Rowling wins lawsuit vs. Web site operator

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TWErvin2, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Please read this. I'm not going to repeat myself again. I do still find the lawsuit a tad bit curious, and I still don't like her face.

2. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

That was actually my point. I already clarified this; her court case was perfectly reasonable and viable.

However, the shameless profit-mongering and endless spinoff products have me more than a little soured on the woman.

(I think Bill Watterson is far closer to the ideal reaction of an artist who creates a beloved icon than the endless Potterspam that's been put out. Any side product you see with a Calvin and Hobbes motif? Is stolen, illegal, or at best morally questionable. Watterson fought tooth and nail to keep the comics syndicate from licensing his work, and more or less succeeded.)

3. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Why exactly is it profit mongering? Are you telling me that if you wrote a book one day which people were interested in making a film, which goes hand in hand with other parafanalia if the film is a success, you would turn it down? Because I damn sure wouldn't, the more people enjoying my novels, the better.

Besides, I think becasue of the popularity of Harry Potter, it has made people realise that there are the novel versions aswell as the films, and brought reading back into age a bit. A few years ago, it was unbeleivably geeky to read. Now however, half the kids at school openly admit they read and half almost all read Harry Potter.

4. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

No, I would not license my novel for a movie, making the rather grandiose assumption that such an offer was ever made. Movies made from books are almost inevitably terrible, and I have seen too many hatchet jobs to ever be happy with what would come out of it.

As I said, I'm with Bill Watterson on this one. Let my work be what it is.

5. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Oh come now Scatters :(. The Harry Potter films aren't half bad. Sure lots of book movies are horrible (If you think Eragon can't get any worse...) but There are some good ones. The Lord of the Rings was pretty good considering how massive the source material was. I Am Legend wasn't bad. No Country for Old Men, though a little weird, was excellent. There are plenty of good book movies.

As for my books being made into movies? Well some books just never translate well no matter how good the movie or the book is. I can't see some of my ideas would turn out too well as a movie. Maybe 003 but something like the Book of the Moon I can't really see making the cut. If I didn't think the movie could be good enough I'd never let it happen (Though I'd consider asking fans if they cared)... look at me, planning already XD.

6. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I have to agree, I don't see anything wrong with turning a book into a movie - provided it's done well.
    But I could be bias due to the fact I have this obsession with film.
    Lord of the Rings is a good example. I think those came out quite well.
    Like lordofhats said, I think some books just aren't so easily translatable on the movie screen.

7. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

Why raise controversy then dodge questions?
    She didn't ask you if you wanted a movie made out of your books- she asked if you wouldn't mind have your intellectual property taken and used and you not seeing a penny of it.

( Im relucatantly saying this. If they'res any other posts related to this I would suggest PMs or Visitor messages- this is off topic.)

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, this is getting far off topic.
    The topic is Ms Rowling's victory in her copyright infringement lawsuit, not her personality or what other profits you feel she desrves or does not deserve.

If that topic has been talked out, as evidenced by the subject wandering away again, the thread will have to be closed.

9. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

People are going to dislike the woman. Everyone at some point or another has "bitched" about someone they don't know.

As someone who once respected the woman, I no longer really do. She does come off as attention starved and a bit money-hungry. WHY? Because of her constant Potter reprisal. She made a point to stress numerous times way back when that she was done with Harry Potter after book seven. Deathly Hallows has been out for over a year and she's STILL milking the franchise for all she can get. She needs to let it die. She needs to stop giving ridiculous interviews in which she makes no sense and gives off boring facts about the character lives after DH. Oh, and not to mention where she basically grows insulted whenever someone has a different interpretation of her work and TELLS them how to think and feel about particular characters/situations/etc. Many, many fans are tired of it. It's growing old.

I don't need to know her personally to know that she's basically proving herself to be the equivalent of a musical one hit wonder. Her interviews, her persistence to continue banking on Harry Potter, all of this is not something made up. I don't need to have met her to know she won't shut up about it.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I guess the topic has been talked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.