1. hippocampus

hippocampus Active Member

Prototype book for final reviews?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by hippocampus, Feb 19, 2013.

When I read my writing printed out onto 8 1/2 x 11 paper, it's ok for the various stages of draft editing.

However, when it comes to getting final reviews from friends and family of what I consider to be an agent/publish-worthy MS, I was thinking about the idea of printing five or so copies of it in actual book form. NOT for sale or posting on POD sites, but rather as a book prototype.

Do you think this might help these reviewers get into the story better? It might help them think something like, "Yeah, I'd take this on a plane with me."

Or would it just make it harder for them to offer any edits they may have?

I like the idea of holding my novel in my hands - to get a good feel of how it will look/read before I send the MS to agents (in proper submission format, of course!).

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see it as being worth the effort/expense... and yes, it would make it a real hassle for them to add editing comments...

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I've sometimes gone through the exercise of printing out a short story or novel chapter in the font, type size, etc. that it might have if it were published, just to see what it looks like. That's kind of fun. But I would never have just a few copies printed for review - that sounds VERY expensive, and it would serve no useful purpose, I think.

4. jwideman

jwideman New Member

Trade publishers will consider this publication and you'll be stuck with a book that is basically vanity press.

5. hippocampus

How would they even know about it? Hmmm.

Ah well. It sounded like a good idea at the time I posted it!

6. hippocampus

I've done that as well.

I priced out my idea and it was just over $100 for five "books" - not bad I think. But the more I consider it, the more I think y'all are right - it's more trouble than it's worth and would discourage feedback.

7. alexa_

alexa_ Banned

It doesn't seem to me that the reader's reaction is somehow influence by the form of a piece of writing. Reviewer assesses the content not the form.