Tags:
  1. RWK

RWK Member

Describing searches

Discussion in 'Research' started by RWK, Jul 26, 2017.

I was just watching a post-apoc film and the characters were ransacking a house looking for food. It was pathetic.

From decades of dealing with thieves and burglars, and dealing with booby-trapped narco stashes, keep the following in mind when describing someone who is searching:

1) Be quiet: don't sling things around. Noise not only attracts attention, but it also impairs your ability to hear the approach of others, Especially important in a post-apoc setting.

2) Open drawers from the bottom-most first: this saves you the trouble of closing them, and also ensures that you won't miss any.

3) Don't stick your hand into any area you can't see. A length of dowel, a knife, etc, should be used to probe areas you can't see into.It is very easy to stick triple-prong fish hooks, razor blades, or exacto knife blades into those sort of spots and let a searcher slice open their fingers.

4) Use a mirror to look into hard-to-reach spaces.

5) Look for finger marks. If someone had something hidden in a drop ceiling, the place where he pushed up a panel to get to his stash will accumulate grease and dirt from his fingers.

6) Have a pattern. I search counter-clockwise from the doorway following the wall, followed by quartering the rest of the room. This keeps you from overlooking things.

7) Before you search, look at the room. If you are searching for weapons, for example, most people place them where they are most commonly at, or feel most vulnerable. A bedside drawer or under the bed, by a favorite easy chair, near entrances of the building.

Just a few points that might help.

Veleda, VynniL, Seren and 8 others like this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Good stuff, thanks! I can use numbers 2, 3 and 6 right now.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I find one small flaw. Grenades and Explosives.

If hidden in a drawer, cabinet, whatever, chances
    are you are going to become a fine pink paste.
    Far more effective that poking or stabbing.
    Bad guys tend to get their hands on and/or
    make those devices. Hell with the proper permits
    an ordinary citizen can have own grenades.
    (But it is probably a lot harder that for a gun.)

Point being, if someone wants to keep others
    from snooping and living to tell the tale, they can
    and will. Sensors replace tripwires, meaning
    that if some guy has C-4 set on a motion switch
    inside a drawer that 'probe' is useless.
    Criminals evolve, even the ones who don't seem
    all that sophisticated will adapt with the times.

Hell we could go out as far as having a sensor
    based setup of Claymor Mines in a hallway.
    Or even an archive guarded by Bouncing Betties,
    because that information is stored in a private
    server. Just put Bouncing Betties under tiles or
    floorboards, and you cut anyone in half who
    does not know the safe path to travel.

Criminals figure this stuff out, knowing that
    Law enforcement is not equipped to detect
    these things. And they want to be at least 2
    moves ahead of the law. So Check. Your move.

4. RWK

RWK Member

Actually, most agencies are training in counter-booby trap techniques. And a lot of us are ex-military. Plus we have a bomb squad with robots and such. Not that we've needed them for active defense. We have found a lot of dummy grenades filled with sand and the bottom hole welded shut, and a lot of Play-Dough marked 'C-4". There is no honor amongst thieves.

I have never read of a factual case where explosives were used as a defensive devises. Lots of tall tales and Hollywood nonsense, but not actual instances. We have found grenades in a few weapons stashes, but grenades are not all that impressive.

I have seen dope stashes in dog pits and one snake pit, but those are easy to deal with.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @RWK Good to know. You make them sound more like violent pranksters in a way,
    with the dummy grenades and play-dough 'C-4'. Guess live explosives are more of
    an offensive weapon for them?

Now I know they get creative, but in less intricate and well thought out ways. :agreed:

6. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

The difference, here, is that RWK is talking about real life searches. You are talking about what you see in fictional narratives.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    This might help with my other sock, and the booby-trap info is good too, I never know what I've gotten up to when I'm not paying attention :)

8. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Good advice for all of us in the inevitable apocalypse. But for writers, I wonder whether the character trashing the room indiscriminately might be more realistic. In a post-apoc scenario, people will be desperate and panicking. They won’t be thinking or behaving rationally or taking the time to search carefully or thoroughly. Some will, of course, but they probably won’t be as interesting in fiction.

Fernando.C likes this.
  9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

tbh post apoc i wouldnt be bothering searching house - want some food head to tesco/walmart .... want weaponry - gunshop/army base/police station and so on.

Then having got tooled up I'd head the fuck out of the cities and find a small farm with its own water, and wind generators etc.... If the owners are still alive they'd either welcome me as reinforcements or wind up shot in the head and fed to the pigs

That aside if you are looking for food in a house post apoc it will be in the kitchen cupboards where it was stored pre apoc ... it won't be hidden

10. RWK

RWK Member

What I was describing was cons used to sell fakes to criminals & radicals who think they are buying explosives.

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. RWK

RWK Member

I disagree. Survivors will be the ones who can think under pressure, behave rationally, and take the time to do it right.

12. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Of course they will. But I was working on the assumption that people in a work of fiction won't be natural born survivors. Because what would be the entertainment in that?

matwoolf likes this.
  13. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

At last.

14. RWK

RWK Member

Most post-apoc books I've seen focus upon those with a survivor mentality.

Because non-survivors, well, don't survive. If you examine the survivors of extended critical events, you will see a pattern supporting that premise.

But every writer's fiction is his own.

Lifeline likes this.