Sarcastic friends (brief language...)

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Imaginarily, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

Thanks everyone for the feedback, again. :-D

I'm still tinkering with this in the back of my mind. The scene that follows will be up for critique soon, if any of you are interested. :whistle:

Aaron DC likes this.
  2. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

I find it very interesting to see before/after of an edit, so yeah, bring it :agreed:

Imaginarily likes this.
  3. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

@Aaron DC It's up in the Workshop. :-D

The scene that this excerpt is from is part 2 of 3, there's links.

Aaron DC likes this.
  4. Burnistine

Burnistine Active Member

First of all, I think you must realize that the opinions of a few don't represent the world as a whole. Some time back I had to get that straight in my head also. Second, facial expressions do the trick for me. In my family saga, I have two sophisticated friends who go back and forth. One is a smart-butt. The other, classy, well-mannered. Of course, the smart-butt is a little jealous of the high-class one. The smart-butt ask insulting questions enough for the reader not to like her. That's until, once things cool down and get serious, the reader realizes she's of value to the high-society snob.

So, in short, I think it's the language they speak that conveys the image of bantering or die-hard seriousness. Don't forget to add a touch of body language. But don't force it. Readers will need an image of what their faces expose. A sly grin. A wink. A simple Humph!

Imaginarily likes this.