1. Eddyz Aquila

Eddyz Aquila New Member

Writers' Blog Blogging your work

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Eddyz Aquila, Oct 10, 2009.

Not sure if it belongs here or to the Publishers zone, but I'll give it a go.

Would it be good to start a blog where you would only talk about the writing, the literary aspects, basically a writing blog but where you would also include chapters of your own work.

Is it a good idea? Discuss.

I'm thinking of doing this since one of my works is already over-published so I don't think I will ever publish it properly since I gave so much, and I was thinking of porting over the whole thing to blogs.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If it's in a blog, it is freeely available to the public, so you can pretty much forget about submitting it to a publisher. If you have only posted short excerpts, you may bve ok, but the more of it you post, the more you hurt your chances of publishing it through a publisher.

If you have already given up on publishing the piece, then you might as well put it up on your blog if you think it is good enough to associate your name with.

3. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I have a question kind of related to this. If you post a story on the Internet and decide you want to rewrite the entire thing for possible publication, would that be okay as long as it's not exactly the same piece?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's iffy. It depends on how different the new version is, and how generous your potential publisher is.

I wouldn't try to conceal that an earlier version exists online. If the publisher finds out that an earlier undisclosed version exists, it would be grounds to nullify the contract.

I suspect that in any case the presence of an earlier online version would not sit very well with most publishers. At best, it would not be seen as the most professional behavior.

5. tonten

tonten Active Member

what happens if you have something like a "blurb" on your blog, character descriptions, location descriptions.

Basically stuff that would describe your fantasy world or a map.

Kinda like Xanth that outlines locations of castles, the Gap, and places, etc.

but no sample chapters.

6. Eddyz Aquila

Eddyz Aquila New Member

Right it's on and online forum, on 3 actually, and it got more than 20000 views over 3 years. Short excerpts, hmmm, not really, full chapters until chapter 16 but the new and edited version which is a couple of times bigger hasn't been posted until chapter 5.

7. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

I actually started a blog and put up a side project I was working on. It''s been about a week since I've updated it, but it was my birthday so I have an excuse. My advice, however, would be to post stuff you have absolutely no strings attached to. I like to think of it as going to guitar center and noodling for a good hour. It's good advertisement.

Best of luck, either way.