to work for me, etc. And yes, I'm an experienced computer user, with a Facebook account as well as other sites. I just can't get things to work very well on this one. Yet.)

10. thirdwind

The FAQs should cover everything.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes. The FAQs are the best source for the mechanics of forum posting. The site rules are separate, and are concerned more with what is allowed and appropriate than with how to go about it. The other articles under Important Information of the site home page go into more detail on site etiquette, expectations, and how to get the most out of the experience, particularly in the workings of the Writing Workshop.

12. lettuce head

Hey, I reserve the right to be immature whenever I want. It helps me to write better and more often.

13. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Rep is not about popularity because if you are active on the forum, your rep will inevitably grow over time. It is just a nice way to show appreciation for other people. I use it all the time and I think it's a really nice feature.

14. supportivemember

supportivemember Banned

("...it's just that often one doesn't want to comment yet one still wants to show one's support or acknowledgement..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...it works much better when the name automatically appears at the bottom of the post too, plus it helps avoids all those "liked it dude" tags that can clutter up a good thread...", simply the goblin had seen it used to good effect elsewhere and felt he would like share his findings here)

15. thirdwind

Does anyone know what the character limit is for reputation comments? I recently noticed that a few comments I received began mid-sentence, so I assume there's a limit.

16. jazzabel

I make sure I can see everything I wrote in the little window. 5-6 words, thereabouts.

17. thirdwind

Yeah, I make sure I don't leave messages longer than 10 words or so. But some people have left me long messages in the past. I don't know if anyone can actually answer my question, but I think it's important for people to know to keep the messages on the shorter side.

1 person likes this.
  18. jazzabel

Ok, let's solve the mystery. I left you this rep comment just now "Ok, let's answer the question of how many characters you can put into a rep comment :) ~ jazzabel"
    Count the characters and let us know! :)

1 person likes this.
  19. thirdwind

Your message was 94 characters including spaces, and I was able to see all of it.

I'm going to leave you the following super long comment with 369 characters:

Edit: OK, so as I was writing this message, I got cut off after writing the following:

So I guess the limit is 250 characters.

20. jazzabel

Haha, ok, even though I messed up, I'm glad you managed to solve the mystery in the end :D

21. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

Apparently or evidently? ;)