Tags:
  1. Raven

Raven Banned

Rock it, man: Europe launches songs-in-space competition

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Apr 26, 2007.

PARIS (AFP) - If you were an astronaut, zipping around Earth at an altitude of 400 kilometers (250 miles), what music would you like to hear?

How about Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life," for an unfailing morale boost?

Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising" for a touch of celestial rockabilly?

The Rolling Stones' "2,000 Light Years from Home" for occasional consolation that someone else has felt as alienated as you?

The European Space Agency (ESA) on Wednesday unveiled a competition to find a set of 10 tunes that will be quite literally out of this world.

Youngsters are being invited to suggest a playlist of 10 songs that will entertain, support or inspire the crew of the International Space Station (ISS). Any kind of song can be suggested.

The tunes will be downloaded onto an iPod and sent to the ISS aboard ESA's robot space truck, the Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV), which is designed to bring food, water, air and other supplies to mankind's orbital outpost.

The grand prize is a trip to see the ATV's maiden launch in Kourou, French Guiana, later this year.

The competition is open to youngsters aged under 18 who are nationals of countries taking part in the ATV programme (Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland).

Further information on (http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ATV/SEMRS9MJC0F-0.html).

2. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Aw, man.

I'm from Canada so I can't enter this, but I'd definitely include Fly by Night by Chilliwack on my top ten list.

3. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Fire in the Sky - Ozzy Osbourne.

>=D MWAHAHA

4. Falcatarius

Falcatarius New Member

I'm Canadian too, but my picks would be...

"Fly Me to the Moon" by Frank Sinatra

"Freebird" Lynyrd Skynyrd (that would be EPIC)

A bit of Mozart, probably symphony #40 or 41

"The Great Gig in the Sky" Pink Floyd

"Stairway to the Stars" John Coltrane

Cheers
    -Falcatarius

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

"Fly Me to the Moon" by Frank Sinatra

most definately