1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

A question from The Staff:

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Wreybies, Apr 25, 2014.

Since times lost in fog and memory, myth and whispers from roots of mountains to roots of the wood there has been but one master in this Realm: Losthawken.

We, the humble servants charged with the keep and welfare of the greater Realm within which this one resides know that there are times when the good Losthawken is off on other duties of family, faith and making of his life in that nebulous place the wee folk call The First World.

We, The Staff, have respected the sovereignty of this place because it has always represented a light in the occasional dark that comes over the lands, a reminder of fun, fair play and good-natured fraternal and sororital fellowship.

.... ok, I can't keep up with that kind of LotR language, so back to regular speak. ;)

The mods know that sometimes Losthawken isn't around because he has a life, a family, and all that good stuff to which he has every right. The Staff is the only other group of people who have the technical powers to approve your RP's and let you guys have your fun, and we would like to be able to help in those times when help is needed and Losthawken is away.

I'll be the first to say that I'm dumb as dirt regarding RP, what makes for a good RP, why an RP get approved and one gets denied.

Can you guys maybe help us to help you when you need it and school us a little on how you choose your RPs so we can do our little behind the scenes magic without stepping on toes or stirring a pot what doesn't need stirring?

@KaTrian @T.Trian @minstrel @Wreybies (aka The Staff) ;)

KaTrian and minstrel like this.
  2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I personally welcome the idea. :D

You all are the best bunch of mods that has been about since I've been here. However, there is a lot of nothing happening here with respects new games at the moment. :/ There seems to be a lack of committed new blood to keep things fresh.

Pretty much, there are only a couple reasons why RP's ever get denied.

1) Lack of development

2) To much activity/ not enough support.

For the first one, an RP is like any story, it needs a good foundation. That foundation is the First Post, the game seed that lays out the rules and what not. If there isn't much there, or if its contradictory or confusing, chances are that Lost would send if back for revision before approving it. I only know of a couple of cases where that was necessary. Once in a while he would send them back for editing for grammar and such, but again, pretty rare.

For the second point, if there are a lot of games going on in relation to the given population of the subforum, that might be reason to hold of on approving a game. Currently, there are only 4 active games though, as opposed to 15 or 2o at one point. It also seems like the population has dropped off as well. There is still a core group around, but nothing like it was this time a year and a half ago.

We also have the Roleplay Kickstarter thread which serves as a gauge of how much interest there would be in a certain game. It seems to have weeded out the majority of games that get approved just to die on the launch pad.

Also, games posted by new members typically don't last too long, but there have been exceptions. Pretty much, the kickstarter thread should (in theory) solve the problems of what to approve and what not to.

Those are the main things I can think of right now, hope it makes the task a little easier! :D

3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

So who owns the rights to the entire game?

4. Pheonix

Like the legit copyright? lol

No clue. Hasn't come up.

But for the most part, the OP/GM has the most control over the fate of the game and story. The really epic games end up being the most collaborative and with the best characters.

5. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

mmm....
    Well the person who put a bit of control here has to be someone who kinda knows about Roleplaying in general, and a person who knows the current players. Also someone who is up to welcome new players and make of this subforum a better place if you get what I mean..
    So why don't you mod Pheonix? I mean he is kinda the guy who catch the drift more than anyone around here.
    Besides we all roleplayers know him, he is responsible and reliable.

6. Lewdog

That's the question. What if say I for example, went in and wrote one part in the RP, then once the RP was finished copied and pasted the entire story together and printed it and got it copyrighted. There needs to be some kind of rules placed on the RP section that there is to be no using of the RP games for personal use or something.

7. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

There is an idea

Phoenix as a mod for RP section

I could get behind that fully

8. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

I think Phoenix would be an awesome mod! As the detective I give my full support. :D

9. lixAxil

To be honest, Pheonix is the only guy here I know that reads not only the games he is GMing or playing in, but other's players games also.

