1. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

Ruckus's first novel / or the not so short story

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Ruckus, Mar 6, 2019.

They grow up so fast don't don't they? One day they're born- these cute tiny mounds of words that can not by themselves be a complete thought. The next thing you know they're over 5000 words old and yet still so young with so much more words and ideas to go in their life.

This morning, after writing on and off on this story for two weeks, I stopped thinking small and allow my story to grow into what it wants, and apparently it wants to be a novel or at the least a novella.

It's intimidating and scary. I do not recall ever writing something this long in years, maybe ever. This will be my first real attempt at writing anything this long and involved. (usually my stories are all short and to the point) But this is also exciting. It is something new and undiscovered and possibly addicting.

As for a time-line, I am taking the Stephen King quote as a guide. The one where he says the first draft of any novel shouldn't take over three months. which will put the deadline just short of my 40th birthday so that is my official first draft due date. May 22, 2019

I will give the book and myself a month apart. (also a King suggestion) before I dive back in for what is sure to be massive edits and rewrites.

Depending on how much time I can devote to the rewrite process the final book dead line will be a spooky Oct 31th (maybe)

I do not know if I will pony up the funds to pay for a professional editor or just edit the book to the best of my (and pro-writing aids) best ability. or maybe (and that is a big maybe) look for an agent but personally I think I should hold off on that until I knock out a few more novels and gain more experience. But I do not want to speculate too far ahead. after all I never thought I would write a single full length let alone multiple ones.
    For the time being I only want to concentrate on writing the first draft (maybe 80000 words) and worry bout the next step (s) after that.

So that is that - later on I will post a rough sketch of the what the book is shaping out to be. I have a good idea of where it's going and I might share that too.

Let me end this with a tribute to one of the greatest movie reviewers/late night hosts - Joe Bob Briggs and his Monster vision drive in counts. (if your do not know Joe Bob - then I guess you're not too old, do yourself a favor and check him out on You Tube)

Rucuk's Write in totals - so far this book has:
    5498 words
    A protagonist
    An antagonist
    nine scenes
    One instance of forshadowing

That's it for now fokes, Until next time - Happy writing

~Ruckus

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Good luck with it!

(Side note - 9 scenes in only 5498 words means some really short scenes. This may totally suit your content and be absolutely fine, but they're shorter than what I'd expect to see. You may want to take a look, at some point, to see if you're giving enough depth, etc.)

3. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

I plan on going back and adding some life to the short scenes. Once my mind started process the story more I began to throw down a rough sketch of the scences so I would not forget them. :)

4. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

I wrote up a quick rundown of how I see my story in my head.. this is a rough draft so don't judge to harshly :)

Tag line: Distractions will be dealt with...

Trent Williams, whose known as Mark Ritter, is a successful author and blogger in self-help and self-development community with a devoted following on social media. For all his popularity Trent's only real talent is rewriting others blogs and books to make his own. He knows how to hide who he is and cover all his tracks on-line and off. He has dodge the truth for years. He knows how to be careful. Even while in a drunken stupor.

But when Trent receives an E-mail requesting that he consults on a new project put together by a clue-less life-coach, he jumps for the chance to cash in on his internet fame while taking advantage of the Neils ignorance. Trent soon discovers Neil's true intent, is to force Trent to live up to his own alter ego - Mark Ritters standards

Now Trent will have to avoid distractions and fulfill his "someday" list no matter what that entails, even if he has to hide a few bodies in the process.

marshipan likes this.
  5. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

I'm a little over the 9000 word mark. Everything is going along ok but not great, not good either for that matter... It's not the story, that I like, there is something off about how I am telling the story. I am not going to let this stop me. I can alwasy change things up on the rewrite once more details come to light.

6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Contributor Contributor

Sometimes that kind of feeling might hint that there is some need to self reflect the relation of writer and story. (Protagonist - writer, antagonist - who?, conflicts in story - conflicts writer has or needs to have in his own life, theme - life situation, character arch - character arch....)

I don't know if that is valid here, but it is worth thinking.

Ruckus likes this.