Tags:
  1. WaffleWhale

WaffleWhale Active Member

Reward for a ghost?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by WaffleWhale, Jun 7, 2018.

In my story, the villain is planning to release the spirits from the underworld to hunt his enemy. The problem is, I can't find an incentive for the ghosts to actually do this. The villain is at the moment the CEO of the underworld, so he does have a good amount of power, but what do the dead actually want?

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I think you may have answered your own question. 'Release' — it's a common conception that most ghosts are in some loop of a routine, day in, day out, the same old haunts/haunting. Release = a chance to go play in the bigger world. I'm sure they'd do their keeper's bidding as a trade for freedom.

Shenanigator likes this.
  3. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

Your story, your rules. You define what the underworld and being dead are like, so use that to your advantage.

What do the dead do in the underworld? If it's boring, than freedom might be the only incentive necessary. If they can't experience the pleasures they had while living, can your villain give them the ability to do so in exchange for compliance? If so then that might be a good reason for them to do what he wants.

Depending on how much focus you put on developing the underworld/afterlife and what direction you take that, you could even simply have your villain pay them in some sort of ecto-currency or give them extra spirit energy or something along those lines.

4. ElConesaToLoco

ElConesaToLoco Active Member

Non-existence might be preferable to a boring eternity (Even worse if their existence means some form of torture). Maybe he promises to destroy their souls so they can be free from their pointless life in death.

5. WaffleWhale

That's a bit darker than I want my story to be. And as of now in my story the dead aren't being tortured, but maybe I could make my villain start doing that to put more emphasis on his evil-ness.

6. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Can he promise them a shot at redemption? A second chance to live so they could fix things they think are mistakes they made in their lives?

SethLoki likes this.
  7. WaffleWhale

Thanks folks, I got my idea now

8. WNP

WNP Member

I know I'm a bit late on this one, but what about entry to Elysium? (I'm making the assumption that as your story is in the Underworld that it also has other Greek mythologies in place?) If not you could introduce something similar, essentially a heaven compared to the purgatory they've been stuck in. All depends on the story though.

9. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

How about revenge? That's its own reward and a classic plot driver.

10. WaffleWhale

Actually no, not going with Greek mythologies. Other than the name it really is completely separate from the Greek afterlife.

11. Cohen

Cohen Member

Hmm, CEO of the underworld has got me thinking. Anyone know off-hand any stories where God's are just business men? I havent developed the idea fully beyond Death being a bounty hunter/tax collector, and Hades banging on a typewriter all day filing through petitions from the dead and approving entry for souls stuck in limbo. I'm positive it could be funny in a Douglas Adams kinda-way, but give me five years first.

12. WaffleWhale

I cant think of any books, but "the Good Place" on NBC, kinda.

13. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Not a ghost, but it's an idea. :p

14. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm in a similar storyline, my ghosts are being rewarded by the MC helping out their descendants.

Cave Troll likes this.