Tags:
  1. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Question Resources

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by EdFromNY, Aug 12, 2017.

I've been seeing quite a number of threads being "bumped" lately in this section (an action of which I was once falsely accused and for which I received a warning) with the notation that they were to be moved to "Resources". I gather the idea is that these threads were more than just items for discussion and provided information that would be of continuing use.

My question: Where is this Resources section? I don't see it anywhere.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

If you look to the top of the homepage, it's one of the buttons in the top row.

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 8.45.47 AM.png

https://www.writingforums.org/resources/

3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Some background info as to why these threads where bumped: This bumping was done as a part of the Empty that Bucket project, as a way for the members involved to mark threads that they deemed worthy of being Resources (without reporting the threads).

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

That - and then again while I was moving them into resources I had to label the threads i'd worked on so we didn't get any duplication - you'll note the bumped threads have all gone now as their content has migrated into resources

Komposten likes this.
  5. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

How do we add to resources? There is a site I use a lot and think others would benefit from using.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

go the resources tab (on the top bar next to community) click on it, then click on the add resources tab, then pick a category and fill in the template. Don't worry too much about the category as mods or volunteers can change it later
    resources 1.png
    resources 2.png
    resources 3.png

7. Komposten

Just because we can move things, it doesn't mean that people can put things wherever they want, though. Please select the category you find most appropriate for your resource.

8. big soft moose

Oh yeah definitely - I just meant that it's not the end of the world if he gets it wrong because lets face it the resources categorisation is a bit "special" which can be intimidating to those who've not done it before

In @surrealscenes case the best cat will probably be "writing websites - general resources"

Komposten likes this.
  9. surrealscenes

Thank you, but I have no Add Resource button, just the Quick Links arrow button.
    Here it is if someone wants to add it
    https://thrillwriting.blogspot.ca/
    It is all about writing crime, how forensics works, etc.

Mark Burton likes this.
  10. big soft moose

no problem - I've added it and then reassigned it to you.

11. surrealscenes

Thank you.

12. Komposten

As far as I know, all members should be able to add resources (but resources posted by "New Members" and "Members" must be approved before they become visible to the general populace). However, using one of my dummy accounts I can confirm that the "Add Resource" button is not there (for "New Members", at least). Not sure if this is a bug or if our admin has changed something in the back-end. I will see what I can find out about it.

13. big soft moose

Its odd because when you try to reassign a resource if the member doesn't have access it won't let you, whereas this reassigned to SS without a problem

14. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Okay, I guess what threw me was that I was expecting to see it under "community" because that's where the forums are.

jannert likes this.
  15. Komposten

Most of the content of the forum falls under "community", since that word describes what the point of a forum is, so it makes sense to expect things to be there. Resources, however, is meant to be a separate area dedicated to providing a collection of useful, quality resources to the community, outside of discussions and debates (hence it is separated from the forum proper).

16. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Looks good, especially with all the categories.

One question. I just received (yesterday) a notification that a resource I created many moons ago has been 'reassigned to you.' What does that mean?

Also, I looked for my particular resource under Grammar Resources, because it's about correct grammar and usage. There is only one entry in that category, but it's not mine. I then started trawling through the other offerings, and found mine under Word Mechanics instead.

I'm not sure of the difference between these two categories, but the one I put up (the Bristol University website) is definitely a Grammar Resource.

I'm wondering if we need both categories? I happened to be looking for a Resource that I had posted, but if I had been seeking grammar advice I'd have only gone to that one category labeled Grammar Resources. I'd have assumed that one entry was the only one on offer, and stopped looking any further.

Possibly Word Mechanics could cover all word-related resources. Either that, or maybe some of the posts in there which are about grammar (such as mine) should go into Grammar Resources instead?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  17. big soft moose

The resource you created was in the forum (general writing) and its one of the ones I moved into resources proper. After I moved them, due to the way the software works they were all assigned to me.

I then went back through and reassigned them to their original authors. Mostly the original authors aren't around anymore so I turned the notification off, but in your case and that of @psychotick it seemed only fair to leave it turned on.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    jannert likes this.
  18. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Ah, thanks. That clarifies that. I was wondering if there was something I was supposed to do to it, because it had been reassigned to me! :) You guys have done an excellent, job, by the way. I guess housecleaning is always a good idea. Makes things easier to find.

19. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Rather than start a new thread: What's the difference between a "Resources" post and an "Insights and Inspirations"? I'd like to link to a piece on genre writing by an award-winning F/SF author, published on the SFWA website, but when I got to the "Resources" section, it looks like that's more for things that members download/purchase or whatever. Thoughts?

20. Wreybies

Okay, so this is what I gleaned from a conversation a while back with @Daniel as regards Insights & Inspirations: His intent for that subforum was for it to be a kind of Hall of the Best Sticky Threads. It's a locked-down subforum because it's not meant to a be a place where threads get started, but rather a destination area for those threads from around the forum that the staff feels bring Insight & Inspiration via the OP topic or subsequent conversational evolution. You know how we move threads to the Debate Room when they are still within forum guidelines but are starting to smell like plastic explosive left out in the sun? It's the same idea, but instead of impending detonation, it's meant for the polar opposite, for threads wherein the engagement is particularly beneficial, astute, on point, etc. We recently went through that subforum and moved a ton of threads out of there that don't really answer to the above dynamic.

Now, I realize that the subforum's name isn't necessarily intuitive as regards what I have just described. Daniel and I do not always meet eye to eye when it comes to nomenclature. We have different esthetic and logical schools of thought to which we adhere when it comes to that, which is fine. But... that's what that subforum is intended to be.

21. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Right, so... sounds like I should chuck the link into either "By the Genre" and wait to see if it takes hold or not? And the Resources section is for stuff you buy?

22. Wreybies

It certainly does house things like that (for example, the Scrivener resource) but there are other categories that would not necessarily have to be things one would buy.

23. big soft moose

Ahem Mr @Wreybies sir, (waves hand in air) its not a locked down forum - I spent the whole time that you were digging your way out of a pile of hurricane debris moving threads out of I&I that had no business being there. Likewise the lock on the door of the articles section has also been jimmied (and random stuff is getting posted in there too , although not as frequently as in I&I)

24. big soft moose

The resources section is for stuff you can buy, or stuff you can get free (links to useful sites, books, articles etc) or for articles or insightful posts you've written yourself that address writing dilemmas or useful info for writers.

Theres a fair overlap with articles, and with research - but resources is more permanent (and allegedly more easily searchable although I need a lesser spotted @Daniel to fall into my heffalump trap in order to reason with him about section structure) so good stuff is worth putting in thee too , or highlighting to me so i can capture it and make it a resource.

25. Wreybies

Actually, they both are locked down. A thread won't go live in either of the two areas you mention until a moderator approves the thread. But, naked little homo sapiens that we are, there are times when things get approved in the two areas that should not be approved because of all the various reasons that humans are prone to err and because the purpose of the Insight & Inspiration subforum was not spelled out very pedantically at the beginning by the owner so the staff had as much confusion as to its purpose as the membership. And, again, the name of the subforum doesn't help much as regards guiding the conversation. o_O

Tagging the Mod Team as regards this discussion in case there still remains any confusion as to what these subforums are for: @minstrel @T.Trian @KaTrian @Mckk @Komposten @Kingtype