10. Kingtype

PHOENIX M0d 4 LIFE

Dude is fit for the job

He's a good piece of work....ask anybody

11. Wreybies

Well, it wasn't my intent to incite an insurrection :oops: as I have a great deal of respect for Losthawken, but, if the Hawk were of a mind to want a partner, someone with whom to share the duties, cover the bases, Phoenix is a proven stand-up guy. I would support that fully. :)

12. lixAxil

If that's the case.... then why don't we ask the man?
    I know he is busy, but well he peeks here sometimes and is a quick question no?

13. Wreybies

Well, that's the thing. We've not seen him in a bit, I noticed the update in Phoenix's "status" concerning the game he's working on and there's a game awaiting approval as we speak. When one of your games is waiting for approval, we mods "see" it because it goes into bucket with other kinds of threads and Resources that we have to approve before they go live. Whenever we see the little red box light up with numbers, it means something is in need of attention and when it's an RP we don't usually touch them, so the red button stays there, bright and glowing, like an itch you cannot scratch. :p

14. Pheonix

I would definitely be willing! Honored in fact. :) I wouldn't want to step on Lost's toes though. But I really have a lot of time invested in this place and would be happy to help out. :D

15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I would, too. I would suggest, though, that because he's been absent for three whole weeks, and we don't know when he's coming back, we might promote Pheonix (yes, he spells it with eo instead of oe, and is unapologetic about it :) ) to at least the position of "acting RPG mod" in LostHawken's absence. When LostHawken comes back, he (and Daniel and members of the RPG community) could decide whether he should stay on permanently. In the meantime, though, the business of the subforum could continue. Is that fair?

16. lixAxil

I as an active player of the section have no complain against that.
    So is important to see how other members agree.
    Though of course the opinion of Pheonix and the other staff members is of value here

17. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

That seems like a good compromise until Hawk comes back.

18. Pheonix

@minstrel @Wreybies I'm fine with that. :)

Also, there is something to be said for phonetic spelling on occasion. :p

minstrel likes this.
  19. Lewdog

...but in phonetic even the 'o' comes before the 'e.' :D

20. lixAxil

Pheonix likes to troll us all with his dubious name.
    I recall the dark times, ages ago when I called him Phoenix..... Dark times indeed, the fear of those moments are still carved within my skin hair.

21. Kingtype

JUST as the song depicted Phoenix's spirit became one with the mods

OOOOOOOOOOh!!! Such a TOUCHING MOMENT!!

lixAxil likes this.
  22. lixAxil

EPIC

23. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I'm a little late coming into the discussion, but what the hell: I must confess I only have a very general idea of what's going on in this area (I'm sure you know to take it as a compliment when I say this place looks a bit like the twilight zone when seen from the outside), but I trust @Wreybies and @minstrel, so if they say @Pheonix would be a good fit for an acting RPG mod, then that's how it is and he gets my vote.
    Over and (peace) out and all that jazz, black metal, and hootenanny...

24. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

First off, this is good. I welcome @Pheonix to the ranks!

Second, my apologies for not being around. I'll spare you the long sordid story, save to say that in addition to crises in the 'real world' my email alerts from WF haven't been getting to me consistently.

I was actually pondering how to appoint my successor this very night. As it stands, I have a family, a brand new job in science, and a contract with Xchyler Publishing to conjure up a fiction novel by this time next time this year. All that together means I will not have time for proper RPing. I tried to help out @Love to Write a while back in reviving the Orb of Pyritus, but had a major issue come up right when she needed me most and dropped the ball. (Sorry about that LtW :( ). It doesn't make for success to mod the RP section without being involved in the games.

I gladly support @Pheonix's promotion to the Fourth Role Playing Moderator. I shall hence forth call him 'The Fourth' and long may he reign.

Thomas Kitchen, minstrel and Pheonix like this.
  25. Wreybies

Excellent. :) I'm glad that worked out for the happy of all. :D