Role Play 'Kickstarter'

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by losthawken, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Tara

Tara Senior Member

Awesome :D

I was already starting to wonder whether the RP would have anything other than half-demons.

2. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

lol

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Into the Light

The Story

Overview
    Mankind, since his very conception, has lived parallel to a world that he was blind to.
    In Reality, he lives through emotions and releases both joy and anger.
    Joy empowers humans, giving them strength, happiness, and love.
    When anger is felt, it slowly consumes him. Therefor, to save himself, man expresses his anger and lets it out.
    From there, monsters are born.

Parallel to Reality exists a second plane known as the Reflection where the Reflected live.
    The Reflected are shadowy creatures born from released negativity from humans.
    Completely natural and harmless in concept, they go to Reality to feed on man's strength, mentality, and soul.
    They never cause any permanent or real harm. At worst, a random mood swing.
    From there, they grow bigger and stronger, and simply exist until they reach their final stage of life where they turn human.

Normally invisible to humans, the Reflected can only be seen directly after having air blown directly into the eyes. If the eye then focuses on a Reflected, the human will always be able to see them. Often, humans catch momentary glimpses of shadows in the mirror or in the corner of their eyes and attribute it to their mind playing tricks.

Recently, something has begun to artificially create and subjugate the Reflected. Humans are slowly drained to death by the creatures. Some are simply torn apart violently.

Thankfully, a secret organization is ready to defend mankind in its hour of need.
    Though, it is a loosing fight.

Initial Stage

All players will begin in the starting city or its direct surroundings in the middle of the first ever attack by the Reflected.

Players will be able to decide if they happen to accidentally begin seeing the Reflected or if they will simply break for it and try to survive the invisible onslaught

The primary goal will be to escape and find safety before the city is overrun and destroyed.

The city will not be saveable (Though, good luck if you want to try)
    From there, the story will continue and progress to find out the source of the attacks and dealing with it.
    Or joining it, whatever floats the proverbial boat.

There will be the cliche secret organization that "always" existed to monitor the Reflected. Their involvement will be violent. It's up to the player to decide whether to try and join them, stay the hell away, or use them as a method to escape.

Characters

Players
    Characters will be regular humans.
    No fantasy races or super powers.

As you learn HOW to fight the Reflected, I, the GM, will distribute powers through PMs based on your character and what you want. You won't get exactly what you want unless it's exactly in line with the lore and whatnot but you will have something you will like and enjoy.

Powers will be earned as the story progresses. This does not mean you need to be a martial artist to survive or a gun tottin' sharpeye. Just, try not to have a bone shattering disease and you'll be fine.

Notable ways to obtain power is by joining the secret organization, who will train you, or using hate or love as a weapon. Players can also develop abilities naturally as they learn to manage their emotions and desire to fight the Reflected.

Character Sheet
    NPCs
    Monsters will be controlled by the GM (Unless RPed through PMs to organize stuff)
    All NPCs will be controlled by the GM as well to move the story along accordingly. Feel free to PM me conversations and battle stuff to move things along as well.
    Actually, I recommend it.

There will be NO bios made for NPCs or monsters. These will be inside the GM posts and for the character to learn about and understand through a natural medium.

The Reflected
    Rank 1 - Purely smoke and shadow, they are but a black mass of four thin legs and an eyeless head. With no real body, they fade easily with any hit that would be deemed lethal on a physical target. They live to eat and grow, with no more instincts than that.

Rank 2 - Similar to their earlier selves, these have grown physical parts here and there to protect their "vital parts" that are yet developed. These physical parts gather the first of the Reflected's colors and are ordinarily a blood red or deep purple. Greens and blues are much more uncommon.

Rank 3 - Reflected acquire their base shapes. Often, similar to wild animals such as wild cats or wolves with a few oddities here and there. Wholly physical and colors are brighter and more varied.

Rank 4 - Depending on whether they fed on a man's strength, mentality, or soul, the Reflected will grow in that direction. Those who primarily fed on strength will often become big and strong, those who fed on mentality would acquire unnatural skills, and those who fed on the soul would gain humanity, meaning they forfeit great power for human cognition and physiology.

Rank 5 - The junction between monster and demon. Those who focuses primarily on their strengths will grow increasingly more and more powerful and reach brutal shapes and powers. Those who focuses more on mentality or soul will have quasi-perfect human bodies and intellect.
    From here on, the growth of a Reflected is finished. Though they can become stronger, they have reached the epitome of their evolution.
    Those of huge strength will begin to desire to feed more and become more brutal when provoked.
    Those of intellect or soul will desire to cause chaos or indulge themselves though rarely violent.

White Sin - These are men and women who have let the darkness within them grow but has yet to consume them. In this stage, they continuously are capable of tapping into their own wellspring of negativity to grow ever stronger. Generally, the few that do exist, focus on a cardinal sin or obsession to satisfy the growing hate and anger within them. Mostly viewed as cruel humans, they all eventually succumb to the darkness in them.

