1. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Help me flesh out this sword's powers?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by rktho, Apr 12, 2017.

So in my series, magic works like this: there is an alternate universe called Azulorn where a metal called azulorum is found. When a dragon visits this place, an object forged from azulorum calls to them. It could be a ring, a helmet, an dagger, anything that can be used or worn. The dragon leaves Azulorn and their azulor (azra in modern Dragonese) is awakened, allowing them to perform magic. Their implement usually has a magical power, nothing major unless the user modifies it with further enchantments, and is indestructible. When the user dies, the object returns to Azulorn, wiped of its enchantments, and awaits its next user to find it. (It doesn't do this until two generations have passed, so a user can pass on his implement to his grandchild or something before it disappears from the world.)
    There are five swords forged from azulorum that are special. They are bound to the physical realm-- they cannot return to Azulorn, either naturally as other artifacts do or via a dragon taking them into Azulorn with them. They cannot be enchanted further than they are, but they are already the most powerful magical artifacts in existence, so they don't need to be.
    These swords are called the Elder Swords. They have the power to become one sword that contains power that dwarfs the swords' power individually. The Shuzirons want to protect the swords for this reason, while the Kenjai want to unite them for their own purposes.
    Each sword manifests a type of power.
    Siothra-- mental power
    Aciphar-- magical power
    Aeleron-- natural power
    Thugron-- physical power
    Qualor-- perceived power

So Siothra would give you intelligence, Aciphar would heighten your magic, Aeleron would make you a bender (with the bonus of harnessing plant life as well as the elements), Thugron would make you stronger and faster, while Qualor does... what?

Perceived power is political power, monetary power, etc, which wouldn't do much in a swordfight, would it? How should this sword manifest its power? Why do we do what the government tells us? Why do we want money?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

It could do the whole Sauron thing -- when he goes into battle wearing the Ring, he's perceived by his enemies to be bigger, badder, and more badass than he actually is--and he's pretty badass to begin with.

Maybe the person holding the sword looks like the most amazing, powerful human being in the world, even if they're the weakest, most pathetic thing ever.

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Just slap a curse on it. That way the wielder who possesses it seeks ultimate
    power and riches. Think of it like evil influence of sort. Or you can 180 that
    idea, and the wielder is very diplomatic, but really obsessed with gold.

Diplomacy could be good in preventing a sword fight altogether.
    Monetary would do little more than well nothing if the other
    guy really wants to kill them.

Maybe it should have a more sword related power. Politics and
    pointy things usually end badly. Why does it need a monetary
    power?

Now that I think about it, after pondering what the others implicate.
    Why do you even need Qualor? It kinda makes no sense to have power
    that would be useless in a sword-fight. It is like a fart in the wind, compared
    to what the other swords can do. And since they have things that would be
    useful in said sword-fight, then why have one that is basically just a sword.
    Why not just have the first four swords, and when they turn into one
    big ass sword call that Qualor?

4. rktho

Not what I meant by perception, but I'll keep it in mind if I have the opportunity to work something in like that.

5. rktho

Well, each one represents a type of power. If I leave perceived/constructed power out, it would be like leaving out one of the four elements. But you see my problem...

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Perception is kinda abstract.
    Definition of it in context of your story is: a way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression.
    Alternative is basically being aware of things with the senses.

Other than that, IDK what to say other than based on what I have bounced around
    in my thoughts, and what its base is defined as needs to be re-evaluated to better fit
    its intended powers.

Then again I was trying to be helpful, but it is up to you on what you want.
    There is no easy answer on this one, so good luck. :)

rktho likes this.
  7. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Does Qualor have to be any use in a swordfight?

Swords have been used as objects of prestige for centuries. Qualor could, maybe, be an ornamental blade - the kind of thing that goes with the dress uniform of a mostly-political-quasi-military post, something that wouldn't last five seconds if it was being used to defend against a broadsword, but says to anyone watching 'the person wearing this is important'.

Then the way the power manifests could maybe be something like it makes the wearer more persuasive, so they're better at doing business, better at getting elected, better at pulling strings. People just do what the wearer wants, and think it was their own idea to do so.

