1. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

The L Ron Hubbards Writers and Illustrators of the future award

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by jonathan hernandez13, May 15, 2009.

Anybody hear of these guys or submit anything? I have a small collection of their anthologies and (I submitted one short story that failed to get published :c). Anyone else's experiences with them?:cool:

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

I know nothing about them. The L Ron Hubbard thing just makes me lol.

*lols*

3. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

I have no experience with them but I think they are legit and there is no entry fee. Although personally, I wouldn't want to enter a contest with Hubbard's name on it. But that is just me. Good luck!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I too am automatically suspicious of anything with L. Ron Hubbard's name attached to it.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

This is totally legit. It has nothing to do with Scientology and is just about writers and illustrators. I entered it once and never got any e-mails except to promote science fiction books and updates about the contest. I have a few copies of the books they publish of winners' and finalists' stories. No mention of Scientology, either. In fact, this contest helped launch the career of Canada's only full-time science fiction writer, Robert Sawyer. He's a very down-to-Earth, nice guy, and he is still involved with it.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yup. Ain't trying to get no Scientology junk mail in my mail box after the initial entry... Nope. Uh huh.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Spam mail, or showing up your door! I also don't want any financial connection with them in either direction. I have had some experience with the Hubbard Horde, and they are relentless.

The award foundation may be on the up and up, but their choice of name is sufficient to warrant a lot of caution. I would at least have to question their judgment in any association with his name.

8. Rei

It's named after him because he started it, purely as a way of encouraging new talent. It has no connection to Scientology.

9. Ghosts in Latin

Ghosts in Latin New Member

What the hell are you guys talking about! ?

L. Ron Hubbard is a name that should be shouted from the rooftops, and spoken with an air of humility and reverence.

. . .

. . . . . . lol

10. architectus

architectus Banned

Keep in mind Rob Hubbord was a published sci-fi author before he wrote Dianetics or started Scientology.

11. Rei

Besides, you can chose not to be contacted for anything but to let you know if you've won the contest, so you can hardly compare it to JW going door-to-door, which you can't stop. And not everything scientologists believe is total crap. It's essentially a glorified self-help group that claimed to be a religion for so it wouldn't have to pay taxes, and then he added some supernatural stuff to make people believe it really was.

I used to work for a Scientologist who made me read a book on raising children. There were a lot of really useful ideas. However, you do have to be critical when looking at this stuff. These are the same people who don't believe that there is such a thing as ADD. I once totally threw off a coleague of my former boss when I told him that ADD is the in ability to focus even when you make the effort and really want to and has nothing to do with hyperactivity, like most people think.

I just looked up some dates, too. He established the contest shortly after he wrote Battlefield Earth, so he had returned to his interest in simply writing science fiction. And like I said, I've met people who are involved in the contest. They are very nice, down-to-Earth people who would never get involved with something like Scientology.

12. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Forget L. Ron Hubbard's name. Check out the judges When you've got people like Orson Scott Card, Anne McCaffery, and Larry Niven on the panel it throws a lot of weight towards it being legit.

13. Rei

Thanks. I totally forgot to mention those names.

14. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

[cough]

Keep in mind Rob Hubbord was a horrible sci-fi author before he wrote Dianetics or started Scientology.

[cough]

Fixed that for ya. >.>

15. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

lol, thats not nice archer:mad:

I guess Hubbard kind of was a hack, but he has legions of fans and wrote way more than I did and made history for pulp and science fiction, which I love.

I dont know, In really dont care for scientology at all or Hubbard but I dont like talking bad about dead people, its the only time somone can truly find peace.

As for the contest, I think it may be my best bet for getting my foot in the door. One of the requirements is that you be an unprofessional writer (most entries are from first time writers, no one with more than three published stories is considered eligible). Most contest winners go on to write more, its like after you win they give you a decoder ring, the secret handshake, and a pat on the back welcoming you to the club.
    Honestly Ive been collecting the anthologies for a few years and wasnt too impressed with the winners, but lately theyve been getting pretty good (scared, more competition:eek:)The year I sent my submission in the stories were pretty awesome, I barely had a chance.

16. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Yet more evidence that it's not a scam. The books are actually sold to people who aren't in them. You can find them in bookstores and libraries just fine.