1. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.

Riddle me this:

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ferret, Jan 13, 2008.

If Prostate cancer effects roughly one in three men,
    Causes pretty much the same amount of deaths as breast cancer,
    is a cancer in general,
    and if there are a few dozen groups determined to rid world of breast cancer...

Where the hell are my prostate cancer foundations?

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I think there are many groups that are organized to raise funding for Prostate Cancer.

EDIT: http://www.prostatecancerfoundation.org/

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    I should be more clear...
    Why am I hearing about Breast cancer left and right, but prostate cancer gets second fiddle.

4. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Nobody likes to look at prostates.

5. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

A good question indeed. I can remember breast cnancer commercials on TV ten years ago, but I've only started seeing prostate cancer commercials in the last three or four.

It probably has something to do with the differences betweeen men and women. Women, to me at least, seem much more willing to dedicate their time to causes than men. If that is true its natural that there would be a better push behind breast cancer instead of prostate cancer.

6. lessa

lessa New Member

Men have to become more vocal about the problem. Women are so used to their breasts being examined and discussed and not mainly by drs. So they are more comfortable discussing the problems.
    Men are not exactly vocal about their prostate problems and until more are willing to open up for the general public to see the problem more will be done for the vocal.
    Just my opinion.

7. Aurica

Aurica New Member

It is a well-known fact that men don't express their feelings as much as women do. At least that's what my health teacher has told our class, he should know.

8. lessa

lessa New Member

I am married to a wonderful, intelligent caring man.
    But when it comes to health problems, "what health problems? I don't have any problems!"
    Getting him to a dr. is almost impossible.
    Men are big brave and strong. that is the way they have been raised. They are also looked after, first by mom then by a wife or girl friend. They put up with our nagging and pushing to get them to be healthy but seem to draw the line at admitting something may not be just right about them. Finally they go to the dr and hum and haw about a problem and sometimes the dr can figure out just what the man is talking around.
    Unfortunately it may come too late for a simple cure.
    It is a lot to do with the way they have been raised, the genes that have led them to be the way they are.
    They have to stop feeling that if they admit something is wrong it makes them wimps.
    Go to a dr and get the tests. It really can't be much worse than standing in a gown having a boob placed on a metal slab and having the other side of the vice dropped onto the boob. and squeezed. Then standing there while they do the same to the other boob.
    At least your test is pretty quick and though not painless I don't think you are left with bruises.

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

i find the most intimidating thing about prostate cancer to eb that the only effictive way to find out you have it is to get a doctors finger in ur anus.

I think Lessa put it perfectly.

10. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Actually, I think there a lot of women who would not like to go to the doctors also. I know personally, I would rather shoot myself that go to the doctors, I tend to brush things off, assuming they'll be fine. My dad does the same :p

I don't know why people mention breast cancer more often that prostate cancer. If you are really interested or bothered by it, Ferret, you could always make a stand about it, start your own prostate cancer awareness campaign.

11. Raven

Raven Banned

Interesting topic.

12. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Even if the world is a little late on promoting a healthy prostate, it is better late then never.
    In our parades each year we have this group of guys who hold up signs about prostate cancer and walk down the road.

p.s. "Nobody likes to look at prostates" <-----hahahahahaha good one.

Only way to get prostate cancer as out there as breast cancer is by spreading the word yourself. Every voice counts!