1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

A question for Australia, New Zealand and Oceania in general

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Oct 31, 2013.

Since the time difference is so great between where you are and where the U.S., Canada and the U.K. are, do you tend to congregate in other websites, other places where the chat is primarily from that side of the world? Where I live it's GM -4 always. We don't do any type of DST. When I'm tucking in to bed, Europe is pretty much already asleep and the U.S. slowly starts to drop off as well and traffic slows to a crawl. I always wonder why they aren't simply replaced by citizens of OZ.

2. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Senior Member

For me it depends on how much time I have to be on a certain site. If I only have the time/interest to be on once/twice a day it doesn't really matter if no one else is on when I am since I'm just reading a few things, replying to a few things and then leaving. There's no difference if the stuff is a few minutes old or a few hours old.

When I spend a lot of time on a site it begins to irritate me if there's a period of inactivity when I'm on since it becomes boring and there's only so much you can say about a selection of threads. This was especially bad when I used to role play online in a group where everyone was pretty much 12 hours behind. Since nowadays I normally can't spend all day online, I'm fine to be on websites where people are from anywhere.

I'll generally try to join an Australian site but I also need to like the site, it needs to be active and it actually needs to exist. With this forum for example it was hard enough to find an active writing forum I liked, never mind an Australian one. With the rat forum I'm on, I didn't join an international one since it would have a lot of irrelevant information and be lacking some points that are relevant to me (and the genetics are completely different thanks to quarantine).

A lot of people in different time zones seem to adapt. They'll stay up late or go on early rather than when their is minimal activity.

3. Voltaire

Voltaire Member

Most of the time I chill with US communities. To be honest the time zone difference between USA / AUS isn't that significant in terms of relative time (unlike Europe).

I have the habit of being an early riser so I'm often on at 6am, coincides nicely with the Americans. Explains why I'm typically in those communities.

4. smoha

smoha New Member

Right behind you. No, really. Fine... Australia
    I usually end up on American sites. Since I go to bed fairly late and wake rather early, time difference is never that big of a deal.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

definitely not...

i lived on the tiny northern pacific island of tinian for 6 years, have lived in various european countries, as well as south america and all over the us and canada, never changing websites due to the location of the majority of their 'population'...

it makes no difference to me where i am, since i don't do 'live chats' and simply post during my own 'up' hours and email replies can wait till i'm up and running, if they come in overnight...