1. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Sandalwood scent

Discussion in 'Research' started by LoaDyron, Dec 27, 2018.

Good morning everyone :superhello:

I'm in a situation that I need help. I would like to know a scent, perfume to be more precise, that could fit a character that is kind and gentle, however, at the same time is incredibly vain. While searching I come across with sandalwood, which is associated with masculinity, which is fine, the side that's backing me is this part of the information, since the character isn't interested in sex: Scientific studies have concluded that women subconsciously link the scent of sandalwood with aldosterone, thus elevating attraction and sexual desire to men wearing that scent.

With this information, do you believe I should have a different scent? If so, which one do you recommend me? Or, do you think is alright, even if the character isn't interested in sex?

Any feedback is very appreciated.:supersmile: Thank you

2. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Scientifically speaking, it's food scents that are the most seductive.
    Vanilla, pumpkin pie, cinnamon, black licorice.

Before a hot date, I'll sometimes put a dab of maple syrup behind my ears. If I don't get lucky and come home alone, my cat will lick my ears. And that's okay too.

3. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

I honestly can't tell if you're being serious or not. It just needs to be said that's just brilliant....

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

@ChickenFreak is interested in perfume... not sure if she follows male scents or not, but she might come by with some suggestions.

LoaDyron likes this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think she does! She helped me a few months ago with some questions I had regarding purchasing vintage bottles of perfume. I learned the term fougere, and how/why some scents evoke innocence and others evoke sex.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think sandalwood is nicely suitable for your goal. While I can believe the sexual attraction thing (I hadn't heard it, but I can believe it) IMO nevertheless isn't seen in that light. IMO, no one would say, "If you don't want sex, why are you wearing SANDALWOOD?!"

(My statement is slightly undermined by the fact that Surrender to Chance, a perfume decant house, has a set of 8 samples of sandalwood fragrances for which the title includes the word 'sexy'. I still hold to my view.)

The communicates-sex scents tend to be heavy on animalic notes--musk or civet (both synthetic these days, because, cruelty) or ambergris (usually synthetic, because, expensive). Or leather. Or various notes that smell like sweat. I drift off and add a link to a Now Smell This post and a Perfume Posse pot, both about 'skank', though in the context of women's perfumes:

https://nstperfume.com/2015/10/12/5-perfumes-a-skank-sampler/
    http://perfumeposse.com/2012/08/25/where-did-the-term-skank-come-from-in-perfume/

Sandalwood is, IMO, traditional and pleasing, but not traditional in the sense that a person would feel that they smell like their father. It offers an opportunity for quality distinctions because a person can seek out fragrances that use real sandalwood oil rather than synthetic sandalwood, and there are quality levels in the kinds of real sandalwood. (Now I suddenly want to get my hands on some real sandalwood oil.)

Are you looking for an actual named sandalwood-heavy fragrance, or just "sandalwood"? I think just-sandalwood is probably better; it wouldn't date the book.

Necronox, LoaDyron and BayView like this.
  7. LoaDyron

Thank you very much! :superagree: You gave me a good insight into fragrances scents.

I don't understand very much perfume. If you advise me to stick with "sandalwood", I will accept it. :supersmile:As long as reaches to what I am looking for, that's what matters. :superwink:

8. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Well, it depends on why they're vain. Are they vain because they are actually beautiful, or are they vain as a cover for their insecurities? If it's the latter then it's probably something expensive, a little overpowering and associated with some kind of brand they like to associate themselves with.

LoaDyron likes this.
  9. LoaDyron

Thank you very much, my friend. :supersmile:As I have stated before my understanding of fragrances and perfumes are minimal, so I was trying to find one that could suite the character traits. Your opinion is also a good hit, so yes it is helpful. This because I am a detail maniac. :supertongue:

10. LoaDyron

It's the first one, and the character is aware is beautiful. :superwink:

11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Ah yes, the memory of the most beautiful girl in my social circle letting me hold her hair, the aroma of the Taco Bell and tequila vomit that spewed out of her in the parking lot that night....heavenly.

12. Damien Loveshaft

Damien Loveshaft Active Member

Yeah, just be away sandalwood was expensive if this is a historic style piece, it was also used a lot for religious reasons. I don't think there's huge personality connotations with scents though so have a little fun with it I guess.

If so some good scents to look into might be musk, pine, cinnamon, frankincense, or myrrh. (I'm assuming this character is male?)

LoaDyron likes this.
  13. LoaDyron

Yes is male.

14. ChickenFreak

It does to some extent depend on the context—if you’re getting specific about the brand of his jacket and shoes and so on, you may need a name. Or it could be “...that lovely sandalwood cologne he’d found in Paris. Nothing else could match it.” Or something like that.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  15. The Dapper Hooligan

Personally, most of the time, I wear whatever scent someone else thinks I wear well or I think will get me sexy good times. Most of the time that turns out to be Old Spice, (probably because a lot of the people I'm into have daddy issues, but that aside), but if I'm wearing anything for myself, I love having the smell of cedar smoke on me, and I have a little bit of a fragrance from Demeter that I don't think you can get anymore that smells remarkably like a sawmill, with hints of earthiness and motor oil.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  16. ChickenFreak

If you long for that fragrance, try emailing CB I Hate Perfume to see if there’s anything like it. Christopher Brosius was behind Demeter and now he’s CB. Sawmill with earth and motor oil sounds like him. What was it called?

17. The Dapper Hooligan

No idea. It was part of a sampler someone gave me a long time ago and due to a tragic Dettol accident during a move, most of my toiletries no longer have labels.

18. ChickenFreak

Hmm. It might be worth trying Greenbriar 1968.

http://cbihateperfume.com/shop/perfumes-a-to-z/104

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  19. LoaDyron

My idea is to use perfume to show his personality, especially his vanity trait, nothing else. But probably is a bad idea. Netherless, thanks a lot of your information. :supersmile:

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  20. The Dapper Hooligan

I think it's a good idea. Like a down to earth personality could use a musky scent; a brighter, perkier personality could use fruity, citrus, or minty scents; and intellectual types could elicit tobacco smoke and musty books. I'm really not sure what vanity would smell like, though. New car? Leather? Coconut hair product?

LoaDyron and Artifacs like this.
  21. ChickenFreak

Vanity could be based on brand. JAR, for example:

http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2013/10/22/jar-the-experience-the-perfumes-the-philosophy/

It depends partly on whether his vanity is based on flashy expense, exclusivity, tradition, the snob appeal of natural ingredients, brand recognition...

But, again, specifics could date you.

22. LoaDyron

Well, as I said, is most to show how vain the character is, but probably I should had provide a little more than just my idea. The character is from a fantasy world. So maybe what I am looking for is not perfume but oil essence? Or soap? Or simply herbs?

23. ChickenFreak

Oh! Sandalwood should be fine, assuming he’s reasonably prosperous.

LoaDyron likes this.
  24. LoaDyron

Let's see... he's a knight, so I assume at least he is paid well enough. :superwink: True be told not soo much as his king or another noble family, but at least well enough than the rest.

25. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

Is it considered masculine because it is similar to sweaty body odor?
    I can't stand sandalwood and most females I know love it.