1. MedicMan

MedicMan New Member

Debating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MedicMan, Sep 14, 2007.

Hey all,

Anyone at all out there interested in structured debating? I know we get loads of random discussions all over the place, but sometimes I enjoy a proper debate, like with teams. Anyone else like the idea of trying to run some formal debates on here? Or am I a lone voice lol.

~MedicMan~

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I think that there are many here who would be interested in the idea to be honest. But the problem that arises is arguements and so forth carrying on outside debates.

They can at times he rather heated and cause problems between members. I think if it were to happen on this forum then we would need to have it heavily moderated to help to keep the peace a little.

I personally like to avoid debates as at times I myself can get a little heated over debates and I have very strong views on things and can get rather out spoken.

I find my views are best left with me most of the time. :)

Just my two cents worth anyways.

3. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I think it's a good idea, but should be carefully 'controled' for lack of a better word! Sometimes things get overheated and then the flaming starts. But yeah, as long as it's monitered very closely, it might go okay. Just check over and chat with the mods about it. It might go okay!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I believe there are plenty of other sites for debating hot issues, and I too am concerned about things becoming heated. Also, with formal debating, you need a moderator and a judging panel, which is a bit of a burden.

I personally don't think we need the hassle.

5. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Not a bad idea, in my opinion. But when the arguments break otu I myself find it difficult to handle myself :p.

6. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I'm willing to debate, as long as its friendly. The moment I see flames I'm out.

7. Cogito

If I see flames break out, the debate will be closed. But I'd much rather not have to be in that position to begin with. I won't speak for the other mods, but would not be surprised to hear them say the same thing.

8. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Agreed. You have to tread really carefully and you might have to argue your point of having the debate topic allowed. I think that as long as it's not about religeon, we should be fine! (after the last thread that is!) But I havn't debated anything really. I tend to sit on the fence. It's a comfy place. I might jump off if I feel the need to but, things can get heated pretty quick though. Something to be careful of.

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I personally think this is a bad idea. The debate forum on WF.com is one of the main things that scares people away from it. I don't think that our regular members would be anything but courteous to each other, I'm just worried that others involved may not be so polite. Meh. If the mod team feel it's a good idea, then fair enough, since it's they who'll have to look after it. Unless someone was assigned specifically to moderate it...

I don't know. I'm just a little concerned about the whole thing really. We have a great community here. I don't want to see it divided.

10. MedicMan

MedicMan New Member

Points well taken, but my idea was of formal debates - one side makes an opening statement, then the other side makes theirs; both sides make back up speeches; and then the rebuttals. So in theory, there wouldn't be any flaming :D

~MedicMan~

11. Banzai

Lol. In theory there is never flaming. Anyone who remembers JetBlack knows that's complete bollocks :p (excuse the language)

12. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Of course it also depends on the subject. For example ( this is a classic one), the debate of whether or not you should have to wear a uniform to school and then take another debate about Abortion. There is bound to be a higher chance of a heated argument in the abortion discussion, than that of the school one.

If debates were to be organised, the thread itself would have to be placed under moderation view.

13. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

LOL. There are certain topics that should probably remain un debated such as the mentioned abortion and also religeon, mainly going from the last religeon themed thread that started getting nasty. Maybe is someone wants to debate more... taboo topics, per say, perhaps start them in your personal blogs?

14. Banzai

That's my point, Whisp. Do any of the mod team have the time and energy to devote the attention that would be needed to such a thread/forum/whatever? Or would a specific post need to be allocated to some unlucky bugger, who would have to tread the line between moderation and censorship?

Oh, and if anyone remembers it, the Religion thread went south in rather the same way I'm worried this could. Though that did last quite a while before it ceased to be constructive...

15. Cogito

The question I would ask first is, "How will establishing formal debates benefit THIS site and its members?"

First and foremost, this is a writing site. If we try to be all things to all people, we will end up satisfying no one. Yes, a well reasoned position is a writing challenge, but we have a place for position papewrs and essays already in the Review Room's Nonfiction subforum. To add further structure and supervision to handle the additional elements of a formal debate seems to stray pretty far from our mission without any clear benefit.

16. Cogito

For there to be teams, there needs to be a mechanism to only include the team members in the debate, and only in that person's turn. Exactly how would this be accomplished?

17. Banzai

Surely it would be possible for Lpspider to create a private forum restricted to the pre-agreed team members, Cog? Then again, deciding teams might be a bit of a headache, really...

18. Cogito

And set up a new forum with new teams for each new debate? Sorry,it just seems a lot of hassle for very little benefit

19. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

All debates could take place in that one forum. Read only for those who are not participating in an upcoming debate.

I wouldn't mind seeing this happen if there was enough interest

And if people turn it from debate into flame, then they will simply not be allowed to participate in any future debates, depending on the severity of the flame/outbreak.

20. Banzai

Would you be willing to mod it, Whisp?

21. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Sure, referee kind of thing.

22. Banzai

Well then, I have no practical objection to it. I just feel that someone on the mod team should take particular responsibility for it, as it will need constant moderating. Though really, it's up to Lpspider.

23. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I don't have an issue with debates. There won't be a forum for them exclusively, however. And people have to keep it civil - if people start flaming they'll receive an infraction and the thread may end up closed. Overall, however, debates are okay as long as everyone acts responsibly.

24. Raven

Raven Banned

I think the idea of a debate is a good one. However there are those that can turn an honest debate into flames and insults and personal attacks. God knows anyone who remembers all those situations from the past like Katherine to JetBlack will know full well what I mean.

Id like to think now we can have these debates so as Daniel has stated anyone who begins insults flaming and personal attacks will receive infraction points.

Moderators can and will delete flame posts insults and personal attacks. But the thing about flame posts and insults is Mods are not on 24/7 which means a flame war could start and there is no one available to deal with it nor close thread clamp down. And that’s when it can become nasty. God knows it happened with Katherine.

If you start a debate and can carry it out rationally and in a proper manner then there will be no concern. However if it turns nasty those that turn it nasty will face infractions and a severe warning. And in extreme malice cases will face a 1 week ban from the site. I think those are fair guidelines to abide by.

Agreed?

25. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    That sounds good.
    And if we needed more mods I'd be willing to step up to the plate.