Infel, rktho and Megalith like this.
  8. Joseph engraver

Joseph engraver New Member

I would say that Qualop has absolute power over all.

matwoolf likes this.
  9. rktho

Explain?

10. R.Eagle

R.Eagle Member

I like Infel's idea - that version of perceived power still works in the context you want it to.

By perceived power you mean power someone has over others without being physically stronger. The very look of the blade could inspire a sense of dread and awe in the holder of the sword. It radiates an aura that makes it seem sublime, God-like, as if it was something beyond their comprehension. Its use in combat could be to instil fear and horror in them. Maybe it even makes them frozen in fear.

As some of the other users have said this sword seems like the absolute power over all of them, since that's in keeping with the theme of perceived power - it's power that rules over others. It's like an emperor.

rktho likes this.
  11. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

You nailed it there. It just makes you become a ruler really easily if you have it. Doesn't need more imo.

How does one fashion indestructible metal into a sword? You said its default magical power is nothing major, so presumably the magic doesn't make it indestructible. Doesn't all metal come from stars ultimately, so wouldnt a star be able to break it?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  12. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Everything (except hydrogen) came from stars... including us!

13. rktho

It's not forged by hand. The Rishnaran writes them into existence.

14. Phil Mitchell

Bit weird that these items could survive even the Big Bang, but have magical effects that are nothing major. Why would anyone go to so much trouble to write into reality indestructible items that don't inherently do much? :oops:

15. rktho

Because he's all-powerful so it really isn't much trouble.

16. Phil Mitchell

That makes even less sense. An omnipotent being wants these items with weak effects to survive anything and everything. What's the point of that?

17. rktho

Well, the Elder Swords are powerful, unlike the awakening artifacts. So they need to be indestructible or the good guys could just destroy them. I chose to have the metal itself be indestructible, since they're just written into existence. But since the Elder Swords are incredibly powerful, I could use their magic as an explanation for their durability. Leaving the door open for lesser azulorum artifacts to be destroyed.

18. Phil Mitchell

I'm skeptical they're powerful enough to justify complete indestructibility and I think you're throwing that ability around way too cheaply. Only sword I would expect to be indestructible is the Rishnaran's personal sword. Unless you actually want the Elder Swords to be omnipotence paradoxes.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  19. rktho

The Rishnaran doesn't need a sword. He has a pen. (Well, technically it's not a pen and paper, but that's how the dragons understand it.) The reason they're indestructible is because he needs them to be.

20. Phil Mitchell

If they're indestructible, the Rishnaran himself can't destroy them. Meaning he's not all powerful. If he can destroy them, it means he can't make an indestructible sword, meaning he's not all powerful.

You sure he needs, and you as a writer need, the elder swords to be an omnipotence paradox? Does that have to be, for your story?

21. rktho

Oh, I misunderstood. The Rishnaran could destroy them, but it's not conducive to his plan to do so. My needs as a writer and his needs are one.

22. PilotMobius

PilotMobius Active Member

Why would an omnipotent being even need to create objects in the shape of medieval weaponry like swords? Wouldn't they have transcended far beyond that?

In response to the original question, percieved power could just be power that seems to be there but isn't, sorta like the ghost army preceding D-day during WW2 that the allies used to fool the Axis into reinforcing defenses around Calais instead of normandy. It could be the power of deception.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  23. rktho

Well, he's the only one in that universe. Unless he chooses to incorporate others from his native universe into his created universe. Such as the Irvanira, his muse, who he makes reference to occasionally. Oh, yeah, and he gives them Dragonese names that translate to their role. Irvanira means "inspiration". Rishnaran means "writer".
    So to answer your question, no, he does not need a sword. But he didn't create the swords for himself.

24. Phil Mitchell

Y'all know what I think. Only beings with unlimited strength need indestructible swords.

25. rktho

The indestructibility is not the major thing. It's their powers. Which do have limits, or else there would be little point in trying to unlock their full potential as one great sword.