1. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

S/He Chuckled

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by montecarlo, Oct 2, 2020.

Merriam Webster defines chuckle as "to laugh inwardly or quietly"

When I read in a book "S/He chuckled" I hear in my mind something in between "inward" and laughing loudly. I searched "what does a chuckle sound like" and got some results. Here are three:

I think the second example is what I hear mentally when chuckled is written, but it doesn't seem to match the definition to me (too loud and obvious).

Sometimes I want a character to be amused, and let out a... chuckle? The sound you make when you snort out your nose, just once...

Okay, I can't describe (which is why I'm posting in the first place)

At 8 seconds, he makes a sound after the dumb joke, and then says "it's funny"

How to describe THAT sound? sounds like the dictionary definition of a chuckle, but I don't think anyone (definitely me, at least) reads chuckle like that.

2. montecarlo

And sometimes people make that... snort? I'll call it a snort...

And sometimes people make that snort in exasperation, and sometimes genuine bemusement, but it sounds slightly different

3. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

How interesting. I suppose when I would think of "chuckle" I would always think of a cute little laugh lol. I hadn't thought of the term "inward laugh."

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

A chuckle is a small laugh. Not loud or long or a big deal. Just a little snort, grumble, or brief ha that expresses amusement but doesn't evolve into actual laughter.

Infel likes this.
  5. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

I also usually hear 'chuckle' used in a sort of condescending manner. I know it doesn't have to be, but when I see it I usually read it in that tone.

6. montecarlo

Given that a reader may hear chuckle differently than the author's intended usage, I shy away from that word in my writing. But I still get hung up every time my character chuckles (dictionary definition and what Homer posted). I don't want to write "chuckle" but I get stumped for alternatives.

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Does it really matter? Let go of trying to control your reader so much. The most effective writing lets the reader fill in the gaps, because nothing you write will ever be as real as the thing the reader imagines in their head.

8. alpacinoutd

alpacinoutd Senior Member

Depending on the situation, you can use the word "giggle", too.