1. yokone

yokone Member

As a result of

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by yokone, Dec 16, 2010.

Hi guys!

I have a problem with usage of these words. OK We can say like;

I was in %2 of students as a result of my high grades.

BUT How can I use it for a sentence after "As a result of"...

For example -> "I was in %2 of students because my grades

were very high."

I wanna say this sentence by using as a result of... Can I say

I was in %2 of students as a result of THAT my grades were very high...

THANK YOU

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'i was in 2% of students' makes no sense no matter how you word the rest of the sentence...

and using 'as a result of' can't be followed by 'that' and make any sense... it would be:

'...as a result of my grades being high' or '...having high grades'...

but what you seem to be trying to say is:

'I was among the top 2% of students due to my high grades.'

but that's really a redundancy, since having high grades is the usual reason one would be in the top percentile... why else would you be there?...

3. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

First of all, you need to be a bit more specific when refering to two percent of the students. There is obviously something special about this group. For example, it would be more correct to say "two percent of the students in my class made the honour roll," if that is what you were refering to.

This is how I would put it. "As a result of my high grades, I was part of the two percent of my classmates who made the honour roll." I suggest you double check it, since my grammar is greatly affected by my non-English history. :)

If it helps at all, I can give a few tips on where you went wrong.
    Besides being more specific about the students, you're also not going to be IN two percent of the students. If you took two percent and added yourself in, it wouldn't be two percent anymore. Instead, you are going to be a part of it.

Same deal here as I mentioned above.

Here is where you switched the whole meaning. You should have added punctuation between "students" and "as". However, the big deal here is that you are basically saying, "As a result of me being in the two percent of students, my grades were very high." I assume you meant it the other way around. "As a result of my high grades, I was part of the two percent of students in my class who made the honour roll."

This should set you on the right track, but I would get someone to confirm my words before taking it seriously. Good luck with your writing. :)

P.S. If English isn't your first language, don't by afraid to say it. It's a lot easier for members here to help you out if they know where you are coming from.

4. Newfable

Newfable New Member

You took that left turn at Albuquerque.

5. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

"As a result of of my high grades, I was in the top 2% of students."

Although I agree with mammamaia that it sounds a little redundant. Depending on the context, I'd go with something like, "My grades were so high that I was among the top 2% of students."

6. yokone

yokone Member

Thank you guys.

I got how to use these words. I am not a good writer, but it seems that I ll learn a lot from this web site.