Rewriting the scene

Discussion in 'Word games' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Aug 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. PHATIE

PHATIE Banned

"Who's there?" My voice was afraid, my heart pounded angrily inside of me.
    "I'll ask the questions. Why are you here?" a female voice, light but strong. I felt a hand grasping my wrist. Why had I come here? Why didn't I just decline the stupid bet like everyone else.
    I swallowed hard, my tongue thick. "I, uh," but I couldn't finish. I heard a gun cocking. The room was spinning...
    "Not the right answer Jennifer."
    The scream of the weapon was the last thing I ever heard.

2. sirhoot

sirhoot New Member

"Who's there?" came the disembodied voice.

"I'll ask the questions." came the nervous response, "Why are you here?"

"I'm gathering souls!" came the ominous reply.

"But I can't see you. Where are you? I don't know what I'm doing here."

"Just repeat after me...

..."Bless me Father, for I have sinned.""

3. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

New challenge:

“What did you do?”

“What did you see me do?”

“I’m… leaving now.”

“Don’t go. Let me show you something.”

4. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

"What did you do?" Ben screamed at me, his eyes holding the promise of violence.

"What did you see me do?" I squeaked in a voice that sounded like a small child instead of a woman.

"I'm.....leaving now." Said Ben's friend from the doorway as he scurried out, not wanting to get involved.

"Don't go. Let me show you something." Ben called over his shoulder, laughing as he grabbed my arm and drug me toward the door.

1 person likes this.
  5. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I'm liking the responses that I'm seeing. There may yet be talent lurking on this board ;)

Lets focus on keeping to the topic at hand:
    -The next post gives us 5-10 lines of generic dialog. It should be vague enough to be interpreted many ways.
    -We each take turns changing WHAT is said by altering the WAY it is said.
    -Try not to add too much narrative, this is all about dialog.
    -Last but most importantly, HAVE FUN!

(Next poster, you set the dialog for page 4)

6. Nackl of Gilmed

Nackl of Gilmed New Member

"What are you thinking about?"

"Tomorrow."

"What about tomorrow?"

"Trying to figure out how it will all work out, I suppose."

"You think too much. Just let it happen."

"If I could stop thinking about it, I would."

"You need some sleep. We both do."

"You go, I'll be up for a while."

7. arron89

arron89 Banned

"What are you thinking about?" she asked, picking up her blouse off the floor.

"Tomorrow."

"What about tomorrow?"

"Trying to figure out how it will work out, I suppose," he replied, hands shaking as he pulled a crumpled packet of cigarettes from his pocket.

"You think too much," she said, buttoning up the blouse. He clumsily sled a cigarette from the pack and held it to his lips. She produced a lighter and lit it for him. "Just let it happen."

"If I could stop thinking about I would." He took a long drag, and exhaled with a sigh.

"You need some sleep. We both do," she said, wrapping her thin white fingers around his wrist and leading him from the room. He stopped in the doorway.

"You go. I'll be up for a while."

(That was really hard. I typically don't write dialogue like that, it's always within exposition and rarely more than one or two exchanges....but interesting exercise....)

8. becca

"What are you thinking about?" Tom asked, coming up behind Mel, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Tomorrow," Mel sighed.

"What about tomorrow?" Tom whispered in her ear.

"Trying to figure out how it will all work out, I suppose," Mel said shrugging.

"You think too much. Just let it happen," Tom said, kissing the side of her neck.

"If I could stop thinking about it, I would," she said softly, tears slidding down her round cheeks.

"You need some sleep. We both do," Tom said as he hugged her.

"You go, I'll be up for a while," Mel sighed and pulled away.

9. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

That's the point ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------

"What are you thinking about?" Lee-Harvey asked.

He never did know when to keep his mouth shut. I glanced at him and said "Tomorrow."

"What about tomorrow?" Without looking he dropped the magazine from his rifle and cleared a single 6.5mm round from the chamber.

"I'm Trying to figure out how it will all work out, I suppose." My eyes drifted out the window and across Dealey Plaza.

"You think too much. Just let it happen."

Easy for him to say, he could hide in this depository all day and not be seen. An open grassy hill is different. "If I could stop thinking about it, I would."

"You need some sleep," he told me, "we both do." and he is right. He set the carbine down and searched his pocket for something. With a smile, he pulled out a Dunken Doughnuts coupon and handed it to me. "You go, I'll be up for a while." Just like that, his attention shifted and he was back to cleaning the rifles.

10. becca

Kate slammed the dishes into the sink so hard, I thought the plates would shatter.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked cautiously.

"Tomorrow," she snapped.

She grapped the liquid soap off the counter and squirted a healthy amount into the hot water she was running.

"What about tomorrow?" I asked, getting up from the table and leaning my hip against the counter beside her.

"Trying to figure out how it will all work out, I suppose," she said sadly.

I knew she was worried about weither we would lose the house. But, hopefully the visit with the loan officer at the bank would give us good news.

"You think too much. Just let it happen," I said, rubbing her back.

"If I could stop thinking about it, I would," she said, turning to face me.

Her eyes were sad. It crushed my heart that I couldn't fix this and make her happy.

We were silent for awhile. She washed and rinsed the dishes, I dried them and put them away.

"You need some sleep. We both do," I said, handing her the towel to dry her hands.

"You go, I'll be up for a while," my Kate said, as she stared out the window.

11. Piestein

Piestein Active Member

And here's my probably failing attempt:

"What are you thinking about?" he asked, looking at the crumbled buildings.

"Tomorrow," she replied briefly, just like always.

"What about tomorrow?" Easy to think about tomorrow when there could be no more 'today', especially after everything that happened.

"Trying to figure out how it will all work out, I suppose." Was she afraid? Her? Afraid?

"You think too much. Just let it happen," he said with the voice usually-scared people have when they try to calm down others.

"If I could stop thinking about it, I would," she replied, stubborn and proud as ever.

"You need some sleep. We both do," he tried to convince her one last time.

"You go, I'll be up for a while." And with that, she looked away. She just couldn't forgive herself.

12. echo_wolf

echo_wolf New Member

"What are you thinking about?" Brone asked, looking up to Jolon from his position on the cold stone floor.

"Tomorrow." Jolon replied. He was chained to the wall and stared off into the cold darkness.

"What about tomorrow?" Brone asked in a childlike manor.

"Trying to figure out how it will all work out, I suppose." Jolon said, turning to look Brone in they eyes.

"You think too much. Just let it happen." said Brone with a tone as if her were adressing a parent.

"If I could stop thinking about it, I would." Jolon said looking away quickly. It was their lives on the line.

"You need some sleep. We both do." Brone suggested sitting up to look directly into Jolon's inteligent blue eyes.

"You go, I'll be up for a while." He said leaning his head back on the cold stone wall.

13. becca

"What are you thinking about?" Doreen asked with a frown.

"Tomorrow," I sighed.

"What about tomorrow?" she asked absently as she started to put the groceries away.

"Trying to figure out how it will all work out, I suppose," I said while watching her.

"You think too much. Just let it happen," she said calmly, but I saw her shoulders tense.

"If I could stop thinking about it, I would," I barked and stormed out of the room.

"You need some sleep. We both do," she called after me, like I cared.

"You go, I'll be up for a while," I yelled back over my shoulder.