1. TH3T4

TH3T4 New Member

New Idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TH3T4, Nov 17, 2011.

OK so i have this idea that i have been working on for a while now. almost got the first book done too im just wondering whether or not the plot for it is good or if theirs any problems.

The story is about a therapist whos nephew that has these delusional walk offs were he doesn't remember anything goes missing. When the police say that unless there is evidence of him being harmed or in danger they will not step in to help him. unhappy with this answer he decides to go look for him out in the Mohave desert towns. along they way he faces the fact that hes going crazy and there's allot of strange stuff going on in the back story. if anyone has any potholes they noticed or anything they would like to add to it just let me know.

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

My friend, you're going to want to fix up some of those grammar issues, because it makes it quite hard to understand what you're trying to say, and if you're having those kinds of issues just on a forum, I can't imagine what your prose is like.

I don't want to sound too harsh, but, mate, you really need to learn a bit of literacy if you write in the English language.

As for your story idea, if YOU like it, then write it. With that synopsis, we're not going to see any holes in the plot. We need more detail than that, and, again, we require literacy.

3. Hawwyboo

Hawwyboo New Member

It's a bit hard to find anything wrong in a synopsis, let alone a very short synopsis. From your description the story could be really good, really bad or anything in-between or beyond.

4. forgotmypen

forgotmypen New Member

I agree with cruciFICTION.

However, good writing requires practice, so by no means should you ever let grammar stop you from writing. In your first draft, it doesn't matter. Just make sure it's nice and polished by the time you reach your third draft.

As for story--it's your story, and it should be whatever you want it to be. Just write--that's the important thing--and don't let anyone else influence where your story goes until it's finished. For instance, Stephen King won't even let his wife look at one of his stories until he's done with it. It's a good idea, that way your story will get out, in its entirety, while it's fresh and clean.

When it comes to plotholes--it's hard to detect those with a short synopsis. I'd suggest writing an outline for yourself. Scan it, and see if anything doesn't make sense. :)

5. MaggieMoo

MaggieMoo Member

Writing and crocheting in a dark corner the room
    In my opinion an idea is just an idea unless it is not completed. I know it may take a while and it may or may not work for you. But we are writers and that is the risk we take when writing anything. I have been writing for just over a million years. (Sorry about the exaggeration) But I never let go of an idea. In fact I usually write the idea down as a synopsis (as you have done here) and go back to it when I have finished current work. Every idea is a flop unless written with perfection. So keep your idea and work on your writing skills. (Says she who is still waiting to be published after 30 years and that is no exaggeration) :)

6. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

You do know that showing other people your story ideas is a bad idea, don't you?

7. power44

power44 New Member

It has a lot of potential.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

How so? Because they might steal it?

Well, firstly ideas can't be copyrighted. Secondly, it's not the idea that is important. Every author will write an idea in their own specific way, expanding it and adding to it, altering it in ways that only they would. Two authors would end up with a vastly different finished piece, even starting from the same initial idea. And thirdly,self-respecting authors, and those serious about becoming such, wouldn't write anyone's ideas but their own anyway.

9. AmsterdamAssassin

No. Talking about story ideas tends to dilute the freshness needed to enjoy writing it down. If you tell your story idea to everyone, why write it down?

10. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Because there's a huge difference between a paragraph summary of an idea, and the writing of a story in itself.

I sort of understand where you're coming from, and writing a story you do have to either maintain the excitement the whole way through the writing, or force your way through parts of it (I submit the latter is the more common approach- I don't know anyone who has written a novel and not found parts of it tough to punch through. Some degree of "freshness" or excitement is required, but I don't think simply talking about the initial idea will blunt that significantly, unless you aren't really that committed to it from the off.

11. power44

power44 New Member

Its very difficult for people to steal ideas. Banzai makes sense in this quote: "Because there's a huge difference between a paragraph summary of an idea, and the writing of a story in itself."

12. lornamarie

lornamarie New Member

I think you should write your story, with a spell check, and you yourself will know deep down whether it has any 'potholes'. Your story is just that; yours. Your heart will soon tell you if it's not working.

13. AmsterdamAssassin

Indeed, that's why I do not remark on the stealing of ideas. Most ideas are not all that original, hell, most stories aren't original at all. Often it's the combination coupled with the writer's art of storytelling that lifts a story from the quagmire of mediocrity.

However, to throw ideas around on a forum... What's the purpose? If I trackback my stories back to the ideas, I find that the ideas are different from the result [story], because the writing itself will change the idea. If you're not convinced your idea is strong enough for your writing, shelve it until you either gain confidence in your writing or manage to twist the idea into something more original.

14. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

But posting it can help you clarify and expand it. At least that's my experience. When I'm working on a story I will generally talk about it with anyone who'll listen. Many people have good advice, or at least ask the right questions to help me figure out what I want to write about.

15. MaggieMoo

MaggieMoo Member

Writing and crocheting in a dark corner the room
    Actually I am with you on this point. I have had work stolen from me and tried to confront the theif... Turns out he was using an alias name and I have no idea at what part of this universe he resides. I do know it's cyberspace, but where is beyond me. You see it's not the idea as much as the writing. If one is a great lover of the english language, but lacks ideas, one can pinch others' ideas and create a fabulous piece of writing. Whilst us little people who lack writing skills, have our ideas pinched. It happens and don't let anybody tell you it doesn't. Keep your ideas safe and discuss your writing skills. I do that now.

16. AmsterdamAssassin

Well, maybe that's all right for you, but I dislike 'writing by committee'. Too many cooks, well, you know how that goes...

17. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

The writing needs cleaning up as I couldn't understand a thing. I am not great at writing but people told me that I am getting better. Writing does take practise and soon enough, you'll will become better. Like others had said, if you like the idea well then, you should write it. I would look forward to see where you can take this.
    I hope this will help.

18. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Yeah i'd recommend following Crucifiction's suggestions before asking a question like this... It's way off.