Black Sin - A White Sin that became consumed by his own hate. Abandoning all humanity, these creatures seek to corrupt the heart of others and relish in making others kill themselves directly or indirectly. In a sense, they are the "broodmothers" that bring new White Sins to the world. Slightly less powerful than a White Sin due to their incapability of generating more hate than they are composed of, they do tend to be more wild and quick to harm.

Hate - An entity created by large gathering of negativity. Very rare and typically spawned from massive events where many humans gathered for cruel activities. They are sentient but have no intelligence. Only Sins have ever been recorded controlling them. They are an infinite circular chasm of darkness with strange glowing colors flowing deep within them. Theyare capable of movement but are incredibly slow. Their mere presence causes emotions to flare within all living things. The scope of their power is unknown.

Combat
    Combat will be done in the usual RP forms. I strongly recommend PMing me or one another to work out details as to condense posts instead of posting small lines due to god-modding restrictions.

Rules of Combat with the Reflected
    1. The low ranking reflected are defeated in a single blow by any move that would normally be deemed lethal. ie: bashing one across the noggin when he has no physical parts there.
    2. Ranged weaponry, such as guns, have no impact on none-physical Reflected as the weapon is deemed devoid of emotion or unconnected with its wielder. However, physical Reflected do get hurt.
    3. Reflected cannot be harmed by anyone experiencing negative emotions. The attack would pass right through them. Neutral states or one of happiness is required to defeat them.
    4. Fighting the Reflected is emotionally draining, long bouts of fighting result in a emotionally dead state.
    5. Reflected die in a puff of smoke. Powerful Reflected "bleed" black smoke and once defeated can cover entire neighborhoods in darkness. This darkness can cause negative emotions to stir within all living things.
    World

Reality
    Reality is the term used for the world where humans live. It is a purely 21st century modern Earth.

• Humans with the sixth sense power can feel nearby Reflected.
    • Reflected cannot sense humans but can see them from a reflection or feel strong negative emotions.
    • Humans have their strength at maximum.
    • Reflected are weaker and might be in a more "condensed" form.

the Reflection

The plane where the Reflected are born and reside.
    • An exact geographical replica of Reality.
    • Devoid of all flora and fauna. It's a wasteland of dirt and sand.
    • The "sunlight" is a dim red that emanates from the gray sky.
    • Reflected do not necesarily reside on a physical plane here. They can simply fade into nothing and materialize back on spot at will. A sort of "sleep" state for them.
    • Humans here cannot sense Reflected.
    • The Reflected can sense humans.
    • Humans emotional states are heightened.
    • Reflected are at their strongest here.
    • Sins can "will" buildings into existence
    Crossing Over
    As the name implies, crossing over has to do with reflective surfaces.
    In the Reflection, the only source of color are bright floating "windows" that act as passage ways between the worlds. Crossing over can only be done by those who can see the Reflected and simply willing to go through.

These surfaces can be silverware, bodies of water, mirrors, or anything else that you can see yourself in.

• Reflective surface must be big enough for you to pass through to work
    • The surface must be reflecting (Not covered up or painted over. Generally requires a light source.)
    • Disturbance disrupt the passage (Such as waves, paint, scratches, darkness, etc.)
    • The Reflected can "jump" at the speed of light between two reflective surfaces that are in line with each other. ie: a mirror reflecting another mirror who reflects another mirror and so on. Humans cannot do this.
    • Other than objects on your person, nothing else will go through. ie: no cars or boats.
    Being devoid of any obstacles, aside from the "ocean", the Reflections can be ideal to save time when moving across vast distances. Though generally can be quite dangerous due to all the Reflected.

Posting
    There will be no "post order" unless a player is busy interacting with another player and has little choice but to do so.
    I, the GM, will move the story along with narrative and events anytime I see fit. So, let's not plant our feet too deep in the ground.

I'll morph the story accordingly to player choices and give them breathing room to interact and have fun but it will be, hopefully, fast paced and filled with fun action.

hopefully, fast paced and filled with fun action.

There is no post requirement, of course, but proper wording, grammar, and all that jazz is mandatory. Type to the best of your abilities.

Please, no colors, fancy fonts, and keep it in third person.

Rules
    Odds are if you aren't new to RPing, you'll find these familiar.
    1. No Godmodding without permissions
    2. You will get hurt in combat, no one dodges every hit but you don't need to lose your arm either.
    3. 3 Characters max per player, try to limit posting and replying to yourself -.-
    4. Posts will be of a literate level
    5. Actions and characters must be believable and logical. (Not that the character himself is logical but the things that happen. Logically, losing two limbs and spewing blood like mad should stop you in your tracks.)
    6. GM has discretion to bend and make rules to fit situation not accounted for. You can trust me... :-D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    losthawken likes this.
  4. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Already said, interested on this.

