Tags:
  1. dillseed

dillseed Active Member

Punctuation “Thanks” and “Thank you” —Comma or Period After?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by dillseed, May 15, 2014.

When we close out a correspondence and use 'Thanks' or 'Thank you' (and not an official complimentary closing such as 'Sincerely' or 'Very truly yours'), does a comma or a period technically follow 'Thanks' and 'Thank you'? I often see a comma used, and I think this is wrong.

Example:

Hi, Joe,

In response to your question of April 15, 2014, ...

Thanks,

Bob

Is the comma wrong after 'Thanks' above. Should a period go there? The same for 'Thank you' when used like this. I think that elements like 'Thanks'
    and 'Thank you' are elliptical elements that require a period after them in this context. Do you concur?

Mike

2. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I think that it technically calls for a comma, since it isn't that much different from 'Sincerely' or 'Yours Truly'.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It's been so long since I've done these officially—and I've lived on two different continents so the terminology sometimes gets mixed up in my head—but in one form of letter styling...whatever you call it, there are no commas:

Dear Bob

Blah de blah, body of letter.

Sincerely
    Jake

while the other form does have commas:

Dear Bob,

Blah de blah, body of letter.

Sincerely,
    Jake

What was drummed into our collective heads was that you chose one form or another. If you used the open form with no commas, you have to be consistent. Don't use a comma after the greeting OR the closing salutation. If you do choose the comma form, then you must use it in both places.

Both forms are perfectly correct, although certain offices or companies will prefer one over the other.

4. dillseed

dillseed Active Member

Thanks.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as an editor of long standing, i would not consider both forms correct... a comma after both greeting and closing is the correct form... unless, of course, one uses an idiosyncratic departure from the norm, such as ellipses, for informal communication... in which case, i [for example] might write it like this:

bob....
    blah, blah, blah...

thanks... [or 'thanks!']
    maia

[btw, jannert... what's the medal for?... whatever, congrats on being awarded whatever!]

6. dillseed

dillseed Active Member

Thanks, maia.