1. MythMachine

MythMachine Active Member

Question Posting Artwork for Graphic Novel

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by MythMachine, Sep 6, 2017.

Pretty much what I stated in the title, I'd like to know which forum header would be a good place to post artwork under, in regards to my graphic novel. It may consist of concepts, pages, or full art pieces, but I don't really see any area of the forum for artwork like some other forums do, unless I missed it, so I want to make sure I put it up in the right place. I'll also be posting scripts for the novel, but I already saw the thread for that. Thank you for the help in advance. :-D

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I can never seem to remember the answer to this question, but IIRC we have decided to take a "pure writing" approach for this forum. I.e. we don't have any place for comics, graphical novels, etc. because we focus on the written word, so graphics are outside the scope of the forum.

However, I'll try to get a second mod to answer as well, just to make sure that I'm not lying to you. :)
    @Wreybies @KaTrian @T.Trian @Mckk @minstrel @Kingtype

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    MythMachine likes this.
  3. MythMachine

First off, thank you for the honest response :-D
    I suppose I understand that they're not finalized in a "written" medium (dialogue and narrative bubbles aside), but they do require a great deal of writing to create, and they are a viable form of storytelling. If I wanted to simply post up complete scripts, I could, and have people review that, but the impact of a graphic novel is in the combination of artistic and written elements. I'm looking for opinions on the whole of it.

In the end though, I realize that the mods have the power of choice in the matter, so whatever you all decide I'll have to live with. As a final point, however, by including other mediums of writing, the diversity of the forum would grow in a positive way. Comic writers, graphic novelists, and other creators could benefit greatly from the input of a community of writers (especially accomplished writers) and I think the community would benefit as well. Networking is super important in any creative field, and perhaps this forum could help those that lack the resources to do so. I do understand that is more work, but I think good writing benefits the most from open-minded ideas. For instance, I've gotten a lot of inspiration for my graphic novels from a plethora of other media, not simply reading other graphic novels.

Fernando.C and Komposten like this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I know wrey post his in a gallery - i just can't remember where exactly, may be it was on his blog

nope it was an album in the galleries which are accessed here https://www.writingforums.org/gallery/ I have no idea how or even if you access them from the main page

MythMachine likes this.
  5. MythMachine

That's a cool idea, except for the fact that I probably won't get much feedback if even a notable and well-versed member such as yourself doesn't really know much about it. I doubt casual or even dedicated members would be able to find my content, because I'm still pretty new, and I've scoured the forums and menus for anything resembling a gallery and I wasn't able to find it. I see something about the "Xen Gallery" in the profile settings menu, but that doesn't give a clue on how to find it.

I do appreciate bringing that to my attention though =)

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

you could post it in the gallery and then put a link in the lounge.... the lounge being for stuff that's not strictly writing related

MythMachine likes this.
  7. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

It seems like editing @-mentions into a post doesn't send alerts, so I guess I'll have to try again...

@Wreybies @KaTrian @T.Trian @Mckk @minstrel @Kingtype Please see the first few posts in this thread.

MythMachine likes this.
  8. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Yeah, a sub-forum for art hasn't been in the plans. We would probably need @Daniel's opinion. :)

Right now members can use their blogs or insert a link to e.g. their DeviantArt in their signature.

MythMachine likes this.
  9. MythMachine

Thanks for taking the time to answer :-D
    As I said, I'll accept whatever the final answer is and be happy, but I do feel like the forum would benefit from an art section or subforum, and it would be great to see other contributors for it if such a thing came to be. If not, then I'll try using the blog and link my DA as well =)