Tags:
  1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Rockslides vs Blockfield

Discussion in 'Research' started by J.T. Woody, Jul 9, 2020.

One of the notes I made in my 1st draft was to clarify if this was a landslide or a blockfield (or both?)

My MC and her caravan are traveling through the mountains (mountains resemble the Rockies more so than Appalachia). They come across a stretch of rocks and boulders and have to climb down the slope that it had made. In my mind, I am picturing something that looks like this (but sloped):
    [​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]
    (both from wikipedia: Blockfield)

but both are "associated with alpine and subpolar climates."

My MC is traveling 2-3 months after a terrible storm (their rainy season). The storm season is brief, but it causes a lot of damage and has caused a rockslide.
    When i googled rockslide i get these images:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....are these not blockfields too? Does a rockslide make a blockfield? Despite the google images, "rockslide" just makes me think of little fist sized inconveniences :bigconfused:. It just doesn't paint the right picture in my mind....

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I always go with "scree." What a lovely, lovely word.

I would probably use rockslide to describe something sloped and relatively recent-looking. Blockfield seems to be flatter and more... permanent? Not sure. Long live scree!

3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Blockfields are very old and I believe they are not catastrophic, whereas rockslides are disasters.

The images you give don't look like scree to me, which I have always understood to be small and fragmented, deposited over time at the base of a slope; whereas rockfalls produce larger debris, deposited all at once. I'm sure there is overlap, however.

Homer Potvin and J.T. Woody like this.
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Long live scree! The word is cool enough to compromise its technical definition.

5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Fair enough. I feel that way about lollipops.

Homer Potvin likes this.