1. Edward

Edward Active Member

A Beginner's Novel

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Edward, Jul 22, 2008.

I have writer's block. Can't seem to get anything out. As such, I'm going to just try to write a simple story, one that while not being a best seller, or even seen by others, would be something to get me onto that horse. They always say the first one is the hardest, so I think that doing something simple and non-monumental would be a great place to start. I don't plan on making it some trope filled thing, but I also don't plan to go out and plan all these twists and turns. Just a simple tale of Good Versus Evil based around a demigod type character and a Dark Ancient power. Not anything new and unique, just something to get things done and write something.

The plot of the story is that the main character, more or less the personification of The Rat, a minor trickster deity, finds himself in the unique position to be the one to seal away Bahamut, God of Flames, Father of the Behemoi, Lord of Earth, and the baddest dude around.

The story is, as I said before, just a generic tale of Good v. Evil were the hero seals away an ancient evil. It's tried, it's true, and most of all, it's rather simple and gets that hardest first one out of the way.

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I always buy a new book when im feeling out of ideas. i never expect to pick anything up, sometimes i do though. But i have fun in the process of reading something new (kinda gets the juices running again).

Good luck with the new short story. Hope you get back into Rhythm quick time.

3. Crimson Threnody

Crimson Threnody New Member

Like what speedy said, I always try to find stimulation through words being read or through hearing them. Go to your nearest coffee shop and just observe people. Write a story about one you find interesting. You never know what may happen.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Maybe you can start by putting your character in a random scene, and developing how he or she responds to it to beging growing the character. Or start putting together some conflicts.

5. Jinx1115

Jinx1115 New Member

I usually just look around my bedroom for Story Ideas. Seriously it works. I started out from looking at my Calender which for July was a photograph of an Ocean. Then it gave me an idea to include some Water Creatures in my story, I ended up getting a Mermaid who falls in love with a Human when she's not even allowed to be seen by them.

6. Edward

Edward Active Member

I-I wasn't asking for how to combat writer's block...

I put this in "Plot Creation" instead of "General Writing" because it's what I'm going to do to combat writer's block. Actually, it's not so much writer's block as it is that I've set myself in front of a mountain.

So what I'm going to do instead of climbing that mountain, is climb a smaller one, and generally work my way up.

I'm going to write a smaller story before I even attempt a bigger one. It's based on a bit of lore I created when I decided that perhaps I could fluff out the religion of Vindae. That little bit of lore was that behemoths, the so-called "Children of Bahamut", these large dinosaur elephant things, are afraid of mice, just like common perception in the real world is. Well, truth be told it probably stems from the same thing, elephants are near-blind, and if something starts making noises were you can't see it, you're going to be a little antsy as well. But, it wouldn't be much of a myth if I left it at that.
    Long ago, there were three ancient powers that fell to Vindae before Elyon, the creator, even woke from her slumber. They were the Titans. And when they awoke they plunged the world into darkness. There were three of them, Bahamut of the Earth, Leviathan of the Oceans, and Ziz, of the Skies. They battled each other for supremacy until only Bahamut was left. Eventually though, his reign was cut short by the Gaetta of the Rats, a trickster character. And since then, behemoth have given all rats and mice a generally wide berth, because they remember what Gaetta did to Bahamut.

And of course, this is the story of how Gaetta defeated Bahamut. The story isn't exactly a long one, and I'm thinking of it as a sort of miniseries. Three or four parts, each only loosely connected, and by that it's just Gaetta going from one place to the next, and then his final showdown with Bahamut.
    The first part is where he blows into town, causes trouble, and catches the eye of Altafair, an urkai expatriate (Bahamut has enslave most of the country of Ha~Sara. It's either join up or leave. I prefer that to "everyone in this race is an evil bastard CoughTolkiencough) who works as a barmaid and Bard.
    Then a few other things happen in a general "Odyssey" type fashion, people to meet, places to go, giants to kill. The McGuffin will probably get stolen, because that gives it some narrative importance.
    And then of course we come to the closing, preferably with a bookend that mirrors the opening in some way.

7. Cogito

Then what is your question, if it's not that you are blocked in plot develoipment?

If you're asking what we think of the plot you've chosen to develop, you know what the response will be, right? :)

8. Edward

Edward Active Member

Actually... I don't know where I was going with this...

Typing it out just sort of solidifies it as an actual goal...

Move along, Citizen.

9. Cogito

Ok, then I don't feel so bad for not being able to figure out where you were going with it either :)

10. BlackMatter

BlackMatter New Member

Hey good luck with combating your writers block, and writing short stories is always good, sparks creativity and will help you write longer stories and even look at your atmosphere and surroundings differently, to draw inspiration etc.

-=BM