5. Tara

Tara Senior Member

That^

A.M.P. likes this.
  6. schwuldubist

schwuldubist Member

This sounds very interesting, I'd be down for it.

7. A.M.P.

Yay, thank you for the support :D

8. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

I'm definitely interested. :)

9. A.M.P.

Yay, moar interest!
    Might as well add, if anyone has any thoughts or need clarification on something, feel free to ask me.

losthawken likes this.
  10. HarleyQ.

HarleyQ. Just a Little Pit Bull (female)

I'm interested in it as well. It looks very well put-together.

11. lixAxil

5 interested already huh?
    Good number imo.

12. Luke Andrew

Luke Andrew Member

I would be interested if you are still accepting players.

13. A.M.P.

Luke makes it six :D

14. lixAxil

Saying then.
    Yer sending intro to Losthawken or waiting for more meat?

15. A.M.P.

I think six is good enough to RP.
    It's more than I expected, honestly.
    People can always join in later or as we start up.

losthawken likes this.
  16. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    Hi...wellll, here's my new idea for a RP...I hope it takes off. Tell me what you think, guys. :)

THE FIVE HOUSES OF
    RAVKA

THE STORY
    The once-great nation of Ravka is now a wasteland. Where there were endless fields of green abandon and bountiful forests, there is burnt-black earth and twisted, charred trees. The bustling, thriving metropolis that once inhabited its center is now reduced to ruins. A darkness hangs over Ravka that was not there before, turning the sky gray and the sun a dull silver disc.

The cause--the root of this heinous decimation--are the families of sorcerers called the Five Houses. They were the Witches and the Warlocks that once created wonders with their magics, but fell to squabbling with each other over time. They became jealous of each others powers, and competed to see which family was the most masterful. No one can remember which family started the Great War, but they each contributed to the complete and utter destruction of Ravka and driving away all of its people.

To this day they continue to fight, with no end in sight...

GAMEPLAY
    YOU are the Five Houses that destroyed Ravka. Each player will create 5 family members that make up their House. It can be two parents and three children, or a mother and four children--whatever you decide. Along with the family members, each family will also have a Pet that can be anything from a mundane animal (a wolf) to a mythical creature (a fire-breathing dragon). Create an individual magical power for each family member, and choose wisely because their powers will not change or grow. An example of a power could be Pyromancy, the control of fire, or Telekinesis, the ability to move objects with your mind. (Remember: You are responsible for laying waste to an entire country. Make sure your powers are destructive enough to do damage on that level.)

The Five Houses live in mansions that are equally distant from the city square, a wide open space twice the size of a football field. Every day at high noon, the Five Houses leave their homes and meet in the square to do battle until they are haggard from exhaustion. Our story will begin at high noon as each of the Five Houses are walking through the ruined metropolis to the square. Once you meet, you have free reign to fight as you please until the GM moves the plot along. After this initial battle, every fight and the effectiveness of your attacks will be judged by the GM.

WARNING: Characters CAN die in this RPG. If one of your characters loses all of his health points, he/she will die and you will no longer be able to play that person for the remainder of the game. There will also be various moral dilemmas, such as a situation in which a character may need to be sacrificed for everyone else to survive. Make your decisions wisely and you may last to the end of the game to defeat the main villain. It is up to you.

COMBAT
    After the first free-play battle, the rules will take effect. Post your health points at the top of each post during a fight and deduct points depending on how much damage your character takes. You will start with a 500 health points (for the entire family, including the Pet) and when someone in your family is injured, the collective points go down. The points do not refresh until they hit zero, and the last person to be attacked is the one that dies (the Pet can also die). Only then will the points refresh and the health goes back to a hundred points. There will be ways to earn health points during the game by solving puzzles or defeating bosses. Other than that, be creative with your attacks and just have a good time!

CHARACTER TEMPLATE
    (Only 5 Characters Will Be Admitted To This Game Before It Is Closed)
    Family Name (Last Name):
    Family Member 1:
    Name:
    Appearance:
    Power:

Family Member 2:
    Appearance:
    Power:

Family Member 3:
    Family Member 4:
    Family Member 5:

Family Pet:
    Name:
    Species:
    Abilities:

(Rules: Follow the guidelines, don't use excessive cuss words, and everything should be fine.)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  17. Keitsumah

Idea for a game i might put up after Christmas:

and yes, Ex. You inspired it with Zafara.

Tales of the Twin Tails
    A Keitsumah Production
    Inspired by Tales of VenShara
    The land of the Twin Tails is a vast one. Some even believe that it spans the entire planet, but few explorers have ever dared venture beyond the borders of the Seven Kingdoms. In a lush place full of magic, unusual creatures, dense forests and floating ships, it is a paradise to behold.

