Question Resources

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by EdFromNY, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'm not being an arsehole on purpose but are you sure ? - I mean yeah of course you're sure that's how its supposed to work, but are you sure there hasn't been a glitch in the matrix ?

The reason I ask is that it says on the blurb that 'only senior members, supporters , and contributors can post and must have posts approved' - at least two of the posts I pulled out of there were 1st posts from new members (moved them to the intros forum). Likewise the ones i bumped out of articles werent of the type that a mod would have approved on quick look

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

No, I'm sure. I see posts try to start their lives in those two areas all the time and I move them to other places rather than let them be born there. Thing is that the Moderation Bin for Xenforoâ„¢ is a rather blunt tool. Lots of things go to that bin for many different reasons. Sometimes a post pending moderation gets only a skim to make sure it's nothing spammy, and when it proves to be unspammy it gets green-lit. I mean, that's the basic scenario because a) the staff is really, genuinely, honestly not trying to stop thread topics from happening, much as some folk think we have just oodles of time to pour into little intricate, complex, premeditated conspiracies to thwart them (sheesh!) because, b) mods have actual flesh-lives in the 3D universe of solid matter that they have to attend to. :)

The above dynamic is at least one of the reasons I wanted to reawaken the Subforum Moderates from their long slumber.

3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I&I goes live right away for members over a certain post count I think, I've had my most recent additions pop up there instantly.

ETA Shoot, I forgot about the Articles section, which further complicates things.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I just checked and wrey is right - its displays instantly for the author, but it awaits moderation before being displayed publicly

Iain Aschendale and Wreybies like this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Aye...

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 5.28.40 PM.png

6. big soft moose

next time we get a random I'll tag @Wreybies instead of just moving it so we can see where they are coming from

7. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

As you can see in Wrey's screen cap above the moderation queue lacks one very important bit of information: it doesn't tell us what sub-forum the unapproved post is in. I believe that it is usually because of this that random posts end up in the moderated/"locked down" areas ("Hmm, this doesn't look like spam. Maybe the spam filter is just acting up. *approve*").

ETA: Also, new members can't post in I&I:
    Screenshot 2018-01-22 01.02.25.png
    But they can submit posts/threads to the Articles sub-forum (which have to be approved, of course).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  8. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Well, I'm more confused than when I started, so I stuck the essay here.

If there's a better location, let me know :)

9. big soft moose

See that's a resource - its not an article because its not long enough - just a couple of lines and a link, and although its possible that the article is inspirational I think that I&I is more for inspirational content that actually exists in the post rather than a link

I'll stick it in the resources later on (at work at present)

Once Wrey has worked his magic on all parts of the resource section what should happen is when a resource is created it automatically posts a link in the appropriate forum saying a 'a new xyz resource has been posted '.... currently some areas of resources do and some areas don't - I'm not sure about fantasy but I guess we'll find out

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  10. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Thanks, I'm trying to reduce the workload on volunteers and staff, but some of the section criteria are clear as mud. :)

11. big soft moose

Yeah - I think its probably because its an evolved structure not a designed for current purpose one e.g Daniels original critera for the resources was 'no links, quality pieces of writing about issues only' - but that has gone totally out of the window with 9/10 of the section being linked resources (this being a symptom of how the forum and net generally has changed in the last 12 years)

Tbh the volunteer workload isn't too high so I'm happy to help with resource issues ( I got nominated myself as resources monitor a while back - with Wrey's blessing) - helps take workload off mods and admin (incidentally volunteers can't move stuff out of the top quartile and we can't delete stuff ( I can soft delete in the resources section - but i don't unless something out of date, broken and unfixable, or totally inappropriate) so when I move your thread to resources i'll have to duplicate it then ask wrey to delete it )

12. big soft moose

yeah that explains a lot - probably one for the list of when Daniel has time minor fixes

13. big soft moose

Iains thread is now a resource ...

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  14. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

I cannot see any button for adding a resource. It seems to be broken.
    upload_2018-2-20_10-48-19.png

15. big soft moose

Its because you're a new member. Once you pass your 14 days and 20 posts it will be there. In the meantime if you post what you'd like to add in this thread I'll create it for you

16. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

Thanks, @big soft moose.

I found the linked article on How to Avoid the Dreaded Dialogue Tag very useful, especially the examples.