1. Fastball

Fastball New Member

Same sex relationship advice

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Fastball, May 6, 2019.

Sorry if this isn’t the right section, it seems right after looking around. And sorry for the weird title.

Ok so I’m writing a abduction story, my main character Brie is abducted by two singers called Selena and Taylor. However I untimely plan to have Brie in a relationship with Taylor. My main problem is this, I’m unsure how to make that happen.

Brie already thinks she bisexual because of the way she feels around other women, but is kind of in denial, like she’s not ready to say like “I’m gay” or “I’m bi”. So Brie’s friend who’s called Avril takes her to a gay bar. Avril knows Brie is at the very least bicurious because of the way she’s been acting around her.

I’m unsure if I should have Brie admit her feelings to Avril and ultimately form a relationship with her, so basically Brie can have her first kiss with other intimate moments with Avril like going on a date stuff like that. Or should I hold off and have Brie admit her feelings to Taylor and have them both experiment together since Taylor thinks she’s straight?

DK3654 likes this.
  2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Stockholm Syndrome: 60% of the time, it works every time.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I feel like the crime victim/criminal relationship element is far more relevant than the same-sex element. It’s hard to address the question without more information.

4. DK3654

DK3654 Almost a Productive Member of Society Contributor

Yeah, I'm with the other commenters- the abduction part needs clarification/more information. Who are these people to her? Why do they (presumably) stick around each other before this relationship begins? Why Taylor of all people?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

Sometimes encounters such as this happen when they're least expected, after a few drinks maybe and they get playful?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Hello friend. :superhello:

My advice is simply this, don't focus too much about that relationship being the same sex, that will only distract you from the plot and characters. Instant, know better your characters, and here I mean their personality, background and culture. While you are writing be the charterer and ask yourself, as Brie will I confess my feelings to Avril on this situation? If your answer is yes, then make the character confess her feelings; if not delay and create anticipation for the moment.

Also, another thing is to create something that makes them together. Here I mean, did they lost someone important for them? Are they fighting a corrupted government? In their backstories, create something that makes them have empathy or compassion for each other or both. I will post here a video that explains how to create romantic chemistry:

I hope this helps. Keep on good worm and have fun. :superagree:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Perhaps Brie just gets cheesed off with men and decides to try the opposite sex.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll get my coat...

EFMingo, Oscar Leigh and jannert like this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'll hold the door open for you... :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Don't be seen to be a rape apologist, if that's at all a risk. That would be the first thing. This is more of a yaoi(Manga gay men genre) problem, but there's a bit of thing with LGBT romance and weird abusive sexual lead-up. Being sexually abused is not good lead-up to a relationship, and it should not be treated merely an expression of the abusers poetically tragic character.
    Similar applies to non-sexual abuse.
    Also, if the relationship occurs after kidnapping, do you have any idea how this would occur? What are your thoughts on the transition? More specifics on that would be easier to commend or critique.

10. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

I wrote a chapter involving two women who have an encounter and I found that it helped to throw them into a situation where they were both trying to resolve the same unrelated (to them personally) conflict. In other words, they were a team, as such.
    One could say, that in the OPs case, they also have an excellent scenario for that already, as someone has already suggested a Stockholm Syndrome possibly playing out. You could play with that to your heart's content, but ignore the fact that it's two women, because the reader knows that already. That's the hook.
    The words lesbian, same sex etc, don't even need to be mentioned. Stay as subtle and lightly touched as you can get away with.
    In my case, I used a little foreshadowing from the point of view of only one of the women and put them both in very physically close situations, under pressure from the conflict they were trying to resolve and ultimately drawing them together at the resolution of that conflict.
    I thoroughly enjoyed writing that chapter, especially since I liked both of the characters, who were ballsy, yet vulnerable.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :supergrin:
    [​IMG]

IDK what the motivation behind the attraction is. Is it due to Stockholm syndrome, or is
    it more of an organic attraction?
    Going to go out on a limb and think that women who like women, may be into the
    'bad girl' thing, like straight women are into the 'bad boy' thing.
    Or maybe it is simply easier to survive, by doing whatever it takes to survive while being
    held captive, by acting how the captor expects with the hope of being released at some point
    (or in the very lest not get killed by them).

You need to consider all the possibilities and work with the one that works with your stories
    plot, without coming off as too implausible. Logic before forced plot development. :superidea:

Oscar Leigh and DK3654 like this.
  12. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

To keep the reader in suspense, I would suggest that Brie does NOT reveal her feelings to Avril or anyone else at the outset. Have her contemplate her predicament and then for her to weigh up how she can use her bisexual urges to gain her freedom. If indeed she really wants that freedom.
    She needs to do a figurative dance around her two captors, Selena and Taylor, thus snaring the one she feels would be receptive to her advances.
    Most of all, keep us guessing.

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.