Tags:
  1. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Senior Member

Rules for Success

Discussion in 'Insights & Inspiration' started by LoaDyron, Jun 3, 2019.

Good morning everyone. :superhello:

I watched a video and gave me this idea for this post. Here tell us the rules of your favourite artists for success, it doesn't necessarily need to be a writer, can be a painter, comic artist, painter, sculptor, musician, president, anyone you can remember. Please see the caveat below....

I will start with Neil Gaiman:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2019
    Malisky and deadrats like this.
  2. jannert

jannert Super Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Speaking as a Mod here: It would make sense, as this is a writing forum, for these advice-givers to be writers, as Neil Gaiman is a writer. Otherwise this could stray WAY off topic. However, if the offerings stay within 'writers' who have advice for success in life, then it's a fine inspirational idea, in my opinion. :) There is some danger that this thread will end up duplicating other threads in this section (which we are trying to keep as unchaotic as possible)—which might result in the thread eventually being closed—but let's play it for a while and see what happens.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    LoaDyron likes this.
  3. jannert

Here's insight into how to build and maintain success as a writer, from a very successful one. (Whose blog is well worth following.) And no, the 'Jan' who is the first commentor on this blog entry is NOT me! :)

https://www.joeabercrombie.com/2011/09/14/structure/

Night Herald and Cave Troll like this.
  4. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Senior Member

Sorry if I create something unnecessary. :superfrown: This will not happen again. I will change only to be for writers.

5. jannert

That's no problem as it is. You don't really need to change it. And I do really like the idea. :)

LoaDyron likes this.
  6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Senior Member

Author of the books Maps of Meanings, 12 Rules for Life and Political Correctness Gone Mad. Clinical psychologist and professor of psychology, one of the leading scientists in psychology. Jordan P. Peterson in the same series as opening speech.

TWErvin2 and Maverick_nc like this.
  7. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Member

I've quickly become a huge fan of Jordan Peterson. I've never seen him ruffled, he tackles difficult and controversial problems head on, and debates with extreme intelligence.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  8. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Member

I tried reading 'The Blade Itself' a few years back and couldn't finish it. Perhaps it deserves a revisit...

jannert likes this.
  9. jannert

Well, no author is everybody's cup of tea. :) There are quite a few authors out there whom lots of people like, and I have never really been able to get into them. They're good writers, but they're just not me.

Maverick_nc likes this.
  10. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I loved every part of this video. All very true. Thanks for sharing it,

LoaDyron likes this.
  11. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Senior Member

No problem. That's why sharing is good. :superwink:

Malisky likes this.
  12. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

The thing is there really aren't rules for success. Hard work and luck mean everything. It's nice to hear how other people got to where they are, but we're all on a different course. I do like how the guy in the first video says how it's important to just enjoy the success and not always be thinking about the next story or the next deadline and so forth. I'm going to try and do that more. I'm not super successful, but years of hard work and nothing but rejection are starting to pay off a bit. I need to be happy with that and just know that my best work hasn't even been imagined yet. And that's okay. Our accomplishments no matter how big or small call for celebrations. We all work hard and when things start to turn out in our favor it's worth taking the time to enjoy it. I've accomplished more than I thought I would. Still, I have a bad habit of thinking I always need to be working to climb higher. I'm in a good spot. Enjoying it for awhile won't hurt anything. That's the biggest takeaway for me.

LoaDyron likes this.
  13. Malisky

Malisky Mercury Retroblade Contributor

The Middle of Nowhere The Center of Everywhere

Alan Aspie likes this.