1. rooikeriter

rooikeriter New Member

transcribing

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by rooikeriter, Jan 14, 2014.

Hello all. trying to write a how to book for my field of labor (Mechanic). Unfortunately can't type worth a flip. Would LOVE!!! to speak into my iphone 4 while going over steps of troubleshooting various problems and have it converted to usable text that i could save / edit. Does anyone have any experience / suggestions / comments on what's available as an app or otherwise do the task as i described? Is this technology even developed enough to use in this way?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I work for the USDOJ District of Puerto Rico as an interpreter and translator. I also do tons of transcription work for them that I then translate into English. I use two different pieces of software. One is called F5 (F4 if you're on a Windows machine), and the other is called Expresscribe. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, which is why I use both. I use a USB connected pedal made by Infinity. Those usually run around $50 - $70 USD. If you're going to be transcribing, you absolutely want a pedal. Trust me on this. ;) Any decent in-the-ear or over-the-ear headphones will do.

[​IMG]

3. rooikeriter

rooikeriter New Member

4. rooikeriter

rooikeriter New Member

thanks for your response, but i'm looking for something more along the lines of voice recorder or dictation apps for the phone itself. That way i could physically go through the troubleshooting process while recording and have the recording transcribed as i went, or at a later time. I assume this would be like recording a live classroom lecture and review / edit at a later time.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ah, understood. :) I don't have much to offer on that end of things. I'm the guy you give the recording to for transcription. :cool:

6. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Such things are not cheap and I don't think they make one for phones. Google up "Dragon Speaking."

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, 'dragon' is the only system I know of that can turn your spoken words into text on your computer...