1. Paki-Writing

Paki-Writing New Member

Weak-Writer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Paki-Writing, Aug 23, 2008.

Ever since I was young, I hated English. Dread was what I felt when handing in written assignments. My teachers would return them to me, having written down all the grammar mistakes I made, which seemed to be in every line I wrote. I guess it’s easy to hate something you’re not good at.

I never really read much outside science-related literature until I was 17. Then I started reading non-fiction books. In the process of reading books, I started to not hate English anymore, even though I still sucked at it. Oh, if only I could write well. Why can’t English be easy like Math? Sigh.

I’ve come here in hopes that you guys can help me out with my grammar and writing style. And yes Cogito, I will review work before posting my own - even though my reviews won’t be any good, considering how weak I am at writing! (Oh, and by the way, I don’t think Descartes was the first one to come to the conclusion “I think therefore I am.” I believe Ghazali, who died 1111, reached that same conclusion.)

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

:) Welcome to the Forums.

Reading is one of the best ways to help your writing so you've made a good start already.

I look forward to reading your reviews and your work. Glad to have you with us.

3. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

Have you ever read anything by e.e. cummings? ;) It always makes me feel better. He breaks every rule, and it's still considered writing, even art-- even genius.

Welcome!

4. AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter New Member

Hey :)
    Welcome to the Forum.
    I'll bet that you're better at writing than you think you are.
    I came on here thinking that I was garbage, but once I started to post some work, and members started complimenting it, I started to gain some confidence.
    If you ever need someone to look over your work just send me a message.

5. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

[​IMG]

6. Paki-Writing

Paki-Writing New Member

Hello All

Daisy: It’s nice to get such a warm and welcoming post from someone with such a sweet name.

Palimpsest: I heard of E.E. Cummings, but never read anything by him. It does make me feel better the one can be grammatically challenged and still be considered a genius!

Anonymous Writer: Your post makes me feel better. This place does feel warm and welcoming. I’m just scared that school, which is starting this Monday, will take away all my time. I want to spend a good amount of my time on this forum.

Rumpole40k: I’m scared your avatar will come out and kill me! Is that “Welcome” sign a trap?

Since Daisy said, “Reading is one of the best ways to help your writing” can anyone recommend some good books?

7. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

LOL! Nah .... I swear my avatar is holding soda and chips to welcome you. Yeah ... that's it soda and chips ....

8. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

Welcome to the forum. I too was terrified with writing and English when I was in grade school... I wonder where I went astray. ;)

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello PW, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Reviewing is a learned skill, just like writing is/ Practice helps.

Posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

10. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Hello PW...Love the avatar!

Welcome to the forums. [​IMG]

11. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Welcome to the forums :D

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Hi Paki,

In your post you said you like to read non - fiction and I rarely read much of it anymore since I started writing fiction.

I find it helps me to read books in the same genre I like to write in which for me is fiction. There is nothing like escaping into my characters lives. It's like living an entirely different life than your own and getting to control it all. :D

Here is a website that lists the top 100 non fiction books that might give you some ideas.

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestnonfiction.html

Hope you're enjoying the forum.