1. Lance816

Lance816 New Member

Research on SF&F Fans

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lance816, Oct 6, 2017.

Hello, my name is Andrew and I write to you all in the hopes to have a survey taken. I wish to collect data on Science Fiction and Fantasy fans as well as Speculative Fiction fans. I am on the journey of creating a novel series which brings me to my next step in the process. I know the genre I want and now I am I trying to seek my audience and discover what they want. I have a rough idea due to my limited research but I want more facts and hard data.

Tina Dubinsky’s article at http://tinadubinsky.com/fantasy-readers/ is a huge start, though I seek around 200-300 respondents to her 49. My survey comes in two parts, one which is more or less a copy and paste of her survey while the second half has themes I currently wish to include in my series. Her survey can be found towards the bottom of her article and I would like to request those who take my survey to mimic their answers on her own since again the first half of my survey is a copy and paste of hers.

With that said here is the link to my survey https://goo.gl/forms/zG1XzkpH9V7P3dGx1 , I thank you for your time in answering the required questions as well as the optional questions below. My goal in this survey is to narrow my audience down a bit more and get an insight as to what themes I should or should not include in the series. Again thank you for taking the time to answer my survey and once again I would like to request you visit Tina’s article and answer her survey as well!

2. Clementine_Danger

Clementine_Danger Active Member

What an odd way to write. But sure, I'm game.

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I'll bill you. :p

While you may get more info on what a reader enjoys in
    a book, your survey is a bit vague on narrowing down
    what your reader base will find enjoyable in your work.
    Though if I were to proffer a guess you are at the very least
    considering a Sci-fi/Fantasy hybrid. Beyond that a big evil
    empire. Getting a bit of a Star Warsy vibe.

4. Lance816

Lance816 New Member

I had the idea for a while to mix futuristic technology, sky ships and mecha's with elemental magic such as fire and water. I want the story to be High Fantasy but I want the magic and technology to make sense which is why I realize the three genres I picked also place it under SF&F or Speculative Fiction, unless I misread what those mean. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Sounds like a High Fantasy Steampunk. Hey roll with it, it sounds interesting. :)