But it is not mankind that we will be journeying with in this tale, for the animals have more to say than most would at first assume. The Legend of the Twin Tails is not man's originally, but one of the animal's, and it is with them that we will be exploring the very land of their birth.

Setting:

You will begin in the heart of the Dellwood forest- a place where all creatures have been seen at some point or other, despite the fact that it may not be their otherwise natural habitat- to gather around in the Great Clearing, where the last sighting of the Twin Tails was recorded in order to celebrate another year of plenty for all. Sphinxes, Gryphons, Kelpie, Jaculi, are just a few of the creatures that can be found in the Dellwood forest. In fact, any mythical being can be found if one just takes the time to look. It is one of these creatures that you will be playing as during the celebrations.

Want to find an unusual creature to play as? Click the link below for some ideas!
    http://www.mythicalcreatureslist.com/index.php

Rules of Combat
    To add a higher degree of chance and risk to the game, I as the GM will be rolling a dice for each attack or defense attempt (Read: during any combat post you only get one move- as for any other kind of post you can do as you please. I would like each combat move to be detailed and have your character think of the way it may turn out, but then you stop the post before you get any results). Also, our characters can be killed, so don't think that you can get away with just about anything! The choices you make In-game will also affect the way other characters act around you, and will decide what will happen next in the story.

Oh, and above all, no God-moding please. It makes the game more fun for everyone.

Stats and Attributes:
    Stats are determined by your creature's size. Be they large or small, their speed and power is also affected. Note: a large creature attacking a small creature will usually come to the conclusion that the large creature will win in a battle of brute force. But what if your creature, despite being small, has a poison attribute? They might still win. Battles are all about chance and skill, so get creative with your character's attribute!

(Read: you only get one attribute, and that will affect the kinds of moves you are limited to. All creatures can claw, bite, or charge at one another -those are normal attributes, but if you choose a poison attribute, you can't just blow ice at someone. I will, however, make exceptions for special kinds of creatures that naturally have multiple attributes).

Large (aka: Heavy class):
    • Health: 20
    • Speed: 10
    • Strength: 20
    • Defense: 15
    • Attribute: 5
    Medium (aka: Middle Class):
    • Health: 15
    • Speed: 15
    • Strength: 15
    • Defense: 15
    • Attribute: 10

Small (aka: Light Class):
    • Health: 10
    • Speed: 20
    • Strength: 10
    • Defense: 10
    • Attribute: 15

Now, these stats are what you begin with. Do well in battle, or even outside of it, and I will give points accordingly, then you may choose where to place those points and further strengthen your chances in battle. Attributes in particular are affected by the number of points they have, as with each five points you put into it, you gain yet another ability, but those have to be based on a specific type (poison, ice, earth, water, etc). This does not count regular attacks, so reserve abilities for special-type moves.

However, you must first PM me about your new ability ideas for me to approve of it!

A Game of Chance:

This is where the dice come in. Depending on what number your attack or defense is, I will role a dice with equal sides to that number, as well as an additive or negative chance depending on circumstances. Example: if rocks are falling from the sky, each character will need to do a defensive check to see if they are going to be struck by one of the falling rocks. But don't worry -I will be handling all the numbers, but I figured I may as well explain just how this works.

Character Template:
    Now, let's get started on creating your creatures!

Name:
    Class:
    (heavy, medium, or light)
    Stats: (just copy and paste your class stats here)
    Appearance:
    Attribute:
    (Number of Abilities is determined by class and the points your Attribute has! Heavy gets one attribute, medium gets 2, small gets 3 to begin with.)
    -Ability 1:
    -Ability 2:
    -Ability 3:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    A.M.P. likes this.
  18. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Sounds really really fun! I especially love that mythical creature link

Keitsumah likes this.
  19. lixAxil

Dunno.... I'm like into too many games xD...

20. Keitsumah

lol, that's why i decided to put it up after Christmas if it goes over well. That will give other games time to sort themselves out into which ones will continue and which ones... well im not gonna jinx it. And you all know it has that bad habit of happening.

losthawken likes this.
  21. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

I am honored to be a source of inspiration!

and of cource i'll join.

good on ya kiet!

Keitsumah likes this.
  22. A.M.P.

@Keitsumah
    I approve of your RP setup.
    You present it very well and I wish you the best on it :D

losthawken and Keitsumah like this.
  23. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

You can count on me as always, Keit.

Keitsumah likes this.
  24. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

Can you elaborate of the "side power", Keit?I love your idea by the way. :)

25. Keitsumah

sure, and i think i may actually change that to just being an attribute lol -it's pretty much just like some natural animals have, also, look at the site of creatures and you will see that some are aquatic, some are seductive, some are cave dwellers, etc. Each has their own capabilities in certain environments.

However, i think I'll be giving you guys some select moves to use. It will just make things easier.